Windows Key + Up Arrow Maximizes Window

Mike B.

3 stars for the maximize keyboard command.

Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts
Products this article applies to region
Windows 10
Products this article applies to region end
article
Keyboard shortcuts are keys or combinations of keys that provide an alternate way to do something you'd typically do with a mouse.

Here are several common keyboard shortcuts:

list of 8 items
•  Copy: Ctrl + C

•  Cut: Ctrl + X

•  Paste: Ctrl + V

***•  Maximize Window: F11 or Windows logo key  + Up Arrow

•  Task View: Windows logo key  + Tab

•  Switch between open apps: Windows logo key  + D

•  Shutdown options: Windows logo key  + X

•  Lock your PC: Windows logo key  + L
list end

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

I don’t know how f11 may work outside of browsers in Windows 10.  If that is another way to maximize a window outside of a browser, it still appears to be a full screen toggle in a browser.  I doubt the browser would let Windows intercept and override its own internal command.

3 stars for the maximize keyboard command.

Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts
Products this article applies to region
Windows 10
Products this article applies to region end
article
Keyboard shortcuts are keys or combinations of keys that provide an alternate way to do something you'd typically do with a mouse.

Here are several common keyboard shortcuts:

list of 8 items
•  Copy: Ctrl + C

•  Cut: Ctrl + X

•  Paste: Ctrl + V

***•  Maximize Window: F11 or Windows logo key  + Up Arrow

•  Task View: Windows logo key  + Tab

•  Switch between open apps: Windows logo key  + D

•  Shutdown options: Windows logo key  + X

•  Lock your PC: Windows logo key  + L
list end

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Vicki W

Now this is interesting because it does nothing for my screen at all. F11 changes it in the browser, but it doesn't change it in the way it should. If I press alt space bar and check to see if it's maximized, it tells me that it is, but it isn't really.

This is a laptop, so I'm wondering if there isn't a setting in displays that is getting in the way and needs to be changed.

Vicki

[...]

When you press, F11, in the browser it'll maximize the screen, but you can't access the menues when you do this.  I'm not debating whether keystrokes work only in browsers or not in browsers, I'm only saying pressing, Windows key + up arrow, is the Windows keystroke for maximizing windows and it doesn't hurt anything to try something if nothing else is working.  The same for the system context menu, Alt + spacebar, keystroke.

Exactly what problem are you having?  Your problem may not have anything to do with a maximized screen.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

[...]

Have you tried other programs to see if maximize works as it should?  As I understand it, when a program is maximized, the program window takes the entire screen.  When you try to maximize the browser, what happens and what do you want to happen?

Gene

[...]

You are using incorrect terminology.  There is no such thing as maximizing the screen.  There is full screen, f11, and maximizing a program, the maximize command.  I never said which one should be tried.  I didn’t know what is wanted.  I have no objection to both being tried.

I talked about f11 being a possible duplicate of the maximize command in programs that don’t have full screen because the page you sent specifically stated that f11 is maximize.  I don’t know if the page is correct.  F11 has never been a maximize command.  It has been, for as long as I’ve known the command, a toggle for full screen or not full screen, I don’t know what you call it, in programs that support full screen.  Therefore, I speculated about whether the command had been changed in Windows 10.  I said that if it has, it is very unlikely that Windows would stop the command working as browsers intend, that is, as a full screen toggle.

At this point, I am very suspicious that the page is in error.  there is no need for yet another maximize command.  there are already three keyboard ways to maximize a program that I know.

Perhaps others will comment.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

If I press Alt plus Spacebar, it says Context menu. I used
to be able to maximize a window with those key strokes by
pressing Alt+Spacebar+X.

3 stars for the maximize keyboard command.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-keybo
ard-shortcuts-3d444b08-3a00-abd6-67da-ecfc07e86b98

Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts
Products this article applies to region
Windows 10
Products this article applies to region end
article
Keyboard shortcuts are keys or combinations of keys
that provide an alternate way to do something you'd
typically do with a mouse.

Here are several common keyboard shortcuts:

list of 8 items
. Copy: Ctrl + C

. Cut: Ctrl + X

. Paste: Ctrl + V

***. Maximize Window: F11 or Windows logo key + Up
Arrow

. Task View: Windows logo key + Tab

. Switch between open apps: Windows logo key + D

. Shutdown options: Windows logo key + X

. Lock your PC: Windows logo key + L
list end

Stay safe & take care. Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to
say: "Close Enough!"

Gene

You still should be able to.  I don’t know why you hear context menu.  If you arrow through the menu and don’t hear what is expected, things like restore, minimize, maximize, and perhaps one or two other things, there is a problem.

Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2021 6:29 PM

[...]

I arrowed and got to minimize and maximize in the Context Menu with Alt+Spacebar. Somehow, at least when in Outlook, I can't use letter navigation.

[...]

Veronica Kirk

When using Outlook I got the same results that Gene mentioned.

Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2021 6:29 PM

[...]

John Holcomb II

Me too. In outlook everything works just like Geen said for me.

John

Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2021 6:29 PM

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

You still can do that. In Windows there are usually at least two ways to do anything.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Vicki W

The problem is that the screen is very small when focused on a webpage. I don't need to have any other programs open, just one and it still is very small.

[...]

See if the below helps.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/why-are-my-windows-opening-small-on-the-computer
Why Are My Windows Opening Small on the Computer?
By   Lara Webster
article
Google Nears 10th Anniversary
 Internet browser windows can have multiple tabs open at the same time.
Image Credit: Patrik Stollarz/Getty Images News/Getty Images

Whether you are using Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox to browse the Internet, your browser windows can be adjusted to a variety of sizes. If
your windows are always opening in a smaller version it reflects the current settings of your Internet browser. You can change the settings so that windows
always open as large as possible.

 Small Windows

Small windows on an Internet browser are referred to "normal windows" and they are often the default setting for a Web browser. For your browser window
to occupy your entire screen it must be set to "Maximize" mode. The process for changing the size in which a window opens is the same for Google Chrome,
Internet Explorer and Firefox.

 Changing Settings

If you want all Internet browser windows to open across your full computer screen, locate the shortcut to the browser on your desktop or recently visited
programs list. Right-click on the shortcut icon and choose "Properties" from the context menu that appears. Go to the "Shortcut" tab and locate the "Run"
line, which holds a drop-down menu. Choose "Maximized" from the menu and then click "OK" to save your new setting.

 Individual Website Settings

Even if you ask your browser to open all windows in a maximized view, sometimes a website has settings that will not allow it to adhere to your request.
In that case the website will still open in a normal size window. You can always, however, manually expand an Internet browser window so that it fills
your entire computer screen. When you manually change a window size and close it in that state, your browser will remember the setting the next time you
open a window.

 Manually Maximizing Windows

To manually enlarge your browser window, click the square icon in the top right corner of the browser window located immediately to the left of the "X"
icon. Alternatively, press and hold the "Alt" key while you press the space bar on your keyboard. When the menu appears in the top left corner of your
browser, hit the "X" key, which is the shortcut for opening a maximized window.
article end

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

[...]

If you maximize the program, is the screen still very small?  And by that do you mean the entire program or just the display of the web page with the program taking up much more room?  At this point, I’m not sure what is causing the problem.

Gene

[...]

Maximizing the program and or the screen doesn't change anything. I even set it to open the program maximized rather than normal and nothing changed. It's not a big deal to me, but my husband would like the appearance to be what it was awhile back. I'm not certain what changed.

Thank you to everyone who helped.

Vicki

[...]

Also, what happens if you do two things in this order:
First maximize the program so the actual program window takes the entire screen.  Now, turn on full screen, f11.  The web page should then take up the entire program window and since the program window is now taking up the entire screen, it should be large.

It may be that you may need sighted help to adjust the size of the web page so that when you open a web page, it fills the window without you having to do these things.  But for now, if this works, if you do this at the beginning of a session, you shouldn’t have to do it again until you close and reopen the browser.

Also, and I’m just asking this so as to leave no possibility I can think of unconsidered, what screen-reader are you using?  I don’t recall if you said.  Are you using any attachments either in Chrome or in the screen-reader that might be causing a problem?  You are evidently working visually to an extent.  Are you using a magnification program?

Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2021 10:27 AM