alternative scanning programs

Joe Giovanelli

Good morning,

I have a book which I need to scan. Docuscan is inadequate for this book, perhaps because of small print.

I once had Abbyy Finereader, but its license expired.

Would a versionof Openbook (befofre it was included in JAWS) have adjustments for smaller print?

Do you have a CD of it which you no longer need?

What other possibilities are there?

I thank you very, very much for your help.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY

Gene

You can use 300dpi but I don't know if or to what extent that would help.  You can download the program from the FS site.  It runs as a demo.  I believe that it times out after a certain number of days as well as having the forty minute restriction.

As far as Docuscan is concerned, can you change contrast settings?  If so, what settings are you using now?

Gene

On 2/6/2022 10:15 AM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:

Good morning,

I have a book which I need to scan. Docuscan is inadequate for this book, perhaps because of small print.

I once had Abbyy Finereader, but its license expired.

Would a versionof Openbook (befofre it was included in JAWS) have adjustments for smaller print?

Do you have a CD of it which you no longer need?

What other possibilities are there?

I thank you very, very much for your help.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY

Gene

Here is the web page with download information and links:

https://support.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/OpenBook

Gene

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

There is no contrast adjustment in Docuscan.

I am unfamiliar nwith the program you mentioned. If there's a 40 minute timeout, that can make scanning more difficult.

Joe G.

On 2/6/2022 12:00 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

I was discussing Openbook, the program you asked about.  If you decide to try it, I'll recommend settings you can try.

Gene

On 2/6/2022 12:00 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Gene, I will appreciate your recommended settings.

What I want to do is scan a page and read it to see if there are any errors. If not, I want to scan the book.

Joe

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

gbmagoo@...

Freedom Scientific‘s open book needs to have a pearl camera with it to be able to scan by taking pictures of each page and open the book requires the camera to operate so if you don’t have the pearl camera the open book for me read pre-done PDFs

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Let me know when you have the program and are ready to try it.  I'll send instructions about how to change the scanning settings that may well increase accuracy.

I may send them before but if not I will when you let me know.

If the accuracy isn't suitable, we can experiment with other settings.

Gene

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

That isn't correct.  It can use the Pearl camera but it started out long before the camera was developed and was originally designed to work with a scanner.  It still does and I suspect the majority of people who use it still use a scanner.

Gene

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Hi, Gene,

I can only go so far into Work Flow settings. From the things I have read, there is at least one setting for accuracy.

I tried using whatever setting comes up and the text was almost unrecognizable.

I'd hope to see things like print size and contrast. I've never been sure about messing with default contrast settings.

I saw Settings, and was able to set the speech parameters. I may have missed them, but that was about all I noticed.

I wish the program had startup instructions which would tell me how to go deeper into various parts, like work flow.

Do not wait for me. Just send some recommendations and how to find the places to enter them. That way we won't be holding each other up.

It is unlikely that I'll be doing mujch more tonight.

Thanks for your interest in working with me.

I need to know where to find the save or don't save box.

Joe G.

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Monte Single

Not true,

I have used openbook off and on since the nineties when it came out as The Arkenstone Reader.

After a few years it was renamed Openbook when f s acquired itfrom Benetech.

Then, sometime   , maybe 10 or 12 years ago, f s introduced the pearl camera.

I have used Epson, hp and canon scanners with openbook.

Cheers,

Mont

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

To save your work, you can use save as, which you get to in the usual way.  I don't do much scanning these days and to give more detailed information, I would have to scan and save something.  My recollection is that if you are scanning something and you want to stop and scan more later, closing the program and opening it later, save files in the default format.  Then when you scan more, open the file.  Pages will automatically be appended if you use the default format.  I believe you manually have to save the document, as you would in a word processor to keep the appended pages when you close the file or the program and that file is opened.

As far as image and recognition settings are concerned, I believe automatic contrast is the default.  Check to be sure.  That is the contrast setting I recommend for most scanning.

Open the work flow dialog with alt g, then o.

Tab to a button that says something like work flow, modify.  Press the space bar.  Tab through the settings and you will find a resolution setting.  300 is the default.  Don't change it now.  Most of the time, changing it produces worse results and there are many other reasons than the resolution not being fine enough for small print that cause recognition inaccuracy.  This setting may need to be changed but most of the time, it doesn't.

Keep tabbing and you will get to the automatic contrast check box.  If it is checked, leave it as it is.  Check it with the space bar if it isn't.

Now use control tab to move to the other part of the multipage dialog.

I don't think you need to worry about any of these settings but you may want to experiment with recognize columns and split facing pages, or the field that is worded more or less like that.

You can get context sensitive help in a dialog field with the command shift f1.  Once you have finished listening to the message, use escape to close it and return to the dialog.

When you get to the OK button, activate it.

Now, open the settings menu again with alt g and work flow with o.  This is what you did before.

Tab around and you will get to recognition strategy.  I haven't used this version of Openbook nearly as much as some earlier versions and this setting is a recent one.  From the experimenting I've done, fastest appears to give the best results a lot or most of the time.  The recognition strategy is a combo box and you can see and experiment with the other settings if you are dissatisfied with the results for this specific material.  Fastest isn't the default so set it for fastest then tab to and activate the O.K. button.

You may try these settings without permanently saving them or you may permanently save them if you wish.  When you find settings or combinations of settings you want to save, save them by opening settings again, alt g, then  press enter to open save the settings. You are already on that option.  If you have questions about using save the settings, let me know.  If you save them as default, those are the settings the program will use when you run it.  If you have settings you want for a specific book or material and you want to leave the default settings as they are, give the settings a name and save them.  You can then retrieve them when you run the program.

Open settings with g, then down arrow once to retrieve settings and press enter.  Work with the dialog.  If you have problems or questions ask.

Gene

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

That is greate to know!

How do I use open book with a h p scanner, please

thanks

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

In Openbook, open Advanced settings with alt a.

Down arrow to device selection and press enter.  You may see only one option.  If the Pearl Camera isn't attached you will only see scanner.  There is no need or way to change the setting.  If you have a choice, move to scanner in the combo box, then tab to and activate the OK button.  If you want the setting to be permanent, save the settings as the default choice, as I described in an earlier message.

Gene

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

First, you have to have the scanner connected to  your  computer and have the scanner drivers installed.

On 2/6/2022 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Gene,

I would also like to have the settings for Open Book. So is it possible to post instructions to the list? If not, would you send direct to me?

Thanks,

Marie

--
I don't mean to interrupt people. I just randomly remember things and get really excited.