Input problem on Lenovo desktop

Marie Nelson

Okay this is a strange issue for me. My desktop will not accept input from any source I have been able to try. I have tried both wired and wireless keyboards and even the touch screen on the monitor. I have speech, because when waking from sleep, I hear the sign in info. And here is one of the strange issues. When the desktop is in sleep mode, I can press a key on the keyboard and it will wake the system and allow me to type in my password. Then no matter what key is pressed, there is no response? I have tried every USB port on the machine with the same result. I can use Seeing AI on the iPhone to see that the desktop is displayed on the monitor. Therefore, either the keyboard or the speakers are just not functioning once signed in. I am so stumped I don’t know where to start. I don’t have a BT keyboard paired to the system so I can’t try that approach either.
Does anyone have any ideas for me?
Marie

I'm a multitasker. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time!

Blaster

Here's a few things to try,

1. After coming out of sleep mode and putting your password in, try
starting Microsoft Narrator by holding down the Windows key and the
CTRL keys and then tapping the Enter key.

2. After waking up the PC from sleep mode by touching a key, Try
tapping the TAB key to reach the Power button option and then try to
shutdown the PC. After manually restarting the PC does it come back
to the desktop normally?

HTH,
Blaster

On 7/11/21, Marie Nelson <scribbles.mn@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

As I stated, after putting in my password, the system will accept nothing from my keyboard. I will try to tab to the power button before entering the password and see if that will work. I have tried powering it off with the power button, waiting and re-starting but so far, no help.

[...]

Okay, so I restarted the computer and invoked Narrator prior to entering the password, tabbed to submit and so far so good. But once I click on the submit, all goes silent once again. Perhaps there is a sound issue rather than an input issue. There is no card, just on board sound. I will try to use my Logitech H800 since it acts as a separate sound card. Fingers crossed.
What would cause the sound to work before signing in and not after?

[...]

Dave Mitchel

it does sound like a sound issue, but also make sure your mouse is working.

used to be nothing happened without a mouse.

just a thought.

-----Original Message----- From: Marie Nelson via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2021 8:07 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

-----Original Message----- From: Blaster
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:59 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

Oh thanks and if I had a mouse connected to this system, I would surely try that suggestion. And yes that used to be the solution to many, many problems and we were lost without that silly little device.
Actually with the Logitech headset, I was able to find that the system was stuck in a Win10 update, managed to finish that and now for the time being, I am back in business. It is one of those times when the laptop is my best friend.
Marie

Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:59 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

Thanks for letting us know what was going on, Great news indeed.

Good luck,

Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:59 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

glad all is well now.

have a great day!

-----Original Message----- From: Dave Mitchel

Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:59 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

Yes, it is a relief and a good feeling to get this sort of thing mastered. Thanks for the help.
Marie

Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:59 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

Curtis Delzer

I'd try another audio device on a USB connection to see if your audio is getting re-routed after your configuration is loaded after sign-on.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA