Alternative Word Processors?

Dave

Hello,

Since last Fall, I have been using NVDA as my main Screen Reader.  I do
so because about this same time JAWS stopped working well in Jarte.

I have called JAWS several times since then, and they tell me they no
longer support Jarte and too bad so sad etc.

So I am asking, are any of you using an alternative Word Processor to MS
Word?

I own MS Word, but frankly, I find it to be such a Headache to use.  If
you love it, please don't write me telling me that you Love it.  I
already know that MS Word has their fans.  I happen not to be one of them.

So if any  here uses another Word Processor, and you like it, would you
share the name of it here?

I am now looking for something to replace Jarte.

Grumpy Dave

Gene

JAWS does work well in JARTE and the JARTE home page explains this.  You can use code when you start JARTE to tell it to rrun in screen-reader mode.  If you do that once, you don’t have to use the code again.  It will run in screen-reader mode when you start JARTE.  That’s the problem.  JARTE doesn’t recognize JAWS as a screen-reader and therefore doesn’t automatically go into screen-reader mode.

Its not a question of JAWS supporting or not supporting JARTE.  It’s a question of having JARTE run in screen-reader mode when it doesn’t know a screen-reader is present.

Since last Fall, I have been using NVDA as my main Screen Reader.  I do
so because about this same time JAWS stopped working well in Jarte.

I have called JAWS several times since then, and they tell me they no
longer support Jarte and too bad so sad etc.

So I am asking, are any of you using an alternative Word Processor to MS
Word?

I own MS Word, but frankly, I find it to be such a Headache to use.  If
you love it, please don't write me telling me that you Love it.  I
already know that MS Word has their fans.  I happen not to be one of them.

So if any  here uses another Word Processor, and you like it, would you
share the name of it here?

I am now looking for something to replace Jarte.

Grumpy Dave

Gene

I made a mistake in my last message on this subject.  You won’t find what I am discussing on the home page.  there is a link on the home page that says Screen-reader mode and if you follow it, you will find information about screen[-reader mode including how to use Jarte with JAWS..

When something happens such as you describe, JARTE stops working with a screen-reader, for example, it’s a good idea to check the web site.  You may find nothing relevant, I wouldn’t be surprised, or the relevant information may be posted later when the developer of the program learns about and addresses the problem, but you may find information that will save you time and trouble.  I don’t know when this information was placed on the site but had it been there around the time this problem arose, you could have continued to use JAWS.

Also, I find technical support staff to be wrong often enough that I don’t assume what they say is correct unless I have good reason to believe so.  Asking about this problem on a list like this when it first arose might have gotten you good help.  Either looking at the web site or asking might have.

I’m going into all this to possibly save you and others unnecessary work and inconvenience in future.

[...]

Joe Orozco

I use a text editor called EdSharp. I originally started using it as a
text editor for HTML tasks, but I could see how using it as a primary
word processor could be beneficial. If interested, let me know, and
I'll send a link. The developer no longer works on updates, though
I've never seen need to have anything fixed on it.--Joe

--
Joe Orozco: Your Message, My Mission
https://joeorozco.com/services/

Mike B.

Hi Dave,

Follow this thread to get the info on making Jarte work with screen reading programs.

From: David Goldfield
JAWS Tip: Is JAWS Not Speaking As You Move Your Cursor? Try Toggling Enhanced Edit Support
In almost all applications moving the cursor or caret using your arrow keys causes JAWS (or any screen reader) to speak the character, word or line as
you use the appropriate cursor movement commands, such as right arrow for next character, control+right arrow for next word, etc. This works nearly 100%
of the time. However, I recently noticed that JAWS wasn’t speaking as I was moving the cursor in
Jarte,
 a Wordpad-like word processor that I often use. This was baffling until I found the fix. (Note: in the interest of full transparency I may have enabled
the setting that I’m about to discuss as a default. Therefore, the problem that I encountered may not actually have been a JAWS issue but may have been
something that I personally enabled.)

If you encounter this problem in Jarte or in any program where cursor navigation isn’t speaking try toggling enhanced edit support. Here’s how you can
locate this feature.

1. Press insert+F2 for the list of JAWS managers and press enter on Settings Center. As a quick shortcut pressing insert+6 will open Settings Center. This
is the 6 on the row of numbers and not on the number pad. If you are asked to create a new configuration press enter to accept.

2. In the search edit field type, enhanced.

3. Navigate with the down arrow key through the list of results and look for “enhanced edit support.” While this should be enabled for Word it should be
disabled for Jarte. Pressing the space key toggles this setting from being not checked (turned off) to being checked (enabled.)

4. Press enter twice, which will close Settings Center and save your changes.
David Goldfield,

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

[...]

Leigh Winfield

Ok me too, do you remember Freedom Scientific HJ Pad? It's a nice little word processer and I'm only guessing here, works with JAWS.
Leigh

Since last Fall, I have been using NVDA as my main Screen Reader. I do so because about this same time JAWS stopped working well in Jarte.

I have called JAWS several times since then, and they tell me they no longer support Jarte and too bad so sad etc.

So I am asking, are any of you using an alternative Word Processor to MS Word?

I own MS Word, but frankly, I find it to be such a Headache to use. If you love it, please don't write me telling me that you Love it. I already know that MS Word has their fans. I happen not to be one of them.

So if any here uses another Word Processor, and you like it, would you share the name of it here?

I am now looking for something to replace Jarte.

Grumpy Dave

Madison Martin

Have you tried notepad? I haven't used it much, but when I have I've liked it. I find it's grate for getting rid of unwanted graphics and tables. Hope this helps.

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Have you tried Ed Sharp? It is an excellent text editor.

Download
https://www.freelists.org/webpage/edsharp
EdSharp User Guide
https://github.com/EmpowermentZone/EdSharp/blob/master/EdSharp.md
Note: the GitHub site also has a download, but I couldn't get that one to work, so I used the first

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring