thunder bird not accessible

heather albright

Hello, my thunder bird updated and now it is inaccessible! Anyone have this issue? Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ron Canazzi

My Thunderbird updated recently.  What version is yours?

Mine is 78.10.2 (32-bit) and the program says it's up to date.

On 5/21/2021 3:27 PM, heather albright wrote:

Hello, my thunder bird updated and now it is inaccessible! Anyone have this issue? Heather

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

heather albright

Am using 78.10.2 64 bit. Thanks cant read with either jaws or NVDA.  Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 3:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] thunder bird not accessible

My Thunderbird updated recently.  What version is yours?

Mine is 78.10.2 (32-bit) and the program says it's up to date.

On 5/21/2021 3:27 PM, heather albright wrote:

-- 

Ann Parsons

Morning all,

Heather, this message is not helpful. All it does is bring up a bunch of questions.

Now, I will preface this here message by stating that I don't use Thunderbird. However, the questions apply whenever the general catch term "inaccessible" is used. Here are the questions.

First, what is the program doing or not doing which makes it unusable for you?

Next, What is it that you want to do which you cannot do now?

Third, what error messages or status messages are you getting? What is the computer telling you?

Finally, have you looked in the current documentation? Have the commands changed? Have the ways to access the aspects of the program changed? Have you read the "What's New?" text file?

Before we can help with the so-called inaccessibility problem, these questions need to be answered. I say so-called because the line between inaccessibility and user ignorance is very thin. This is particularly true of a program which has been a model for accessibility for years and is used by thousands of people who are blind or visually impaired. There's absolutely nothing wrong with ignorance because it can be remedied with knowledge. It is only deliberately remaining ignorant that is the problem. Any Thunderbird users online? Can you all help Heather?

I suspect that the ways to input commands or to get at menus have changed. I think once the new command set is known, all will be well. Now, I could be wrong. Software companies have, in the past, made huge bloopers which have actually made their software inaccessible, and this is a possibility, but it's a remote one. If the commands have changed, maybe Accessible World or BITS or Mystic Access may want to think about a tutorial or presentation. That would solve the problem handily.

Ann P.

Original message:

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

heather albright

Hello, when my thunderbird updated, I could not access my messages at all. I could write messages using the keyboard shortcuts but, I could not read the same message I wrote. I went threw all of this yesterday and have determined to try to redo my thunderbird, I have kept the profiles folder but if it is corrupted, I will have to redo all my accounts. So it was inaccessible to me when I wrote to the list. I wish someone could screen shared with me, to see what I am talking about. I feel like I am not being believed when it is clearly happening to me. Thank you, Heather

Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 7:19 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Morning all,

Heather, this message is not helpful.  All it does is bring up a bunch

of questions.

Now, I will preface this here message by stating that I don't use

Thunderbird.  However, the questions apply whenever the general catch

term "inaccessible" is used.   Here are the questions.

Next,  What is it that you want to do which you cannot do now?

Third, what error messages or status messages are you getting?  What is

the computer telling you?

Finally, have you looked in the current documentation?  Have the

commands changed?  Have the ways to access the aspects of the program

changed?  Have you read the "What's New?"  text file?

Before we can help with the so-called inaccessibility problem, these

questions need to be answered.  I say so-called because the line

between inaccessibility and user ignorance is very thin.  This is

particularly true of a program which has been a model for accessibility

for years and is used by thousands of people who are blind or visually

impaired.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with ignorance because it

can be remedied with knowledge.  It is only deliberately remaining

ignorant that is the problem.  Any Thunderbird users online?  Can you

all help Heather?

I suspect that the ways to input commands or to get at menus have

changed.  I think once the new command set is known, all will be well. 

Now, I could be wrong.  Software companies have, in the past, made huge

bloopers which have actually made their software inaccessible, and this

is a possibility, but it's a remote one.   If the commands have

changed, maybe Accessible World or BITS or Mystic Access may want to

think about a tutorial or presentation.   That would solve the problem handily.

Ann P.

Original message:

> Hello, my thunder bird updated and now it is inaccessible! Anyone have

> this issue? Heather

> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

>

--

Ann K. Parsons

Portal Tutoring

EMAIL:  akp@...

Portal Tutoring web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info

Gene

I don’t think it’s a question of not being believed.  Its what happens when someone is behind in mail and answers the first message in a thread where there is much more discussion. 

I think something was damaged in the program, I don’t know what, and for some reason, your screen-reader couldn’t read text on screen dealing with messages. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 10:56 AM

Hello, when my thunderbird updated, I could not access my messages at all. I could write messages using the keyboard shortcuts but, I could not read the same message I wrote. I went threw all of this yesterday and have determined to try to redo my thunderbird, I have kept the profiles folder but if it is corrupted, I will have to redo all my accounts. So it was inaccessible to me when I wrote to the list. I wish someone could screen shared with me, to see what I am talking about. I feel like I am not being believed when it is clearly happening to me. Thank you, Heather

Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 7:19 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Morning all,

Heather, this message is not helpful.  All it does is bring up a bunch

of questions.

Now, I will preface this here message by stating that I don't use

Thunderbird.  However, the questions apply whenever the general catch

term "inaccessible" is used.   Here are the questions.

Next,  What is it that you want to do which you cannot do now?

Third, what error messages or status messages are you getting?  What is

the computer telling you?

Finally, have you looked in the current documentation?  Have the

commands changed?  Have the ways to access the aspects of the program

changed?  Have you read the "What's New?"  text file?

Before we can help with the so-called inaccessibility problem, these

questions need to be answered.  I say so-called because the line

between inaccessibility and user ignorance is very thin.  This is

particularly true of a program which has been a model for accessibility

for years and is used by thousands of people who are blind or visually

impaired.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with ignorance because it

can be remedied with knowledge.  It is only deliberately remaining

ignorant that is the problem.  Any Thunderbird users online?  Can you

all help Heather?

I suspect that the ways to input commands or to get at menus have

changed.  I think once the new command set is known, all will be well. 

Now, I could be wrong.  Software companies have, in the past, made huge

bloopers which have actually made their software inaccessible, and this

is a possibility, but it's a remote one.   If the commands have

changed, maybe Accessible World or BITS or Mystic Access may want to

think about a tutorial or presentation.   That would solve the problem handily.

Ann P.

Original message:

> Hello, my thunder bird updated and now it is inaccessible! Anyone have

> this issue? Heather

> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

>

--

Ann K. Parsons

Portal Tutoring

EMAIL:  akp@...

Portal Tutoring web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info

Abbie Taylor

Heather and anyone else needing assistance with adaptive technology, I strongly encourage you to contact Casey Matthews through his site at webfriendlyhelp.com  One of the services he provides is to assist those who use screen readers. He's blind himself, by the way. He can remote into your computer and solve just about any problem. He has helped me on many occasions, and I've been happy with the quality of his work. I hope this is helpful. 
--

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

heather albright

Thanks I will think about it. I hate it that a program I used to use seems to be acting strange, could the installation program be bad too? It was a breand new install of thunderbird and it acts like the old one. Heather

Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 5:04 PM

Heather and anyone else needing assistance with adaptive technology, I strongly encourage you to contact Casey Matthews through his site at webfriendlyhelp.com  One of the services he provides is to assist those who use screen readers. He's blind himself, by the way. He can remote into your computer and solve just about any problem. He has helped me on many occasions, and I've been happy with the quality of his work. I hope this is helpful. 
--

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

If you are saying that you have the same problem after reinstalling the program as with the old one, then it isn’t very likely isn’t the program.  If the installation file were corrupted, the program would very likely not install.  But we need to know just what is going on.  Are you saying that you have the same problem now as before?

I believe I have an older installation file I can send you.  You can try that older version.  If it works properly don’t upgrade if, for some unknown reason, the current version doesn’t work properly but the older one does.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 9:06 PM

Thanks I will think about it. I hate it that a program I used to use seems to be acting strange, could the installation program be bad too? It was a breand new install of thunderbird and it acts like the old one. Heather

--

abbietaylor945@...

heather albright

Yes, I reinstalled thunderbird but, it no longer lets me use f6 keys to get to the treeview and I can tab in to the different accounts. When I used thunderbird in the past, the start page came up and I used f6 key that would take me to a treeview box and I could tab between accounts. So I could close the treeviews with the arrow keys. I do not see any of this now. I cant even find the update thunderbird. I only see it in the about thunderbird page and I hit update and nothing happens! I do not even get a message that you using the latest update of thunderbird.  Thank you Heather

Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 8:19 AM

If you are saying that you have the same problem after reinstalling the program as with the old one, then it isn’t very likely isn’t the program.  If the installation file were corrupted, the program would very likely not install.  But we need to know just what is going on.  Are you saying that you have the same problem now as before?

I believe I have an older installation file I can send you.  You can try that older version.  If it works properly don’t upgrade if, for some unknown reason, the current version doesn’t work properly but the older one does.

Gene

--

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

Try control tabbing and see if you move to a different part of the program where the f6 key works. 

Others may suggest settings you can change.  I haven’t seen what you are describing.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 4:17 PM

Yes, I reinstalled thunderbird but, it no longer lets me use f6 keys to get to the treeview and I can tab in to the different accounts. When I used thunderbird in the past, the start page came up and I used f6 key that would take me to a treeview box and I could tab between accounts. So I could close the treeviews with the arrow keys. I do not see any of this now. I cant even find the update thunderbird. I only see it in the about thunderbird page and I hit update and nothing happens! I do not even get a message that you using the latest update of thunderbird.  Thank you Heather

Gene

--

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

As far as not seeing anything about Thunderbird being up-to-date, I’m not sure but I think you are using NVDA.  For some reason, when you are in the about dialog, browse mode is off.  Turn it on, NVDA key space, and then you can move around as though you are on a web page.  You will see the line of text if it is there.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 4:21 PM

Try control tabbing and see if you move to a different part of the program where the f6 key works. 

Others may suggest settings you can change.  I haven’t seen what you are describing.

Gene

Yes, I reinstalled thunderbird but, it no longer lets me use f6 keys to get to the treeview and I can tab in to the different accounts. When I used thunderbird in the past, the start page came up and I used f6 key that would take me to a treeview box and I could tab between accounts. So I could close the treeviews with the arrow keys. I do not see any of this now. I cant even find the update thunderbird. I only see it in the about thunderbird page and I hit update and nothing happens! I do not even get a message that you using the latest update of thunderbird.  Thank you Heather

Gene

--

abbietaylor945@...

heather albright

NO it did not work. Yes I am using nvda. It just says Missoula thunderbirdtool bar tab control home tab selected 1 of 1.When Itab one I get treevie, the next tab says about:grouping. It goes back around with these options.   I tried to control tab and nothing happens.   It tells me I received a message and which account but, I cant read the messages or get to them. I am currently typing in the windows10 mail app listening to thunderbird receiving messages that I cant red in that program. I redid thunderbird and I am having the same issues. Thank you, Heather  

Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 4:27 PM

As far as not seeing anything about Thunderbird being up-to-date, I’m not sure but I think you are using NVDA.  For some reason, when you are in the about dialog, browse mode is off.  Turn it on, NVDA key space, and then you can move around as though you are on a web page.  You will see the line of text if it is there.

Gene

Gene

Gene

--

abbietaylor945@...

heather albright

I forgot to mention I did add the add ons to thunderbird too. It said it was installed but the program is still acting like this. Thanks Heather

Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 11:01 AM

NO it did not work. Yes I am using nvda. It just says Missoula thunderbirdtool bar tab control home tab selected 1 of 1.When Itab one I get treevie, the next tab says about:grouping. It goes back around with these options.   I tried to control tab and nothing happens.   It tells me I received a message and which account but, I cant read the messages or get to them. I am currently typing in the windows10 mail app listening to thunderbird receiving messages that I cant red in that program. I redid thunderbird and I am having the same issues. Thank you, Heather  

Gene

Gene

Gene

--

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

Have you done anhything else around the time this problem started, or has your computer done anything such as a Windows update, or have you uninstalled something?  Are you having any problem using any browsers?  What browsers do you use?

This is beginning to sound like a problem that isn’t a Thunderbird problem.  Do you know about the com registration tool in the NVDA tools submenu? 

I’ve never run it, but running it may fix your problem.  If there are any prompts or dialogs when you run it, I imagine they will be self-explanatory. 

At times, certain files in Windows become unregistered.  This mainly affects the performance of certain browsers but I wonder if it may affect Thunderbird as well.  Though it seems unlikely, running the registration utility might solve the problem.

Also, before you run it, you may want to try another screen-reader to see if Thunderbird is able to be read properly by that screen-reader. 

Gene

NO it did not work. Yes I am using nvda. It just says Missoula thunderbirdtool bar tab control home tab selected 1 of 1.When Itab one I get treevie, the next tab says about:grouping. It goes back around with these options.   I tried to control tab and nothing happens.   It tells me I received a message and which account but, I cant read the messages or get to them. I am currently typing in the windows10 mail app listening to thunderbird receiving messages that I cant red in that program. I redid thunderbird and I am having the same issues. Thank you, Heather 

Gene

Gene

Gene

--

abbietaylor945@...

heather albright

I am using NVDA. I reinstalled thunderbird as a knew copy and set it up. It is running the latest version of windows10. I even restarted the pc after I reinstalled the program, no I did not need to do this but, I wanted to be sure. Yes, I also grabbed the NVDA add ons to NVDA after reading the message about it. So not sure which poltergeist has control over my machine. Cheers Heather   

Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 11:33 AM

Have you done anhything else around the time this problem started, or has your computer done anything such as a Windows update, or have you uninstalled something?  Are you having any problem using any browsers?  What browsers do you use?

This is beginning to sound like a problem that isn’t a Thunderbird problem.  Do you know about the com registration tool in the NVDA tools submenu? 

I’ve never run it, but running it may fix your problem.  If there are any prompts or dialogs when you run it, I imagine they will be self-explanatory. 

At times, certain files in Windows become unregistered.  This mainly affects the performance of certain browsers but I wonder if it may affect Thunderbird as well.  Though it seems unlikely, running the registration utility might solve the problem.

Also, before you run it, you may want to try another screen-reader to see if Thunderbird is able to be read properly by that screen-reader. 

Gene

NO it did not work. Yes I am using nvda. It just says Missoula thunderbirdtool bar tab control home tab selected 1 of 1.When Itab one I get treevie, the next tab says about:grouping. It goes back around with these options.   I tried to control tab and nothing happens.   It tells me I received a message and which account but, I cant read the messages or get to them. I am currently typing in the windows10 mail app listening to thunderbird receiving messages that I cant red in that program. I redid thunderbird and I am having the same issues. Thank you, Heather 

Gene

Gene

Gene

--

abbietaylor945@...

Ron Canazzi

Hi Heather,

It sounds like somehow, some sort of tool bar got installed for Thunderbird.  Have you checked your programs and features area to see if there is anything unfamiliar there?

On 5/24/2021 12:01 PM, heather albright wrote:

Gene

Gene

Gene

--

abbietaylor945@...

-- 

heather albright

I am not sure, It is the portable version, not the installed version. Where do I go to check? The only thing I installed was the portable x program for thunderbird and it only asked me for the location for the portable copy to be put in. My program was ThunderbirdPortable_78.4.0_English . exe. Thanks Heather   

Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 11:46 AM

Hi Heather,

It sounds like somehow, some sort of tool bar got installed for Thunderbird.  Have you checked your programs and features area to see if there is anything unfamiliar there?

Gene

Gene

Gene

--

abbietaylor945@...

-- 

Jaffar Sidek

Heather.  Your TB problem is as peculiar as it is complicating.  First things first, can you access your TB menus, like file, view, options and so on?  This is the first benchmark to test if your apps are working as they should.  If you can access those menus, for example, can you access the usual items in them?  Cheers!

On 25/5/2021 12:53 am, heather albright wrote:

I am not sure, It is the portable version, not the installed version. Where do I go to check? The only thing I installed was the portable x program for thunderbird and it only asked me for the location for the portable copy to be put in. My program was ThunderbirdPortable_78.4.0_English . exe. Thanks Heather   

Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 11:46 AM

Hi Heather,

Gene

Gene

Gene

--

abbietaylor945@...

--