jaws scan cursor

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

hi,

Is there a way I can tell jaws that when a certain application is loaded, use the jaws scan cursor instead of the normal jaws cursor? I searched in hjglobals.jsh and hjconst.jsh and can't find anything relating to the jaws scan cursor nor can I find anything in the insert function dialog in the script manager.

Josh

Sent from outlook

Sent from outlook

Pamela Dominguez

Sorry, but what is the jaws scan cursor?  I’m new at this.  Pam.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Is there a way I can tell jaws that when a certain application is loaded, use the jaws scan cursor instead of the normal jaws cursor? I searched in hjglobals.jsh and hjconst.jsh and can't find anything relating to the jaws scan cursor nor can I find anything in the insert function dialog in the script manager.

Josh

Sent from outlook

Sent from outlook

Gene

You are evidently thinking of the Touch Cursor.  It may be possible to create a frame that would automatically turn it on when a specific program runs.  I haven't worked with frames for a long time, since before the touch cursor and I don't know if you can have a frame do that.  There may be another way to do what you want, but I don't know it.  But it is so simple to turn the touch cursor on that I don't see any meaningful advantage to setting up a frame.  Its only one command, shift numpad numpad minus, the same key that turns on the JAWS cursor to turn the touch cursor on.

Scan is a setting in Narrator, the equivalent of the Virtual PC cursor or browse mode, all names for the same thing used by different screen-readers.

Gene

On 4/21/2022 12:06 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

hi,

Is there a way I can tell jaws that when a certain application is loaded, use the jaws scan cursor instead of the normal jaws cursor? I searched in hjglobals.jsh and hjconst.jsh and can't find anything relating to the jaws scan cursor nor can I find anything in the insert function dialog in the script manager.

Josh

Sent from outlook

Sent from outlook

Marten Post Uiterweer

Hi Josh,

I don't believe that is possible.
Jaws will activate the Jaws scanCursor when it is a modern application
and the information cannot be red by the normal JawsCursor.

Kind regards, Marten

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:06:56 -0400 "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

hi,

Is there a way I can tell jaws that when a certain application is loaded,
use the jaws scan cursor instead of the normal jaws cursor? I searched in
hjglobals.jsh and hjconst.jsh and can't find anything relating to the jaws
scan cursor nor can I find anything in the insert function dialog in the
script manager.

Josh

Sent from outlook

Sent from outlook

Gene

But there are times when you might want to use the touch cursor in applications where you can use the pc cursor.  Just as at times, you might want to use the JAWS cursor in various applications.  Because of technical changes in Windows 10 and 11, the JAWS cursor can't be used in many contexts where it could before and you can use the Touch Cursor to look at parts of the screen you can't get to with the PC cursor.

Gene

On 4/21/2022 3:02 PM, Marten Post Uiterweer wrote:
Hi Josh,

I don't believe that is possible.
Jaws will activate the Jaws scanCursor when it is a modern application
and the information cannot be red by the normal JawsCursor.

Kind regards, Marten

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:06:56 -0400 "Josh Kennedy" <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

hi,

Is there a way I can tell jaws that when a certain application is loaded,
use the jaws scan cursor instead of the normal jaws cursor? I searched in
hjglobals.jsh and hjconst.jsh and can't find anything relating to the jaws
scan cursor nor can I find anything in the insert function dialog in the
script manager.

Josh

Sent from outlook

Sent from outlook

Marten Post Uiterweer

Hi Gene,

Corect, but the Jaws scanCursor is something else. It is the JawsCursor
[mouse\ but for modern apps.
Also activated with the num-minus.

Regards, marten

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:08:23 -0500 "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember hearing that announced when I was using JAWS with an app.  I seldom use JAWS and I didn't realize what it was.  I think I thought it had something to do with something the touch cursor does but evidently not.

Gene

On 4/21/2022 3:33 PM, Marten Post Uiterweer wrote:
[...]

For those who are curious, I found this article discussing the JAWS scan cursor.
https://blog.freedomscientific.com/learn-more-do-more-new-features-in-jaws-the-jaws-scan-cursor/
After reading it, I'm not sure if the scan cursor more or less duplicates the Touch cursor in many cases.  I don't use universal apps to any extent and I haven't used the Touch cursor or the scan cursor enough to compare them.  My guess is that you can use the Touch cursor to do the same things and probably more things but that the scan cursor does many things you might want to do in an already familiar interface.

Gene