raising/lowering computer volume

Madison Martin

Hi all,
Can someone please remind me how to raise/lower the volume on my computer? I
can't remember how to do it. Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10.
Thanks
Madison

Allen West

Hi Madison,

You can press insert F11 or Windows B to access the system tray and
Arrow to Speaker and press Enter. Down arrow to Volume control and
press Enter. Use the up and down arrow keys to raise and lower the
volume in small increments. For larger increments use the page up and
page down.
You can also create a shortcut to the Volume control on your desktop.
To do this:
1. Go to the Desktop and press Control Spacebar to unselect the icons.
2. Pres the Applications key or Shift F10 to open the Context menu.
3. Press W to move to and open the New submenu.
4. Down arrow once to Shortcut and press Enter.
5. Type this text without the quotes: "sndvol.exe".
6. Tab once to Next and press Enter.
7. Type the name of your shortcut, such as: Volume Control and press Enter.

Now the volume control is on your desktop. Press enter on this
shortcut and use the arrow keys or the page up and page down keys to
control the volume.

Allen

On 9/10/21, Madison Martin <madisonmartin463@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
Can someone please remind me how to raise/lower the volume on my computer?
can't remember how to do it. Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10.
Thanks
Madison

Gene

Insert f11 isn’t a universal command.  it is a screen-reader command.  JAWS has this command, NVDA doesn’t unless you use an add-on.  Windows key b is a universal command.
the run dialog method opens the volume control dialog, the same dialog as the system tray method opens.  Depending on how you get to the speaker icon in the system tray, it may use fewer steps to use the run dialog.

On 9/10/21, Madison Martin <madisonmartin463@...> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please remind me how to raise/lower the volume on my computer?
> can't remember how to do it. Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10.
> Thanks
> Madison

Allen West

I only gave her Insert F11 because she is running JAWS. I am very well aware that it is a JAWS command. Under most circumstances I don’t promote it.

Allen

Insert f11 isn’t a universal command.  it is a screen-reader command.  JAWS has this command, NVDA doesn’t unless you use an add-on.  Windows key b is a universal command.

the run dialog method opens the volume control dialog, the same dialog as the system tray method opens.  Depending on how you get to the speaker icon in the system tray, it may use fewer steps to use the run dialog.

You can press insert F11 or Windows B to access the system tray and
Arrow to Speaker and press Enter. Down arrow to Volume control and
press Enter. Use the up and down arrow keys to raise and lower the
volume in small increments. For larger increments use the page up and
page down.
You can also create a shortcut to the Volume control on your desktop.
To do this:
1. Go to the Desktop and press Control Spacebar to unselect the icons.
2. Pres the Applications key or Shift F10 to open the Context menu.
3. Press W to move to and open the New submenu.
4. Down arrow once to Shortcut and press Enter.
5. Type this text without the quotes: "sndvol.exe".
6. Tab once to Next and press Enter.
7. Type the name of your shortcut, such as: Volume Control and press Enter.

Now the volume control is on your desktop. Press enter on this
shortcut and use the  arrow keys or the page up and page down keys to
control the volume.

Allen

On 9/10/21, Madison Martin <madisonmartin463@...> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please remind me how to raise/lower the volume on my computer?
> can't remember how to do it. Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10.
> Thanks
> Madison

Gene

But since we don’t know how many people read messages and what they are using, JAWS commands should be specified as JAWS commands.

I only gave her Insert F11 because she is running JAWS. I am very well aware that it is a JAWS command. Under most circumstances I don’t promote it.

Allen

Insert f11 isn’t a universal command.  it is a screen-reader command.  JAWS has this command, NVDA doesn’t unless you use an add-on.  Windows key b is a universal command.

the run dialog method opens the volume control dialog, the same dialog as the system tray method opens.  Depending on how you get to the speaker icon in the system tray, it may use fewer steps to use the run dialog.

You can press insert F11 or Windows B to access the system tray and
Arrow to Speaker and press Enter. Down arrow to Volume control and
press Enter. Use the up and down arrow keys to raise and lower the
volume in small increments. For larger increments use the page up and
page down.
You can also create a shortcut to the Volume control on your desktop.
To do this:
1. Go to the Desktop and press Control Spacebar to unselect the icons.
2. Pres the Applications key or Shift F10 to open the Context menu.
3. Press W to move to and open the New submenu.
4. Down arrow once to Shortcut and press Enter.
5. Type this text without the quotes: "sndvol.exe".
6. Tab once to Next and press Enter.
7. Type the name of your shortcut, such as: Volume Control and press Enter.

Now the volume control is on your desktop. Press enter on this
shortcut and use the  arrow keys or the page up and page down keys to
control the volume.

Allen

On 9/10/21, Madison Martin <madisonmartin463@...> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please remind me how to raise/lower the volume on my computer?
> can't remember how to do it. Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10.
> Thanks
> Madison

Gene

I’ll add that I knew about the shortcut method but I hadn’t created one for years.  Being reminded of it led me to create one for the volume control and to create a shortcut command which makes opening the volume control dialog very convenient.  My computer doesn’t have dedicated keyboard keys for changing volume so being able to open the volume control dialog so easily is a real convenience.

But since we don’t know how many people read messages and what they are using, JAWS commands should be specified as JAWS commands.

I only gave her Insert F11 because she is running JAWS. I am very well aware that it is a JAWS command. Under most circumstances I don’t promote it.

Allen

Insert f11 isn’t a universal command.  it is a screen-reader command.  JAWS has this command, NVDA doesn’t unless you use an add-on.  Windows key b is a universal command.

the run dialog method opens the volume control dialog, the same dialog as the system tray method opens.  Depending on how you get to the speaker icon in the system tray, it may use fewer steps to use the run dialog.

You can press insert F11 or Windows B to access the system tray and
Arrow to Speaker and press Enter. Down arrow to Volume control and
press Enter. Use the up and down arrow keys to raise and lower the
volume in small increments. For larger increments use the page up and
page down.
You can also create a shortcut to the Volume control on your desktop.
To do this:
1. Go to the Desktop and press Control Spacebar to unselect the icons.
2. Pres the Applications key or Shift F10 to open the Context menu.
3. Press W to move to and open the New submenu.
4. Down arrow once to Shortcut and press Enter.
5. Type this text without the quotes: "sndvol.exe".
6. Tab once to Next and press Enter.
7. Type the name of your shortcut, such as: Volume Control and press Enter.

Now the volume control is on your desktop. Press enter on this
shortcut and use the  arrow keys or the page up and page down keys to
control the volume.

Allen

On 9/10/21, Madison Martin <madisonmartin463@...> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please remind me how to raise/lower the volume on my computer?
> can't remember how to do it. Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10.
> Thanks
> Madison

Carolyn Arnold

Plus, Allen, you gave an alternate command of Windows B to get to Systems Tray. I need this access, so I paid very close attention to your post./