Questions Concerning Outlook

Veronica Kirk

Hello Everyone,

I am using outlook 2013 on my windows 7 computer.  Whenever I delete the items in the Draft folder, and I check the folder later, those same e-mails have returned.  Is there any way to permanently delete the e-mails in the Draft folder?

Another issue I have is that when I use Control-3 to read my contact list, only about eight contacts are listed, and these are contacts I don’t use that often.  However, when I am sending an e-mail message and use Control-N, contacts appear depending on which letter the contact started with.  When using this method, there are quite a few contacts that I would like to delete, but I have not figured out a way to do so.

I have had these issues for quite a while, and as I am quickly running out of disk space, I am trying to delete as much as possible from my computer.  Thanks for any help.

Veronica

Gene

The amount of disk space used by contacts and e-mail is very small, especially in today’s large hard drives.  If you are running low on disk space and you want to keep most of what you have, I would very strongly recommend getting an external drive for additional content.  also, are you backing things up you don’t want to lose?  If not, sooner or later, you will lose what you haven’t backed up.

Regarding not seeing many contacts but seeing lots of addresses when you use autocomplete, if that is what you are doing, e-mail programs don’t necessarily keep autocomplete information in the same place as contacts, which may account for the discrepancy.  But contacts, autocomplete information and e-mails take up such little space that getting rid of them will accomplish almost nothing.

Also, are you using a pop3 or an IMAP account?

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 3:57 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Questions Concerning Outlook

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

Veronica, have you tried Shift Delete for Drafts?

As for your contacts, have you tried Control+Shift+B to get
to your address book and go through them? HTH.

[...]

To Carolyn and Gene,

Yes, I have used shift delete several times. In fact, I used that method
earlier, ate dinner, and just now checked the Draft folder; all the usual
e-mails are back in the folder.

I have also used Control-Shift-B to get to the address book, and the same
addresses are there as when I use Control-3. I think I need to find out
where autocomplete addresses are stored.

I am using an IMAP account. Also with Outlook, received e-mail is found in
the Inbox and then another folder called Important, so one has two copies of
received e-mails which can add up quite fast.

Veronica

[...]

John Holcomb II

Is this a gmail account?
If so then no, its not two emails, its one j that marks as a label for
important but there's only one copy of the email on the server.
John

[...]

I don’t use Outlook and I don’t know how you delete autocomplete entries but as I said, even if you do, it will make so little difference in the amount of disk space you have that it is meaningless.

As I believe I said, with an IMAP account, messages aren’t stored on the hard drive if you use the e-mail program’s default settings.  Even if they were, you would be using so little disk space that deleting them would mean almost nothing, even if you had a lot of messages on the drive.  You’d have a little more space but so little more that it would fill up again very quickly if you saved much of anything else.

I don’t know why drafts keep returning.  When I delete them from my GMail account, using Thunderbird, they remain gone.

[...]

I know it is not two e-mails. I have never tried using the server with my
G-mail account. I just know that I have two copies of every e-mail I
receive in Outlook.

[...]

They aren’t two copies.  You are seeing the contents of the GMail server and you see the same message shown in two folders but there is really only one message.  And the message isn’t on your computer.  Only the headers are.  When you open the message to read it, that one message downloads to your computer.  When you close it and move to another message and open it, the last message you read disappears from your computer and the current one downloads.

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 7:13 PM

[...]

So why is it that when I delete e-mails from my Inbox, those same e-mails are still there in the Important folder?  I have had up to 3,000 e-mails in the Important folder before.

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 7:13 PM

[...]

I don’t know.  But whatever the case, as this forum discussion says, there is only one copy of the message no matter how many labels you have it appear in.

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 7:32 PM

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 7:13 PM

[...]

Yeah, I wonder what in the world that Important box is for
in Gmail?

[...]

I don't care what the server has, I just wonder why I am
imposed on by two duplicate emails?

[...]

In my Outlook, I got a friend's suffix incorrect, dot com instead of dot net. So, I keep getting these problem delivery messages from my server.

I deleted her address again from my Contacts, reentered it, but still got the messages. Finally, I went to Outlook Settings, emptied my entire Auto-Complete file - BIG MISTAKE! I am having a time getting it rebuilt. Plus, I still get the messages. What a nuisance!

[...]

I just get the two with Gmail, not with my
4carolyna@windstream.net.

[...]

If that happens again, try down arrowing to see if you can be on the correct address.  I don’t know just what you did when the wrong domain was in the autocomplete list but if the program wants to be on one of the addresses, you should be able to up or down arrow to the correct one.

Gedne

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I don't know. I just ignore it, actually. Pam.

[...]

https://www.avg.com

Thomas N. Chan

important is just a flag for people to send you an email to get your attention or need your attention which is mark, important.
Gmail email can be in important and also in all mails as its just label and not folder if you compared with imap.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 at 22:19, Pamela Dominguez <pammygirl99@...> wrote:
[...]

Sharon S

Hi, do they go from the important folder when you delete them from trash? I have a couple of Gmail addresses here but I don’t get many messages through them so haven’t noticed any of what you are.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 7:13 PM

[...]

As I said in my original reply to the question, I don’t know why that is.  What I didn’t say is that perhaps you can either delete the important folder or change GMail settings so that messages aren’t shown there at all.

That’s a good question about what happens when you delete messages from trash.  the broader question is, since there is only one copy of any message in GMail, no matter how many folders you see it in, if you delete it from one folder, is it supposed to be deleted from all or be moved to trash?

Hi, do they go from the important folder when you delete them from trash? I have a couple of Gmail addresses here but I don’t get many messages through them so haven’t noticed any of what you are.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 7:13 PM

[...]

No they do not.  Those are permanently deleted.  I am now deleting those e-mails from the important folder as they go back to 2017.

Hi, do they go from the important folder when you delete them from trash? I have a couple of Gmail addresses here but I don’t get many messages through them so haven’t noticed any of what you are.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 7:13 PM