using NVDA

Madison Martin

Hi all,
Okay, so I decided to download NVDA. What do I need to know about using it? I'm
used to using Jaws, so what are the differences and similarities between the two
screen readers? I'm not sure I want to give up Jaws for good, but I'd like to
know how to use it in case I ever can't afford to upgrade my SMA. Look forward
to any help anyone can provide me!!!! Using the latest version of NVDA and
Windows 10. Thanks Madison

Gene

\There is a web page for people who are learning NVDA and who use JAWS.  there are other resources but I’ll leave discussion of them to people who know more about them.

After looking at the page, while it contains information that should be useful, it doesn’t contain basic necessary information that I think it should.
Here is that information, or at least here is what I can recall now that is such information.  If I have forgotten anything, others may add to it.

The way to run NVDA is with the short cut command control alt n.  That is if you have installed NVDA.  If you use NVDA as a portable, you need to make your own shortcut command if you want to run it using a short cut.

To shut down NVDA, use the command NVDA key, either insert by default, key q.  That is, hold either insert and type q.

Then press enter.
there is more than one way to increase or decrease the voice rate.  One way is to use the command control NVDA v.  That is, hold control and insert or whatever key you are using as the NVDA key, and type v.
A voice dialog will open.
Tab around and make changes as desired.
To switch the synthesizer you are using, use control NVDA key s to open the select synthesizer dialog.
I won’t go into that more here.
the command for read title bar is NVDA key t, insert t using the default NVDA key.  this is the same as the default command in JAWS.

I won’t go into other settings in detail but I will discuss how to make changes you may wish in certain very specific cases.

If you want links and controls to be on their own lines, never two or more on a single line, open the browse mode dialog, NVDA control b.  Tab to use screen layout when supported.  it is a check box.  Uncheck it with the space bar, tab to and activate ok.  NVDA will now behave the way JAWS does on web sites by default in this respect.
If you want to make NVDA announce less items on web pages, open the document formatting dialog, control NVDA key d.  Tab around and look at the various options.  Change what you want.

I won’t go into other things in this message.  I will say that when you switch screen-readers, a lot or most of what you do will remain the same.  A lot or most of what people do is actually using Windows or program commands.  for this reason, switching screen-readers isn’t nearly as difficult as a lot of people think.  I’m not saying there isn’t anything to learn, especially when you get into more advanced functions.  But a lot of what people do will remain the same or very similar.  Also, NVDA uses the same or just about the same quick navigation keys as JAWS, h for heading, b for button, etc..

Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2021 11:13 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] using NVDA

Hi all,
Okay, so I decided to download NVDA. What do I need to know about using it? I'm
used to using Jaws, so what are the differences and similarities between the two
screen readers? I'm not sure I want to give up Jaws for good, but I'd like to
know how to use it in case I ever can't afford to upgrade my SMA. Look forward
to any help anyone can provide me!!!! Using the latest version of NVDA and
Windows 10. Thanks Madison

John Holcomb II

Gene,

What do you mean by this entire part about links on one line?

I don’t see links on one line using Jaws latest by default.

If I remember correctly, Smart reading is on by default in JAWS.

John