Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 4:32 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Thunderbird Issue

    Hi Group:

I thought I would post this here to see if different opinions come in.
On Wednesday, I changed my gmail password because it hasn't been done in
8 years and thought it was time.  After I changed it, I was able to
receive mail but then I couldn't send it.  I put in the password but it
kept rejecting it so I went in to account settings and something got
screwed up when I did that because now I can send mail but I can't
receive it.  I can get it on my phone and go to the website but it's not
downloading into my inbox in Thunderbird.  What happens when I open
Thunderbird, it does nothing and then a few minutes later, it says the
pop3 server has timed out.  I'm in the view window where I could go to
the different boxes.  Jaws doesn't speak while I'm in account settings
so I don't know if I hit something accidentally or not.  If someone can
offer any assistance on how to get my mail coming back into Thunderbird,
I would greatly appreciate it.  Simple instructions please!  Thanks in
advance.

Shelly

Ron Canazzi

Hi Shelly,

Can you access your account settings at all? If not, did you try turning off the virtual PC cursor in JAWS with insert + Z and then trying to navigate with up/down arrow keys in the tree view and/or tab and shift tab with the tab keys?  do you have the proper port settings for your account?
For incoming mail the port setting is 995 and for outgoing the port setting is 465.

for security the connection security is SSL/TLS     and authentication method is normal password.

If you cannot access these settings with JAWS you will need sighted help to set these ports and security settings correctly.

--
Signature:

Curtis Delzer

Check the receiving mail or pop server port number, which can get screwed up by just accidentally pressing an arrow key which would cause that time-out message since it's listening on the wrong port number.

On 8/10/2021 2:32 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
[...]
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

Shelly Kane

Thank you all for your help. Gene, I should never had changed my
password with gmail.com if I knew it would screw up my email the way
it has. I have been having trouble with my account on Facebook and I
have been locked out three times in 3 weeks where I had to change my
password there. I'm getting fed up because I have no idea why they
keep locking me out. Facebook keeps telling me that they are seeing
suspicious activity and that's why I'm being locked out. Ron, I have
no speech when I go into account settings. After I turn off the
virtual cursor, how do I get it back on or does it automatically go
back on when I exit out of account settings? I will try again and
check the port number and insert the right on if it has been turned
off. Thanks for trying to help.
Shelly

On 8/10/21, Curtis Delzer <curtis@calweb.com> wrote:
[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Shelly,

The, Insert + Z, keystroke is a toggle, so this keystroke turns the virtual cursor both off and on.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Thunderbird Issue

On 8/10/21, Curtis Delzer <curtis@...> wrote:
> Check the receiving mail or pop server port number, which can get
> screwed up by just accidentally pressing an arrow key which would cause
> that time-out message since it's listening on the wrong port number.
>
> On 8/10/2021 2:32 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
>>  Hi Group:
>>

>> I thought I would post this here to see if different opinions come in.
>> On Wednesday, I changed my gmail password because it hasn't been done in
>> 8 years and thought it was time. After I changed it, I was able to
>> receive mail but then I couldn't send it. I put in the password but it
>> kept rejecting it so I went in to account settings and something got
>> screwed up when I did that because now I can send mail but I can't
>> receive it. I can get it on my phone and go to the website but it's not
>> downloading into my inbox in Thunderbird. What happens when I open
>> Thunderbird, it does nothing and then a few minutes later, it says the
>> pop3 server has timed out. I'm in the view window where I could go to
>> the different boxes. Jaws doesn't speak while I'm in account settings
>> so I don't know if I hit something accidentally or not. If someone can
>> offer any assistance on how to get my mail coming back into Thunderbird,
>> I would greatly appreciate it. Simple instructions please! Thanks in
>> advance.
>>
>> Shelly
>>

> --
> Curtis Delzer
> HS
> K 6 V F O
> Rialto, CA
>
> curtis@...

Ron Canazzi

Hi Shelly,

To turn off and on virtual cursor is a toggle. This means that if you press insert + Z when the virtual cursor is on,  it turns it off and if you press it again, it turns it back on.

On 8/10/2021 5:23 PM, Shelly Kane wrote:
[...]

The Thunderbird issue has finally been solved.  Curtis, thank you for letting me know that the port number could be off just by hitting the arrow keys.  That's exactly what it was.  I decided to get an iMap account set up and I needed sighted help for that.  We had no problem setting it up on Google but when we got to Thunderbird, it took some time.  We finally got it and everything seems to be working for the moment.  Hopefully this won't happen again.  Thanks for trying to assist me.  I am very glad this group is here.  I do have one more question, with iMap, the messages are on my phone and computer.  If I delete the messages on my phone, will that delete them on the computer?  Thanks again.

Shelly

On 8/10/2021 3:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I’m not sure how to solve your problem.  I can tell you how to avoid unnecessary problems of this sort in the first place.

Don’t make trouble and inconvenience for yourself for no reason.  there may be sites where changing a password over time may be advisable but I don’t know that.  If your password is adequate, that is strong as that is defined, and nothing has happened on a site, I don’t see why it should be changed.  As far as I know, Just having a password for a period of time doesn’t make it more dangerous.  Others may wish to comment.

In the case of GMail, you don’t need to worry unless your  password isn’t strong.  I doubt Google would have let you use one that isn’t strong.  I believe I was asked to change a very old password by Google years ago because it wasn’t strong.  I had set up my GMail account perhaps in the early 2000’s.  I would think Google wouldn’t have let you use a password that isn’t strong eight years ago.

Google informs you if someone has signed into your account using an unknown device and you can tell Google if it is you.  this notice is routinely sent out whenever this happens.  Google also sends out a notice even if someone tries to log into your account with an unknown device and fails.  There is no reason to change the password just because time passes and if someone unsuccessfully tries to log in and fails, though your password is likely not known, you may wish to change it to be safer.

Even when I sign into Gmail from an unknown location or using a device I haven’t signed in with before, Google notifies me and asks if it is me.

I hope you solve your problems soon.

Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 4:32 AM

[...]

Ron:

Yes, after I read your email, I tried accessing the account settings again and I pressed Insert Z and everything worked fine. I do have one question, since I'm now using an iMap account, whenever I delete my messages from Thunderbird, I'm not getting that dialogue box about compacting folders.  Is that OK?

Shelly

On 8/10/2021 9:25 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Gene

Yes.  When you make a change using one device, that change is shown on all devices.  That is one of the main reasons people use IMAP, that you can look at and delete or move or whatever you want, messages and on another device, such as a computer, you will see exactly the same thing, reflecting anything you did on  the other device.  If you look at your messages and delete the ones you have read during the day using your phone, then in the evening, you look at messages using your computer, you won’t see the messages you have already read on  your phone.

Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 4:32 AM

[...]

The compacting feaqture is not necessary. I have mine turned off under general settings. You don't need that unless Thunderbird detects you are running out of disk space. Actually, I have seen it even with large disk  capacity hard drives, so I am not really sure what triggers it.

On 8/12/2021 3:02 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
[...]

This is a discussion in a thunderbird forum.  I am not saying the information is correct, or what part of it is.  But it does give grounds to think that compacting is a good idea with a IMAP account for reasons that have nothing to do with saving ddisk space on your machine.

The forum doesn’t discuss how often compacting with an IMAP account may be advisable.

Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 6:42 AM

--
Signature:
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

Gene

I forgot to include the link:

Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 6:42 AM

--
Signature:
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

Shelly Kane

Thank you all for your help while I was dealing with this email issue.  Everything is working perfectly.  Although, I didn't know that when you changed to iMap, when you delete something on your phone, it's gone on the computer.  I'm glad for that feature but I deleted a lot of stuff and now I have to move it back to my in box because I was keeping those things.  I really like how this works and I'm very grateful that you all suggested this.  Thanks again and regarding the compacting folders, I'm glad it doesn't do that anymore.  I used to have to hit cancel every time it came up.

Shelly