What is The most durable way to mark the touch panel on a dish washer?

James Bentley

Hi all,

The maintenance department at my apartment complex is installing a new dish washer in my apartment early next week.  I did not get any say so concerning what kind of controls it comes with.  I have recently learned that it will have a touch panel.  Therefore, I will need to mark it.

Is there any glue on product that will with stand the heat, humidity, and daily cleaning of the front of the dish washer?  Or, is there some kind of an overlay product that I can hold up to the panel to assist me in selecting different functions.

For now, all I know is that it will either be a Whirlpool or a Kenmoore.

Thanks,

James B

gbmagoo@...

Tell them they need to give you a ADA compliant dishwasher for your disability and you will not pay rent until it happens

On Oct 21, 2021, at 09:26, James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...> wrote:

Hi all,

The maintenance department at my apartment complex is installing a new dish washer in my apartment early next week.  I did not get any say so concerning what kind of controls it comes with.  I have recently learned that it will have a touch panel.  Therefore, I will need to mark it.

Is there any glue on product that will with stand the heat, humidity, and daily cleaning of the front of the dish washer?  Or, is there some kind of an overlay product that I can hold up to the panel to assist me in selecting different functions.

For now, all I know is that it will either be a Whirlpool or a Kenmoore.

Thanks,

James B

Gerald Levy

Velcro strips work well for labeling touchpads.  You can cut the strips into various shapes and sizes, and the adhesive is pretty strong and will adhere well to most touchpads.

Gerald

On 10/21/2021 12:25 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Hi all,

The maintenance department at my apartment complex is installing a new dish washer in my apartment early next week.  I did not get any say so concerning what kind of controls it comes with.  I have recently learned that it will have a touch panel.  Therefore, I will need to mark it.

Is there any glue on product that will with stand the heat, humidity, and daily cleaning of the front of the dish washer?  Or, is there some kind of an overlay product that I can hold up to the panel to assist me in selecting different functions.

For now, all I know is that it will either be a Whirlpool or a Kenmoore.

Thanks,

James B

Monte Single

Hi,

I have an over-the -stove microwave.

I had my sister mark 15 of the   touch-panel items with those small dots.  I don’t know what brand.  They are about the size and shape of a split pea.  You just peel them of the sheet and stick them on.

In 8 years, 2 have fallen off and that  has been in the last month or so.

Guess what 2 fell off?

You got it, 1 and 2.

I  these 15 dots probably cost about a buck.

I got them from the braille superstore here in Canada.  I think they are  similar to the ones sold by maxiaids.

They come in a little sheet of 40 and cost a few dollars.

[...]

E.M. Kirtley

First contact the company you pay your electric or gas bill to, and find out if they have a service which will mark it, tactilly for you.

Next contact Whirlpool etc. to find if they still have tactile overlays for their appliances.

Ms. Kirtley

The maintenance department at my apartment complex is installing a new dish washer in my apartment early next week.  I did not get any say so concerning what kind of controls it comes with.  I have recently learned that it will have a touch panel.  Therefore, I will need to mark it.

Is there any glue on product that will with stand the heat, humidity, and daily cleaning of the front of the dish washer?  Or, is there some kind of an overlay product that I can hold up to the panel to assist me in selecting different functions.

For now, all I know is that it will either be a Whirlpool or a Kenmoore.

Thanks,

James B

Gene

I wouldn’t make a stink by insisting on an ADA appliance or refusing to pay rent, as was suggested in a previous message without doing other things first.

First, is that a legally defensible position?  The ADA says that if an undue hardship exists it doesn’t have to be done.  The units have assumedly all been purchased.  Can one be returned without some sort of pronblem for the owner and what problem is that?  Second, is it reasonable or easy to adapt the product you will get?  Is it really worth a confrontation if it is?  And if you can’t determine that in advance, would you be in a significantly worse position if the dishwasher were installed and you tried and found it isn’t reasonable to put markers on it?  Would it be harder to get it replaced?

I’m not assuming anything.  I simply don’t think the confrontational approach is necessarily the best way to  handle many situations.  There are times it may come to that but that isn’t necessarily the best first approach.

Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 12:05 PM

[...]

Gene, I strongly agree 100% with all that you just said.  I have lived here for more than two decades and I have an excellent relationship with apartment management and apartment maintenance.  In fact, we are all friends.  They almost always take precautions to assist their blind tenants.

But, this time, They hired a third party contractor to replace the dish washer and he, for what ever reason, is not aware or, concerned with accessibility.

The expensive dish washer is already paid for and it does appear that we have a shortage of some appliances in our area because of the supply chain problems the US is currently experiencing.  so I will just mark it.  Other V I people seem to be able to mark appliances with no major problems.

I will look in to getting an overlay from the product manufacturer.  Or, look in to the Velcro’s strips that Gerald mentioned.  I suspect that I could make my own overlay with some sighted help.

I do stand up for my rights when it comes to ADA regs but this isn’t justified or worth  the hassle considering all of the circumstances.  I’ll just be happy to get a new dish washer especially since some of the shelves in our local hardware stores are some what bare.

Thanks to all who posted suggestions.

James B

Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 12:05 PM

[...]

chris judge

It depends on what type of touch panel it is. I have a bread maker that has a glass panel. There are no membrane keys, it’s extremely difficult to mark as just touching the glass triggers the buttons. Needless to say it’s been sitting in the box for the last four years. Luckily I got it with air miles so wasn’t out any money.

If it’s a membrane touch pad I would suggest velcroe as it sticks well and is easy to feel.

[...]

brian

    If that dish washer can't be marked then I would ask your managment if you can buy your own dish washer if they are not willing to provide you one.  The worst case would be to wash your dishes at the sink by hand.  My apartment complex does not provide dish washers.  You certainly stand up for your rites to have an accessable dish washer.  If you have to then go over their heads.

 We don't have accessable laundry machines they are card machines so good luck

Brian Sackrider

On 10/21/2021 3:45 PM, chris judge wrote:

[...]

Yes, good luck.  How can the landlord provide accessible dishwashers and washing machines if nobody makes them any longer?  Almost all residential and commercial dishwashers and washing machines have touchpads these days and few, if any have mechanical controls. Of course, if the washing machines are in a common laundry room, you cannot lable their touchpads with tactile markers because they are the property of the landlord.

Gerald

On 10/21/2021 3:51 PM, brian wrote:

[...]

Can you tell me what kind to buy.  And where?

Cheers,

James B

[...]

I have a boshe. It has buttons along the front that are actual buttons. My advice would be go out and check out a few to find one you like.

[...]

I like to choose my own battles.

Around here, I have been treated like a King so, why rock the boat.  Especially since V I persons work out marking appliances all of the time.

I only ask on list because I have almost no experience in marking some thing like a dish washer that is warm and often damp.

I am hoping that some one can refer me to the right type of velcrose dots.  And, where to buy them.

James B

[...]

I’m not looking to pay $500, for a dish washer.  I just want to know what kind of velcrose dots to buy and where.

Cheers,

James B

[...]

Any fabric store should sell Velcro. You can cut it to the size you need, peel the backing off and stick it on.

[...]

I did find velcros strips from Maxi Aids that are advertised to be good for marking items.   I’ll probably go with those.

James B

[...]

John Holcomb II

I’ve actually used laminated paper and wrote them out on a brailer, then had someone cut them to size.

John

Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 12:05 PM

[...]

They will work fine. What I like about Velcro is that once you got it stuck on you practically need a jack hammer to get it off, so a bit of dampness and humidity won’t hurt it.

[...]

And, that’s exactly what I am looking for.

James B

[...]

Marda

They are called bump dots and you can get them in different sizes and quantities.

Marda