thunder bird not accessible

heather albright

Hello, my thunder bird updated and now it is inaccessible! Anyone have this issue? Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ron Canazzi

My Thunderbird updated recently.  What version is yours?

Mine is 78.10.2 (32-bit) and the program says it's up to date.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

heather albright

Am using 78.10.2 64 bit. Thanks cant read with either jaws or NVDA.  Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

My Thunderbird updated recently.  What version is yours?

Mine is 78.10.2 (32-bit) and the program says it's up to date.

Hello, my thunder bird updated and now it is inaccessible! Anyone have this issue? Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ann Parsons

Morning all,

Heather, this message is not helpful. All it does is bring up a bunch of questions.

Now, I will preface this here message by stating that I don't use Thunderbird. However, the questions apply whenever the general catch term "inaccessible" is used. Here are the questions.

First, what is the program doing or not doing which makes it unusable for you?

Next, What is it that you want to do which you cannot do now?

Third, what error messages or status messages are you getting? What is the computer telling you?

Finally, have you looked in the current documentation? Have the commands changed? Have the ways to access the aspects of the program changed? Have you read the "What's New?" text file?

Before we can help with the so-called inaccessibility problem, these questions need to be answered. I say so-called because the line between inaccessibility and user ignorance is very thin. This is particularly true of a program which has been a model for accessibility for years and is used by thousands of people who are blind or visually impaired. There's absolutely nothing wrong with ignorance because it can be remedied with knowledge. It is only deliberately remaining ignorant that is the problem. Any Thunderbird users online? Can you all help Heather?

I suspect that the ways to input commands or to get at menus have changed. I think once the new command set is known, all will be well. Now, I could be wrong. Software companies have, in the past, made huge bloopers which have actually made their software inaccessible, and this is a possibility, but it's a remote one. If the commands have changed, maybe Accessible World or BITS or Mystic Access may want to think about a tutorial or presentation. That would solve the problem handily.

Ann P.

Hello, my thunder bird updated and now it is inaccessible! Anyone have this issue? Heather
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

heather albright

Hello, when my thunderbird updated, I could not access my messages at all. I could write messages using the keyboard shortcuts but, I could not read the same message I wrote. I went threw all of this yesterday and have determined to try to redo my thunderbird, I have kept the profiles folder but if it is corrupted, I will have to redo all my accounts. So it was inaccessible to me when I wrote to the list. I wish someone could screen shared with me, to see what I am talking about. I feel like I am not being believed when it is clearly happening to me. Thank you, Heather

--

Ann K. Parsons

Portal Tutoring

EMAIL:  akp@...

Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

I don’t think it’s a question of not being believed.  Its what happens when someone is behind in mail and answers the first message in a thread where there is much more discussion.

I think something was damaged in the program, I don’t know what, and for some reason, your screen-reader couldn’t read text on screen dealing with messages.

Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 10:56 AM

Hello, when my thunderbird updated, I could not access my messages at all. I could write messages using the keyboard shortcuts but, I could not read the same message I wrote. I went threw all of this yesterday and have determined to try to redo my thunderbird, I have kept the profiles folder but if it is corrupted, I will have to redo all my accounts. So it was inaccessible to me when I wrote to the list. I wish someone could screen shared with me, to see what I am talking about. I feel like I am not being believed when it is clearly happening to me. Thank you, Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Heather, this message is not helpful.  All it does is bring up a bunch

of questions.

Now, I will preface this here message by stating that I don't use

Thunderbird.  However, the questions apply whenever the general catch

term "inaccessible" is used.   Here are the questions.

First, what is the program doing or not doing which makes it unusable for you?

Next,  What is it that you want to do which you cannot do now?

Third, what error messages or status messages are you getting?  What is

the computer telling you?

Finally, have you looked in the current documentation?  Have the

commands changed?  Have the ways to access the aspects of the program

changed?  Have you read the "What's New?"  text file?

Before we can help with the so-called inaccessibility problem, these

questions need to be answered.  I say so-called because the line

between inaccessibility and user ignorance is very thin.  This is

particularly true of a program which has been a model for accessibility

for years and is used by thousands of people who are blind or visually

impaired.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with ignorance because it

can be remedied with knowledge.  It is only deliberately remaining

ignorant that is the problem.  Any Thunderbird users online?  Can you

all help Heather?

I suspect that the ways to input commands or to get at menus have

changed.  I think once the new command set is known, all will be well.

Now, I could be wrong.  Software companies have, in the past, made huge

bloopers which have actually made their software inaccessible, and this

is a possibility, but it's a remote one.   If the commands have

changed, maybe Accessible World or BITS or Mystic Access may want to

think about a tutorial or presentation.   That would solve the problem handily.

Ann P.

> Hello, my thunder bird updated and now it is inaccessible! Anyone have

> this issue? Heather

> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

--

Ann K. Parsons

Portal Tutoring

EMAIL:  akp@...

Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost."

Abbie Taylor

Heather and anyone else needing assistance with adaptive technology, I strongly encourage you to contact Casey Matthews through his site at webfriendlyhelp.com  One of the services he provides is to assist those who use screen readers. He's blind himself, by the way. He can remote into your computer and solve just about any problem. He has helped me on many occasions, and I've been happy with the quality of his work. I hope this is helpful.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

heather albright

Thanks I will think about it. I hate it that a program I used to use seems to be acting strange, could the installation program be bad too? It was a breand new install of thunderbird and it acts like the old one. Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10