From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2022 1:58 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] a dropbox question

Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:

Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Gene,

My computer runs slow at times and I'm just trying to rule things out as to what's causing it, and when I've called Microsoft accessibility in the past one of the things they did was to disable dropbox from running on boot-up. I don't know if that ever helped though because as soon as I realized dropbox wasn't running I went back and started it again.

I share one dropbox with several friends and we share books and other things, plus I share other dropboxes with just one friend at a time and I want to be sure that I don't miss anything especially in the big box I share.

Troy

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:

You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Also, I disabled dropbox yesterday and then this morning I found out that a friend had put something in the box I share with him, but when I opened dropbox from my desktop and looked in our shared box nothing was there. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough, and I didn't know to check my system tray to see if dropbox was there but that's why I was asking how to check it if it doesn't start on boot-up.

Troy

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:

You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

If the computer runs more slowly when you start Dropbox running, you will know that that is a reason.  If it doesn't run at boot up and you use the computer, don't change anything else, then run Dropbox and it is slower, that is a good indication.

However, if it is part of the problem, if you start it running, then you will have to stop it when you don't want it to run, which you can do from the system tray.

I don't know anything about your computer and I'm not saying not to try not having things run at boot up, at the same time, I'm skeptical about the importance people place on things running at boot up.  Today's computers have a lot of power and I doubt that some apps, running in the background where they don't do much of anything unless you cause them to do something slows down computers to a noticeable extent unless the computer is underpowered by today's standards or you have a very large number of processes running.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:
You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

Did you start it by pressing enter on the icon?  If you started it, did your computer run any more slowly afterwards?  If it doesn't slow down, then you might as well save yourself trouble and let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:
You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

I'll disable it again and test it for a day or 2, as soon as I opened dropbox this morning and what my friend had shared with me wasn't there I thought it was because I had dropbox disabled so I went back into the startup settings and enabled it again and rebooted.

I bought this laptop in either late 2018 or 2019, I think 2018, so it's not really that old. I discussed the slowdown problem with a friend who is a blind computer trainer the other day though and told him that Microsoft accessibility had disabled dropbox a few months ago and I was skeptical that was the problem, and he didn't give an opinion on whether he thought that dropbox could be the problem but he did say it could be.

I'm sure that there are things starting on boot-up that I don't need, but I'm not computer savvy enough to know what is needed and what isn't and I'm afraid to just start disabling things at random on my own. I've been too busy over the summer to call Microsoft accessibility again but I may do that again soon. The last time I called them they updated drivers and did some other stuff that I don't remember now, and they scanned for viruses and said I was clean.

Troy

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:
You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

John Holcomb II

What are the  specs on this laptop that is slow to you?

Has it just been slow lately or was it always that way.

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:

You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:

Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

You are making this much too complicated.  You don't have to enable and disable Dropbox.  Keep it disabled for a test if you wish.  You don't have to enable it.  All that does is cause it to run at boot up.  If you want it to run, after boot up, or an hour or two hours after boot up, or at any time, just ppress enter on the dropbox icon on the desktop.  You have started the program and it is running in the background, just as it does when it runs at boot up.

Use the computer with it off and on and compare.  I'm extremely skeptical you will notice any difference.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:
You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Thanks Gene, that's the info I wanted.

I don't know the specs of the machine but I doubt what's going on has anything to do with that, just in general it takes programs and even webpages longer to load than they used to, and it's worse when I first boot up in the morning and things really slow down when windows updates get installed and btw that happens automaticly with no warning.

Over the last few weeks I've been leaving the machine on 24/7 except when I forget and shut it down at night before going to bed, and webpages seem to be loading faster since I started doing that but most programs are still slow to load.

Troy

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:
You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

lynn white

,One thing for sure is happening to me.

Dropbox is up and downloading files very slowly between three machines that I run in the home.

I run an online station and I had to produce shows that have 13 files. The files never downloaded in Dropbox and I had to take the drive that I originally produced the files on and take it over to the machine that would ultimately play the show.

This kind of behavior has been noticeable over the last few weeks.

--
For 24/7 music and shows to encourage you in following Christ, go to https://www.radioforlife.org

valiant8086

Hi.

Dropbox is pretty heavy on system resources especially if you have many thousands of files. You can get your own feel for it though as you already have been. Try it both ways and see whether you notice anything. If you don't, then keeping it running all the time will be the simplest.

Yes if you close it, then you save or copy or move files around in it or out of it etc, it will sync those changes next time the program itself is running.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:
You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

valiant8086

Hi.

Yes you'll need to wait for dropbox to index anything that needs reindexing, sync, and then download new content. If she sent you something big, you'll need time to download it. The tray icon will help with that, as will SpeakDropbox if you actually want it to read automatically when things are happening.

On 8/14/2022 1:30 PM, Gene wrote:
You can start Dropbox by pressing enter on the desktop icon.  Check in a bit, perhaps twenty or thirty seconds or later to see if the icon is in the system tray, which will mean that it is running.

Is there a particular reason you don't want it to run at boot up?  If you use it a good deal, it would be more convenient to let it start at boot up.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 12:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If I don't let dropbox start on boot-up what do I do to see if there is any new content in the dropboxes I share with others? Also, again if it's not starting on boot-up will anything I put in my shared dropboxes get uploaded so it's available for others?

Thanks.

Troy

valiant8086

Hi.

I think the specs are fairly likely to be contributing to your issue. My first guess is that you have a hard drive not an ssd. On Windows 10, Hard Drives being used as the main drive Windows is running on, even if augmented by a small flash storage device called Optane memory, can sometimes be extremely slow especially if the system also has a low amount of RAM. The two issues by themselves don't do much, but combine them and you suddenly have a system that's out of pysical RAM and using the far slower spinning hard drive for backup RAM while simultaneously trying to use that same drive to access the data you want, like when loading a new program. What you get is ridiculous slowness. You know that I'm just pulling at straws since you don't know what specs you really have. If you manage to find out at some point, if you're at 4gb of ram and have a spinning hard drive, whether or not you also have optane memory, that combination is brutal on Windows 10. Didn't hear what version of Windows you are on either for that matter.

Since I might be sounding as though I'm in the "more bigger faster better specs is the only way to be" crowd, 4gb of RAM will work with an ssd, a spinning hard drive will work with 8gb of ram. It's just that combination that blows super hard. Tablets with EMMC storage and 4gb of ram run ok for instance. they're not speed demons, but they get the job done.

Dropbox for one indexes files sometimes. What does that mean? Only that it works the crap out of the hard drive for a while checking every file to see if it matches the server's copy of them. Not unreasonable, but it will make a bad situation a whole lot worse. Luckily, it doesn't do it periodically, just when it starts and when there's a bunch of things being changed, so just leaving the computer running as you mentioned that you have been doing is a good way to try and help the situation.

Good luck, if you do figure out what the specs are or just what the computer's model is, letting the group know could allow people to look it up and see what you're dealing with.