Defragging Data Drives

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi there!
I defrag all my drives, I have it set up to defrag on a weekly basis.  I suspect though that unless you are placing and removing a large amount of data onto this drive that it isn't all that crucial.  I might be wrong, and if so someone will correct me.  I do believe however, that if you are using a solid state drive, that takes some other defrag utility.  Hope this helps! Good Luck & Have A Good Day! de
<KF8LT><Jim>.

On 10-Apr-16 17:27, Mike B. wrote:

Hi All,

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Hi Mike, can you explain what you mean by data drives. If you mean externals, I have read that you don’t need to defrag them that often.

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.

Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Matt

Hi, I do defrag my data drive but not that often maybe once every year . But It might need to be done more often if you are deleting things from it very often and you are changing things on it fairly often. It don’t hurt to defrag it . It is no different than defragging any other drive. Now if it is a SSD that is different. So if it is not a SSD then I would say it would be ok to defrag once a week if it needed it.

On 10-Apr-16 17:27, Mike B. wrote:

Hi All,

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.

Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Carlos

Hi Mike,
Mechanical data drives yes.  Maybe once every few weeks.

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Carlos

Solid state drives should not be defragmented at all.  Trim is the equivalent of defragmentation for solid state drives and it is usually enabled by default when such a drive is detected.

On 10-Apr-16 17:27, Mike B. wrote:
Hi All,

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Sylvia,

External drives that I use to store music , books, notes, sound files, documents, etc...

Basically I store pretty much everything that isn't necessary to have on the operating system drive on external drives / partitions.  This way if I have an operating system crash I won't lose any saved crap, so to speak.  LOL,  hahaha hahaha hahaha,  LOL
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Hi Mike, can you explain what you mean by data drives. If you mean externals, I have read that you don’t need to defrag them that often.

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.

Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Carlos,

I usually defrag my data / storage drives every couple of months.  At this time I only have mechanical drives, but will be getting a system with a solid state drive pretty soon
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Mechanical data drives yes.  Maybe once every few weeks.
Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Carlos,

I'll be getting a system pretty soon that will be running a solid state drive for the operating system.  Would you please explain the, Trim, feature you mentioned, & how it works?  I'm trying to get as much info as I can on SSD maintenance so I don't screw anything up by accident or otherwise!  LOL  Thank you very much.

On 10-Apr-16 17:27, Mike B. wrote:
Hi All,

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Carlos

Hi Mike,
Every couple of months or so should be fine.  I often get lazy and don't do it myself for much longer periods of time.

Mechanical data drives yes.  Maybe once every few weeks.
Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Carlos

Hi Mike,
This article
explains trim in detail and saves me lots of typing.

On 10-Apr-16 17:27, Mike B. wrote:
Hi All,

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Carlos,

Where in a SSD would I look to make sure that the, Trim, feature is enabled, if it can be accessed at all?   Thank you very much for the Trim Computing article, very informative!

On 10-Apr-16 17:27, Mike B. wrote:
Hi All,

Is it good practice to defrag your data drives from time to time?  Thanks much.
Take care.
Mike
Remember folks, it's tax time!  If you add, IRS to the word, the, you get "T H E I R S".  That spells THEIRS!

Carlos

Haha another article.
Although as I said, it will almost always be automatically enabled when a solid state drive is detected.