Send Space & Free Downloads

Mike B.

Hi All,

In the past it was advised to turn off JAVA scripts in browsers other than IE, and in IE it was advised to stop Active X Controls from
running & turn off JAVA scripts when downloading from Send Space using a free account.

What advice is there for downloading from Send Space using a free account with chromium browsers?  I cancelled my pro Send Space account last year because it seemed to be broke more often than working.  I don't download very often , and I'm using Chrome or Brave as my default browser, so would someone please advise as to the safety with downloading using a free account?  All input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Lisa Belville

Mike, I use Google Chrome and Brave and this is how I download free Sendspace files.

I find the button saying download file.� There's a control shift keystroke associated with this, but I don't use that.� I use the context key and find the save link as option and press enter.� This opens a normal save as dialog.

I've used this method for quite a while and haven't gotten any nasties yet.

HTH

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
On 5/20/2021 5:14 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi All,
�
In the past it was advised to turn off JAVA scripts�in browsers other than IE, and in IE it was advised to stop Active X Controls from
running & turn off JAVA scripts when downloading from Send Space using a free account.
�
What advice is there for downloading from Send Space using a free account with chromium browsers?� I cancelled my pro Send Space account last year because it seemed to be broke more often than working.� I don't download very often , and I'm using Chrome or Brave as my default browser, so would someone please advise as to the safety with downloading using a free account?� All input is greatly appreciated.� Thanks mooy moocho.
�
�
Stay safe and take care.� Mike.

Gene

I used to advise what you are discussing and I still would except that I found out about a simpler way. 

Instead of turning off JAVA script and Active X controls if you are using Internet Explorer, or JAVA script with any other browser, treat the download button as though it is a link.  it actually is a link, coded to appear as a button.

Don’t activate the button.  Open the context menu and use save target as or whatever your browser calls it, it may be called ssave link as.  When you find it and press enter on it in the context menu, a download dialog will come up and you won’t be exposed to any advertising.

If you are using JAWS, you may not bbe able to work with the link if you use the context menu key because of an alignment bug.  If you stay in the virtual pc cursor and use the right click mouse command, if you are on the button, the context menu will open for the button.  If you use the context menu key, you may work with something you aren’t on.  This isn’t necessary with NVDA.  I haven’t used JAWS for years and this bug may have been corrected but I wouldn’t count on it.  It was present for many years when I was using JAWS.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 5:14 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Send Space & Free Downloads

Hi All,

In the past it was advised to turn off JAVA scripts in browsers other than IE, and in IE it was advised to stop Active X Controls from

What advice is there for downloading from Send Space using a free account with chromium browsers?  I cancelled my pro Send Space account last year because it seemed to be broke more often than working.  I don't download very often , and I'm using Chrome or Brave as my default browser, so would someone please advise as to the safety with downloading using a free account?  All input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Mike B.

Hi Lisa & Gene,

Thank you both very much.  I rarely download from Send Space any more, and you can bet that your suggestions is the way I'll go the next time.  Thanks again.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Send Space & Free Downloads

Mike, I use Google Chrome and Brave and this is how I download free Sendspace files.

I find the button saying download file.� There's a control shift keystroke associated with this, but I don't use that.� I use the context key and find the save link as option and press enter.� This opens a normal save as dialog.

HTH

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi All,
�
In the past it was advised to turn off JAVA scripts�in browsers other than IE, and in IE it was advised to stop Active X Controls from
�
What advice is there for downloading from Send Space using a free account with chromium browsers?� I cancelled my pro Send Space account last year because it seemed to be broke more often than working.� I don't download very often , and I'm using Chrome or Brave as my default browser, so would someone please advise as to the safety with downloading using a free account?� All input is greatly appreciated.� Thanks mooy moocho.
�
�

Mike B.

Hi Lisa,

Did you know that in your message there's extra symbols being inserted between sentences?  At the end of the sentences, right after the period, there's these symbols: �

These symbols appear 3 times in your reply to me.  I believe this is an email client setting, but maybe you want your messages this way.  I'm only saying something in case you're not aware of them little critters.

HTH

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi All,
�
�
�
�

Lisa Belville

Oh yes, I know about them.� I've played around with the settings in Thunderbird, but they don't seem to go away.

Right now I have messages displaying in simple HTML and they're being sent with plain text.

I don't see them until I read a post on a list. It has to be something TB is putting in there.� It's not just on lists, it's to anyone regardless of text or HTML.

It's very annoying and makes me look like a worse writer than I am.� LOL

Any thoughts?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
On 5/20/2021 8:33 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi Lisa,
�
Did you know that in your message there's extra symbols being inserted between sentences?� At the end of the sentences, right after the period, there's these symbols: �
�
These symbols appear 3 times in your reply to me.� I believe this is an email client setting, but maybe you want your messages this way.� I'm only saying something in case you're not aware of them little critters.
�
�

HTH

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi All,
�
�
�
�

Gene

Its an encoding mismatch.  If you see these symbols in many messages you read, you are reading messages using an encoding that isn’t commonly used on the list.  I know how you change encoding for messages you read but not for messages you write.  Perhaps the setting is the same and done with the same setting change.  Someone with more technical knowledge can explain it.  Different languages use different encodings for some carachters.

Try switching to Western and see if that solves the problem.

In thunderbird, open the menus, alt, then type v to move to the view menu.
Down arrow to encoding and press enter.
Down arrow to western and press enter.  Now see if messages you read have the unwanted carachters.  List members will, I hope, advise you about whether messages you send still have the unwanted carachters.

Gene

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 10:06 AM

Oh yes, I know about them.� I've played around with the settings in Thunderbird, but they don't seem to go away.

Right now I have messages displaying in simple HTML and they're being sent with plain text.

I don't see them until I read a post on a list. It has to be something TB is putting in there.� It's not just on lists, it's to anyone regardless of text or HTML.

Any thoughts?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi Lisa,
�
Did you know that in your message there's extra symbols being inserted between sentences?� At the end of the sentences, right after the period, there's these symbols: �
�
These symbols appear 3 times in your reply to me.� I believe this is an email client setting, but maybe you want your messages this way.� I'm only saying something in case you're not aware of them little critters.
�
�

HTH

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi All,
�
�
�
�

Gene

Also, before you change the setting, down arrow through all of them and remember what ssetting you are using, in case you want to return to it for some reason.

Gene

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 10:18 AM

Its an encoding mismatch.  If you see these symbols in many messages you read, you are reading messages using an encoding that isn’t commonly used on the list.  I know how you change encoding for messages you read but not for messages you write.  Perhaps the setting is the same and done with the same setting change.  Someone with more technical knowledge can explain it.  Different languages use different encodings for some carachters.

Try switching to Western and see if that solves the problem.

In thunderbird, open the menus, alt, then type v to move to the view menu.
Down arrow to encoding and press enter.
Down arrow to western and press enter.  Now see if messages you read have the unwanted carachters.  List members will, I hope, advise you about whether messages you send still have the unwanted carachters.

Gene
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 10:06 AM

Any thoughts?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi Lisa,
�
�
�
�

HTH

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi All,
�
�
�
�

Mike B.

Hi Lisa,

Okay I just installed T-Bird to play around and I think I found the settings for this.  Try the following to see if your settings are the same.
1. While in the In-box press, Alt + T, for the Tool menu, up arrow to, Options and press enter.

2. Tab until you get to the Advanced button and press the spacebar to open.

3. Now tab several times to the following, Text Encoding Horizontal Outgoing Mail: Alt+Shift+u Combo box
Unicode (UTF-8)

Text Encoding
Horizontal Incoming Mail: Alt+Shift+I Combo box
Unicode (UTF-8)

Text Encoding
checked When possible, use the default text encoding in replies Alt+Shift+h check box

The above are my settings and I don't get the extra symbols, � , when I send / receive messages, and I set T-Bird to Original HTML, or whatever the option is above simple HTML.

HTH

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 8:06 AM

Any thoughts?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi Lisa,
�
�
�
�

HTH

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi All,
�
�
�
�

Gene

Why don’t you use simple HTML?  Its safer.  Simple HTML allows formatting information used in a message but won’t let HTML code run.  While its not likely that malicious HTML code will be present in an e-mail, why take an unnecessary risk for no benefit?

Gene

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 7:32 PM

Hi Lisa,

Okay I just installed T-Bird to play around and I think I found the settings for this.  Try the following to see if your settings are the same.
1. While in the In-box press, Alt + T, for the Tool menu, up arrow to, Options and press enter.

3. Now tab several times to the following, Text Encoding Horizontal Outgoing Mail: Alt+Shift+u Combo box
Unicode (UTF-8)

Text Encoding
Unicode (UTF-8)

Text Encoding
checked When possible, use the default text encoding in replies Alt+Shift+h check box

The above are my settings and I don't get the extra symbols, � , when I send / receive messages, and I set T-Bird to Original HTML, or whatever the option is above simple HTML.

HTH

Any thoughts?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi Lisa,
�
�
�
�

HTH

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi All,
�
�
�
�

Mike B.

Mainly because I haven't researched the differences between the 2 settings and I don't plan on using this email client except for experimental and learning purposes.  I will take your advice and change that setting since you have the experience with these settings.  Thanks for the tip.

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 5:40 PM

Why don’t you use simple HTML?  Its safer.  Simple HTML allows formatting information used in a message but won’t let HTML code run.  While its not likely that malicious HTML code will be present in an e-mail, why take an unnecessary risk for no benefit?

Gene
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 7:32 PM

Hi Lisa,

Unicode (UTF-8)

Text Encoding
Unicode (UTF-8)

Text Encoding

HTH

Any thoughts?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi Lisa,
�
�
�
�

HTH

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Hi All,
�
�
�
�