using NVDA

Madison Martin

Hi all,
Okay, so I decided to download NVDA. What do I need to know about using it? I'm
used to using Jaws, so what are the differences and similarities between the two
screen readers? I'm not sure I want to give up Jaws for good, but I'd like to
know how to use it in case I ever can't afford to upgrade my SMA. Look forward
to any help anyone can provide me!!!! Using the latest version of NVDA and
Windows 10. Thanks Madison

Gene

\There is a web page for people who are learning NVDA and who use JAWS.  there are other resources but I’ll leave discussion of them to people who know more about them.

After looking at the page, while it contains information that should be useful, it doesn’t contain basic necessary information that I think it should.
Here is that information, or at least here is what I can recall now that is such information.  If I have forgotten anything, others may add to it.

The way to run NVDA is with the short cut command control alt n.  That is if you have installed NVDA.  If you use NVDA as a portable, you need to make your own shortcut command if you want to run it using a short cut.

To shut down NVDA, use the command NVDA key, either insert by default, key q.  That is, hold either insert and type q.

Then press enter. 
there is more than one way to increase or decrease the voice rate.  One way is to use the command control NVDA v.  That is, hold control and insert or whatever key you are using as the NVDA key, and type v. 
A voice dialog will open.
Tab around and make changes as desired.
To switch the synthesizer you are using, use control NVDA key s to open the select synthesizer dialog.
I won’t go into that more here.
the command for read title bar is NVDA key t, insert t using the default NVDA key.  this is the same as the default command in JAWS.

I won’t go into other settings in detail but I will discuss how to make changes you may wish in certain very specific cases. 

If you want links and controls to be on their own lines, never two or more on a single line, open the browse mode dialog, NVDA control b.  Tab to use screen layout when supported.  it is a check box.  Uncheck it with the space bar, tab to and activate ok.  NVDA will now behave the way JAWS does on web sites by default in this respect.
If you want to make NVDA announce less items on web pages, open the document formatting dialog, control NVDA key d.  Tab around and look at the various options.  Change what you want. 

I won’t go into other things in this message.  I will say that when you switch screen-readers, a lot or most of what you do will remain the same.  A lot or most of what people do is actually using Windows or program commands.  for this reason, switching screen-readers isn’t nearly as difficult as a lot of people think.  I’m not saying there isn’t anything to learn, especially when you get into more advanced functions.  But a lot of what people do will remain the same or very similar.  Also, NVDA uses the same or just about the same quick navigation keys as JAWS, h for heading, b for button, etc..

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2021 11:13 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] using NVDA

Hi all,
used to using Jaws, so what are the differences and similarities between the two

John Holcomb II

Gene,

What do you mean by this entire part about links on one line?

I don’t see links on one line using Jaws latest by default.

If I remember correctly, Smart reading is on by default in JAWS.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2021 12:58 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] using NVDA

If you want links and controls to be on their own lines, never two or more on a single line, open the browse mode dialog, NVDA control b.  Tab to use screen layout when supported.  it is a check box.  Uncheck it with the space bar, tab to and activate ok.  NVDA will now behave the way JAWS does on web sites by default in this respect.

Gene

Gene

The default in JAWS is not to show more than one link on a line even if a sighted user sees more than one.  NVdA, in what I think is a bad default setting, is the opposite.  If there is more than one link on a line, it will be shown that way.  Usually, it is much more convenient to only have one displayed on a line, that is my opinion having tried both.  Most links are seen one per line anyway but there are times where you see more than one.  . 

There are times, such as in forums, when a user may want to see more than one per line but in general, one per line is more convenient, again, my strong opinion.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2021 5:54 PM

Gene,

What do you mean by this entire part about links on one line?

I don’t see links on one line using Jaws latest by default.

If I remember correctly, Smart reading is on by default in JAWS.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2021 12:58 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Gene

Ann Parsons

Morning all,

NVDA and Jaws are similar. I'd put NVDA on your system, and leave Jaws there too. You can switch between them.

Many of the commands are identical e.g. read current line, read title bar, get time and more. NVDA behaves the same way as does Jaws in edit boxes.

If 'twere me, I'd go looking for tutorials. NV Access has an aexcellent one, though it is not free. It is well worth the price. Here is an example of what google can find for you.

https://www.afb.org › assistive-technology-videos › learn-...

Ann P.

Original message:

Hi all,

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."