Copying from the internet

Terrilynne Pomeroy

Hi all,

I have been trying to copy things from the web, but although JAWS says selected, the copy function does not work. I know that there is something I need to enable, but I can’t remember where or how. Any specific directions would be greatly appreciated.

TerriLynne

Madison Martin

Hi TerriLynne,

Here’s some instructions that I found saved on a USB stick while I was looking for something else:

Copying a web-page 

• Useful if you are having trouble getting to the content or if you want to copy and paste information
  • Open the page

Select the whole page CTRL + A

Copy – CTRL + C

Open a new Word Document

Paste CTRL + V

Hope this helps,

Madison

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Terrilynne Pomeroy
Sent: August 6, 2022 3:19 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Copying from the internet

Hi all,

I have been trying to copy things from the web, but although JAWS says selected, the copy function does not work. I know that there is something I need to enable, but I can’t remember where or how. Any specific directions would be greatly appreciated.

TerriLynne

Terrilynne Pomeroy

Hi Madison,

I appreciate your answer, but this doesn’t work for all pages.  According to Freedom Scientific, I had to go into some Chrome settings with one of the f keys and change some setting. My problem is that I have had four surgeries recently, and the anesthesia has messed with my memory. 😊

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Copying from the internet

Hi TerriLynne,

Here’s some instructions that I found saved on a USB stick while I was looking for something else:

Copying a web-page 

• Useful if you are having trouble getting to the content or if you want to copy and paste information
  • Open the page

Copy – CTRL + C

Open a new Word Document

Paste CTRL + V

Hope this helps,

Madison

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Terrilynne Pomeroy

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Gene

There is nothing to enable.  By default, if you select material, then use control c, it should be copied to the clipboard.  There is more than one way to copy material using JAWS   You don't say which method you are using.

One thing to try is to unload JAWS, then run it again.  At times, a screen-reader doeswn't work properly and it will stop functions like copy from working.  Unloading and running the screen-reader again may solve the problem.

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Gene

I have never heard of a setting in any browser that affects copying to the clipboard.  However, you can try changing a setting in JAWS that tells JAWS what to copy to the clipboard from.  Someone who uses JAWS and is familiar with the setting will, I hope, explain it.  I almost never use JAWS.  If it remains unexplained, I'll find the setting.  It is in quick settings.

Gene

On 8/6/2022 4:23 PM, Terrilynne Pomeroy wrote:

Hi Madison,

I appreciate your answer, but this doesn’t work for all pages.  According to Freedom Scientific, I had to go into some Chrome settings with one of the f keys and change some setting. My problem is that I have had four surgeries recently, and the anesthesia has messed with my memory. 😊

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 2:58 PM

Hi TerriLynne,

Copying a web-page 

• Open the page

Copy – CTRL + C

Open a new Word Document

Paste CTRL + V

Hope this helps,

Madison

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Terrilynne Pomeroy

I was unable to copy from certain sites. I called Freedom Scientific. They had me change a setting in the Chrome menu, and voila, I could copy. I trust Freedom Scientific. I just didn’t want to wait until Monday.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 3:59 PM

There is nothing to enable.  By default, if you select material, then use control c, it should be copied to the clipboard.  There is more than one way to copy material using JAWS   You don't say which method you are using.

One thing to try is to unload JAWS, then run it again.  At times, a screen-reader doeswn't work properly and it will stop functions like copy from working.  Unloading and running the screen-reader again may solve the problem.

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Victor

A lot depends on which browser you are using. Som some browsers have different settings that need to be changed. glad they were able to help you.

Victor

On Aug 6, 2022, at 3:25 PM, Terrilynne Pomeroy <tl717375@...> wrote:

I was unable to copy from certain sites. I called Freedom Scientific. They had me change a setting in the Chrome menu, and voila, I could copy. I trust Freedom Scientific. I just didn’t want to wait until Monday.

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Gene

If I understand what you are saying, you have had this problem before and you want to solve the problem which you are having again.

I don't know what setting may have been changed in Chrome. 

And is the problem the same now?  Can you copy material from some sites and not others?  If the problem is different, not being able to copy from any sites, then it may be a completely different problem.

For now, try the following but only after you have shut down JAWS, run it again, and seen if the problem persists:
When in Chrome, issue the command JAWS key v to open quick settings.
Down arrow to an item that says something like this:
copy full screen content using onscreen highlight.
The wording may not be exactly that, but there isn't any wording like it.  You won't miss it if it is there.  Its about four down arrows.
If you don't hear that wording, you will hear wording something like this:
copy from virtual pc cursor.
Whatever you hear, use the space bar to change it to the other choice.
Then press enter.
See if you can copy now.

I'll add that there has recently been a Chrome update.  I'm not sure when but I believe about two or three days ago.  I am now going to see if I have a problem copYing page contents in case the update is causing a problem.  If it is, I'll report in another message within five minutes.  If not I won't.

Gene

On 8/6/2022 5:25 PM, Terrilynne Pomeroy wrote:

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Victor

I also recommend trying to copy from other browsers you might use.

Victor

On Aug 6, 2022, at 3:44 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

If I understand what you are saying, you have had this problem before and you want to solve the problem which you are having again.

And is the problem the same now?  Can you copy material from some sites and not others?  If the problem is different, not being able to copy from any sites, then it may be a completely different problem.

For now, try the following but only after you have shut down JAWS, run it again, and seen if the problem persists:
The wording may not be exactly that, but there isn't any wording like it.  You won't miss it if it is there.  Its about four down arrows.
Then press enter.
See if you can copy now.

I'll add that there has recently been a Chrome update.  I'm not sure when but I believe about two or three days ago.  I am now going to see if I have a problem copYing page contents in case the update is causing a problem.  If it is, I'll report in another message within five minutes.  If not I won't.

Gene

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Terrilynne Pomeroy

It is the same problem. I just can’t remember how to fix it.

Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 4:44 PM

Then press enter.
See if you can copy now.

Gene

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Gene

You may not want to read all of this long discussion.  You may want to skip some messages. I read about twelve or fifteen messages and they indicate that this is likely a JAWS problem and one or two messages say the problem occurs only with Chrome. 

Something like three messages suggest making the change I suggest and one said that the change solves most copying problems using JAWS in Chrome but the user cites certain sites such as the Washington Post where text cannot be copied.

Given what I read and that there shouldn't be a setting in Chrome that has any effect on this problem, unless or until you find out there is, I would suggest trying to make the change I suggested, and getting Firefox if that doesn't solve the problem and you still can't copy text from some sites.

Or you could try a different screen-reader with Chrome when you have this problem.

Gene

On 8/6/2022 8:21 PM, Terrilynne Pomeroy wrote:

Then press enter.
See if you can copy now.

Gene

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Gene

I forgot to provide the link to this long discussion:
https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/cannot_copy_text_in_chrome/72099082

Gene

On 8/6/2022 8:35 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

You may not want to read all of this long discussion.  You may want to skip some messages. I read about twelve or fifteen messages and they indicate that this is likely a JAWS problem and one or two messages say the problem occurs only with Chrome. 

Something like three messages suggest making the change I suggest and one said that the change solves most copying problems using JAWS in Chrome but the user cites certain sites such as the Washington Post where text cannot be copied.

Given what I read and that there shouldn't be a setting in Chrome that has any effect on this problem, unless or until you find out there is, I would suggest trying to make the change I suggested, and getting Firefox if that doesn't solve the problem and you still can't copy text from some sites.

Or you could try a different screen-reader with Chrome when you have this problem.

Gene

Then press enter.
See if you can copy now.

Gene

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Terrilynne Pomeroy

Hi Gene,

Part of what you sent was:

Then press enter.

This did work. And I thank you.

TerriLynne

Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 7:36 PM

Gene

Gene

Then press enter.
See if you can copy now.

Gene

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne

Gene

That's good.

Gene

On 8/6/2022 8:54 PM, Terrilynne Pomeroy wrote:

Hi Gene,

Part of what you sent was:

Then press enter.

This did work. And I thank you.

TerriLynne

Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 7:36 PM

Gene

Gene

Then press enter.
See if you can copy now.

Gene

Gene

Hi all,

TerriLynne