CD Database (CDDB)

John Holcomb II

Since  CDex remote CDDB isn’t working anymore, does anyone have a solution for how to get what the disk is from a different database?

Any idea who Winamp uses?

I’ve not used Winamp to rip CDs, but I’m ok with that provided I can rip to *.flac.

John

Gene

The last time I ripped  using Windows Media Player, perhaps three years ago, it still named tracks.  I don’t know which data-base it uses and I don’t know if you can tell CDEX to use a different data-base.

In the old days, CDEX gave you a choice of two data-bases.  As I recall, there was something in options about it but I didn’t use the program much and it was a long time ago so it may have been somewhere else, though I don’t think so.

If you want to continue to use CDEX, I can tell you how to find a track list for most albums so you can manually name the tracks.  While you wouldn’t want to go through the work if you rip a lot of CDs, if you just rip one now and then, it might be worth doing for the convenience of continuing to use the same program.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2021 10:00 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] CD Database (CDDB)

Since  CDex remote CDDB isn’t working anymore, does anyone have a solution for how to get what the disk is from a different database?

I’ve not used Winamp to rip CDs, but I’m ok with that provided I can rip to *.flac.

John

John Holcomb II

I’d be ripping many CDS, so manually naming tracks isn’t an option. Plus I’d need to then manually put them in the ID3 tags.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2021 11:23 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] CD Database (CDDB)

The last time I ripped  using Windows Media Player, perhaps three years ago, it still named tracks.  I don’t know which data-base it uses and I don’t know if you can tell CDEX to use a different data-base.

In the old days, CDEX gave you a choice of two data-bases.  As I recall, there was something in options about it but I didn’t use the program much and it was a long time ago so it may have been somewhere else, though I don’t think so.

If you want to continue to use CDEX, I can tell you how to find a track list for most albums so you can manually name the tracks.  While you wouldn’t want to go through the work if you rip a lot of CDs, if you just rip one now and then, it might be worth doing for the convenience of continuing to use the same program.

Gene

Since  CDex remote CDDB isn’t working anymore, does anyone have a solution for how to get what the disk is from a different database?

John

Gene

I found this page that gives instructions for how to use a different data-base.  the instructions aren’t written for any specific program but if you can apply them to CDEX, the problem should be solved.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2021 10:35 AM

I’d be ripping many CDS, so manually naming tracks isn’t an option. Plus I’d need to then manually put them in the ID3 tags.

John

Gene

John

John Holcomb II

Thanks, that worked like a champ!

Now that I told CDex to point to gnudb.org for its remote CDDB everything’s working just as it did before!

John

Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2021 11:45 AM

I found this page that gives instructions for how to use a different data-base.  the instructions aren’t written for any specific program but if you can apply them to CDEX, the problem should be solved.

Gene

John

Gene

John

Gene

That's  good.  Since the developers haven't changed the data-base the program uses, it raises the question whether they are developing the program in any way any longer.  It doesn't sound like it.

Gene

On 7/3/2021 11:22 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:

Now that I told CDex to point to gnudb.org for its remote CDDB everything’s working just as it did before!

John

Gene

John

Gene

John

John Holcomb II

I haven’t downloaded it in a while, so I’ve got an old version I’m sure.

The last  stable version W was released in august 2020.

This is according to their homepage at:

CDex | Free CD to MP3 converter, ripper, FLAC, M4A, WMA, OGG, CD extractor

John

Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2021 12:37 PM

That's  good.  Since the developers haven't changed the data-base the program uses, it raises the question whether they are developing the program in any way any longer.  It doesn't sound like it.

Gene

On 7/3/2021 11:22 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:

John

Gene

John

Gene

John