thunderbird help needed

heather albright

I can write a message in thunderbird using the keyboard keystrokes but, I am unable to access my messages after the update. IS there something I should do to make look like it did  before the update? Or can I downgrade to the last version before it updated? I am using my old app the windows mail app. I want my thunderbird back. Thank you Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

heather albright

I apologized I am using thunder bird portable, not the installed program, did not know if this made a difference? Thank You Heather  

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 2:56 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] thunderbird help needed

I can write a message in thunderbird using the keyboard keystrokes but, I am unable to access my messages after the update. IS there something I should do to make look like it did  before the update? Or can I downgrade to the last version before it updated? I am using my old app the windows mail app. I want my thunderbird back. Thank you Heather

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Heather.  My thunderbird was updated too, but I'm not facing the issues you are facing.  Have you tried using it with NVDA?  The NVDA thunderbird combo works well at my end.  Pres Alt+Space and arrow down to Maximize to see if it is disabled.  If not, press enter on it to maximize thunderbird to see if it works.  If you are using it with Jaws, try reloading jaws, then starting the thunderbird app again.  There are many factors that may cause an app to not work as expected, so try these and let us know.  Cheers!

On 22/5/2021 3:55 am, heather albright wrote:

heather albright

I did those suggestions, it still will not read messages in thunderbird. Heather  

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 3:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] thunderbird help needed

Hi Heather.  My thunderbird was updated too, but I'm not facing the issues you are facing.  Have you tried using it with NVDA?  The NVDA thunderbird combo works well at my end.  Pres Alt+Space and arrow down to Maximize to see if it is disabled.  If not, press enter on it to maximize thunderbird to see if it works.  If you are using it with Jaws, try reloading jaws, then starting the thunderbird app again.  There are many factors that may cause an app to not work as expected, so try these and let us know.  Cheers!

heather albright

I have even restarted my pc too. I still cant get to let me read messages. Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 3:17 PM

I did those suggestions, it still will not read messages in thunderbird. Heather  

heather albright

When I open thumderbird, It says home view tab 1 of 1. I cant tab around the program to get to my emboxs from my accounts. I have 3 acounds set up. I can send messagesusing the keyboard shortcuts. But I cant get the program to open a message and read it to me. I did not do  anything weird in the app. It just updated I could no longer use the app.  Thanks Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 3:19 PM

I have even restarted my pc too. I still cant get to let me read messages. Heather

heather albright

Can someone please tell me which folder I should keep from thunderbird so I do not have to redo all my settings again. I am thinking about reinstalling the thunderbird program again. Thanks Heather

heather albright

It also saids home and horizontal  after home tab 1 of 1. I know the messages are coming in be for the life of me I cant get my screen readers to read the messages back to me. Would anyone like to help me fix this please? I tried both screen readers and have checked all my settings from the minue bar and it is sat on the settings I have always used before! Thank you Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 3:38 PM

Can someone please tell me which folder I should keep from thunderbird so I do not have to redo all my settings again. I am thinking about reinstalling the thunderbird program again. Thanks Heather

heather albright

I think it has something to do with my layout as it keeps saying home tab 1 of 1. I used to be able to hit f6 and it would bring me to a tree view box and I could use my arrow keys. But, cant get to do this anymore. I here messages coming in the app. So there is nothing wrong with the connection. Any ideas?  Thanks Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 3:52 PM

It also saids home and horizontal  after home tab 1 of 1. I know the messages are coming in be for the life of me I cant get my screen readers to read the messages back to me. Would anyone like to help me fix this please? I tried both screen readers and have checked all my settings from the minue bar and it is sat on the settings I have always used before! Thank you Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 3:38 PM

Ron Canazzi

Try pressing control + W to close the home screen and see if you go to the inbox.

On 5/21/2021 4:27 PM, heather albright wrote:

When I open thumderbird, It says home view tab 1 of 1. I cant tab around the program to get to my emboxs from my accounts. I have 3 acounds set up. I can send messagesusing the keyboard shortcuts. But I cant get the program to open a message and read it to me. I did not do  anything weird in the app. It just updated I could no longer use the app.  Thanks Heather

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

heather albright

It just closed the app, control w. Thanks Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 4:17 PM

Try pressing control + W to close the home screen and see if you go to the inbox.

On 5/21/2021 4:27 PM, heather albright wrote:

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Heather.  You told us that your installation is a portable one and not a system one.  So, did you install it on an external hard drive or on your system drive? 

On 22/5/2021 4:27 am, heather albright wrote:

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Heather.  The most important folder for you to keep is the "Profile" folder where all your accounts details, your messages and your news group content are stored in database files.  But rather unfortunate is also the fact that when TB installations get into a mess, the profiles folder is the most open to corruptions.  I rather suspect that your thunderbird's mail client's inability to open or read messages is due to some database files in the profiles folder that has been corrupted.  You can keep your profiles folder and reinstall it to your new TB installation.  If it all works as expected, then your profile folder is fine.  If not, delete it, then reset your Tb again because there is no other choice.

On 22/5/2021 4:38 am, heather albright wrote:

heather albright

You for this? I am wondering if I have something not checked that should bechecked. I have included what my settings are saying on thunderbird for the view area as the messages are still comeing in the app as normal.

Could my settings be my issue in not allowing me to read my messages?

thunder bird

In my view minue under view, I have mail tool bar not checked minue bar not checked, folder pain not checked quick tool bar checked unabailable status bar not checked 

under layout,

I have classic view checked, wide view vertical not checked, folder pain not  checked, folder pain columns not checked,

message pain f8 not checked,

under the folders I have

I do not have anything checked

Thank you all for your help. Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 4:40 PM

Hi Heather.  The most important folder for you to keep is the "Profile" folder where all your accounts details, your messages and your news group content are stored in database files.  But rather unfortunate is also the fact that when TB installations get into a mess, the profiles folder is the most open to corruptions.  I rather suspect that your thunderbird's mail client's inability to open or read messages is due to some database files in the profiles folder that has been corrupted.  You can keep your profiles folder and reinstall it to your new TB installation.  If it all works as expected, then your profile folder is fine.  If not, delete it, then reset your Tb again because there is no other choice.

heather albright

Yes, do I keep the data folder? Or just the profile folder under the data folder? Thanks Heather

heather albright

Sorry just got this message in my mail app. It is installed on my desktop as a portable thunderbird copy. Thanks Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 4:31 PM

Hi Heather.  You told us that your installation is a portable one and not a system one.  So, did you install it on an external hard drive or on your system drive? 

On 22/5/2021 4:27 am, heather albright wrote:

Jaffar Sidek

try havint mail toolbar checked, menu checked, message pane checked.

On 22/5/2021 6:03 am, heather albright wrote:

You for this? I am wondering if I have something not checked that should bechecked. I have included what my settings are saying on thunderbird for the view area as the messages are still comeing in the app as normal.

Could my settings be my issue in not allowing me to read my messages?

thunder bird

In my view minue under view, I have mail tool bar not checked minue bar not checked, folder pain not checked quick tool bar checked unabailable status bar not checked 

under layout,

I have classic view checked, wide view vertical not checked, folder pain not  checked, folder pain columns not checked,

message pain f8 not checked,

under the folders I have

I do not have anything checked

Thank you all for your help. Heather

Jaffar Sidek

Just the profile folder.

On 22/5/2021 6:05 am, heather albright wrote:

Yes, do I keep the data folder? Or just the profile folder under the data folder? Thanks Heather

heather albright

Okay, thank you very much for this! Cheers Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 5:24 PM

Just the profile folder.

heather albright

I forgot this is a portable program, where do I go to uninstall it off my pc! Stupid me I tried looking under add remove programs not remembering this was not a installed program. Woe, cheers Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 5:26 PM

Okay, thank you very much for this! Cheers Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 5:24 PM

Just the profile folder.