Sent: Monday, July 05, 2021 9:27 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] how to restore the .zip in .zip files

Hi all,

Somehow, when it was late and I was tired, I somehow managed to change some setting on my computer so that when I download books from BARD, the list doesn’t show if the file is a .zip file. It makes figuring out which books are already extracted very confusing. Can anyone tell me the keystrokes to use in Windows 10 with JAWS to return these files to the way they were showing up?

Thanks much,

TerriLynne

Terrilynne Pomeroy

No, no file extensions are showing.

TerriLynne

Are you showing the file extensions for other files?  For example, are you showing the, .txt, .exe, or .docx file extensions for other files or executables?

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Monday, July 05, 2021 9:27 PM

Hi all,

Somehow, when it was late and I was tired, I somehow managed to change some setting on my computer so that when I download books from BARD, the list doesn’t show if the file is a .zip file. It makes figuring out which books are already extracted very confusing. Can anyone tell me the keystrokes to use in Windows 10 with JAWS to return these files to the way they were showing up?

Thanks much,

TerriLynne

john s

Terrilynne, you need to unhide your file extensions.  I think it is under the personalize settings under folder options.  There are other ways to get to that setting.  When you find the option, I think y to get to that setting.  When you find the option, you check or unchedk it, I forget which.

At 11:43 AM 7/6/2021, Terrilynne Pomeroy, wrote:

No, no file extensions are showing.

TerriLynne

Are you showing the file extensions for other files?  For example, are you showing the, .txt, .exe, or .docx file extensions for other files or executables?

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Somehow, when it was late and I was tired, I somehow managed to change some setting on my computer so that when I download books from BARD, the list doesnt show if the file is a .zip file. It makes figuring out which books are already extracted very confusing. Can anyone tell me the keystrokes to use in Windows 10 with JAWS to return these files to the way they were showing up?

Thanks much,

TerriLynne

                 John

Gene

I don't have Windows 10.  this article explains a number of ways  to do this, but I reproduce a way that doesn't involve things like working with the registry.  You may not find these instructions helpful, since they don't use keyboard commands, but if you know how to apply general descriptions to using the keyboard, you may be able to do this, depending on how good you are at applying visual instructions.

If you wait, others will likely send instructions that describe using the keyboard.  But if you don't want to wait, you may try these.

Show File Extensions in Windows 10
There are five ways how you can go about accessing this setting:
1. Through the File Explorer Options
2. Through Windows Explorer Ribbon
3. Using the Registry
4. Using Command Prompt
5. Using Group Policy Editor.
1] Through Folder or File Explorer Options
To Show File Extensions in Windows 10 via File Explorer Options, follow these steps:
1. Open Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.
2. Now, click on Folder Options or File Explorer Option, as it is now called
3. Select the View tab.
4. In this tab, under Advanced Settings, you will see the option Hide extensions for known file types.
5. Uncheck this option
6. Click on Apply and OK.

Gene.

At 11:43 AM 7/6/2021, Terrilynne Pomeroy, wrote:

No, no file extensions are showing.

TerriLynne

Are you showing the file extensions for other files?  For example, are you showing the, .txt, .exe, or .docx file extensions for other files or executables?

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Somehow, when it was late and I was tired, I somehow managed to change some setting on my computer so that when I download books from BARD, the list doesn’t show if the file is a .zip file. It makes figuring out which books are already extracted very confusing. Can anyone tell me the keystrokes to use in Windows 10 with JAWS to return these files to the way they were showing up?

Thanks much,

TerriLynne

                 John

Mike B.

Hi Terrilynne,

Here you go, 2 ways to hide or unhide file extensions:

From: Mike B.
1. Open File Explorer, here are 2 ways you can access File Explorer.
A. From your desktop press enter on the, ThisPC, icon if you have it showing.
B. Press, Windows key + E from anywhere on the computer.

2. Press, Alt + F, then press the letter, O, to open Folder Options, now Control + tab to the, View page / tab.

3. Tab once or twice to, Advanced Settings Tree View, press the letter, H , to take you to, Hidden files and folders, if closed right arrow to open.

4. Down arrow to, Hide extensions for known file types, it'll be reported as either, On or Off.  Use the spacebar to toggle this to your choice.

5. If you make any changes tab to, Apply, press the spacebar, then tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.
Mike

File Extensions, How To Show Or Hide Using the Ribbon Keystrokes
From: Ann Byrne
 Alt + v, then,H, then, F
The above keystroke sequence is a toggle, so it'll hide or unhide file extensions.

Ann

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2021 8:43 AM

Sent: Monday, July 05, 2021 9:27 PM

Hi all,

Somehow, when it was late and I was tired, I somehow managed to change some setting on my computer so that when I download books from BARD, the list doesn’t show if the file is a .zip file. It makes figuring out which books are already extracted very confusing. Can anyone tell me the keystrokes to use in Windows 10 with JAWS to return these files to the way they were showing up?

Thanks much,

TerriLynne

Kimsan

Thanks for that bro.

I’ve been meaning to do this after I had to reconfigure everything on my system.

Here you go, 2 ways to hide or unhide file extensions:

From: Ann Byrne
 Alt + v, then,H, then, F

Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2021 8:43 AM

Sent: Monday, July 05, 2021 9:27 PM

Hi all,

Somehow, when it was late and I was tired, I somehow managed to change some setting on my computer so that when I download books from BARD, the list doesn’t show if the file is a .zip file. It makes figuring out which books are already extracted very confusing. Can anyone tell me the keystrokes to use in Windows 10 with JAWS to return these files to the way they were showing up?

Thanks much,

TerriLynne

Terrilynne Pomeroy

Hi Mike,

Worked like a charm. Thanks so much. I knew you would have simple instructions which I could follow.

From: Ann Byrne
 Alt + v, then,H, then, F

Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2021 8:43 AM