Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2022 4:09 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] phone scams

In the last month or so, I have noticed a new approach by phone scammers.

My phone announces the number of an incoming call, I guess that’s called call display, ha ha.

These number are local numbers, so I think they are coming from someone in my home area.  But they are scams.

Beware amigos!

Marda

They have been doing that in my area for quite awhile.  They think people will be more likely to answer a number if it's a local one like with the same area code.  I never answer an unrecognized number.  I do check voicemail when I get a call so if they leave a message and I get it and decide to call back but I won't answer the initial call because that lets the scammer know the number is legitimate and working and they won't delete it from their list and will keep calling.  I've got this one that has an unintelligible item on the caller id and they may do it for many months or even years but they never leave a message.  If it was important enough the person would leave one.  It's a shame we have to do that but it's like email.  Unless I recognize the address or at least when I check I find out it's legitimate (like by going to the company's actual website) I don't open email and I never open attachments unless it's something I'm expecting.  I also never open links unless I know the address or link is legitimate because I know someone who got malware by clicking on a link in an email that he thought was from someone we knew but it put malware on his computer and he had to do a whole new install of windows and jaws and all his software.  He had a lot of stuff and it took him a couple of days.  I don't know enough about the mechanics of everything to do what procedures he used but it was very involved and this was someone who is a programmer and knows what he's doing but he has a medical condition that supposedly this person sent him an article on and he let his guard down and didn't check out the email address or web link because he recognized the person's name.  It really makes me angry seeing how they do it and it's not just senior citizens though there's a lot of publicity about how they are targeted but it happens a lot with younger people too.

MardaI know people who have gotten malware because they

On 9/6/2022 6:09 PM, Monte Single wrote:

In the last month or so, I have noticed a new approach by phone scammers.

My phone announces the number of an incoming call, I guess that’s called call display, ha ha.

These number are local numbers, so I think they are coming from someone in my home area.  But they are scams.

Beware amigos!

Victor

I haven't experienced this scam yet. I have T-Mobile and they give me "scam likely" alerts whenever I get a suspicious call. I don't answer and I block all unknown callers unless they leave a voicemail. Even then, sometimes I block the number.

I never answer unknown calls. Most of the time I think they're just wrong numbers.

I'm very careful about opening emails and their links too. If I don't know who they are, I just delete the email. Thankfully, I seldom get spam in my gmail inbox.

Victor

On Sep 6, 2022, at 7:54 PM, Marda <marda.pianist@...> wrote:

[...]

I would recommend downloading A spam blocking app such as Truecaller or call protect. This will allow your phone to filter out most of the spam incoming calls. These apps have frequent updates to their database that will automatically occur so it will keep your phone safe.
Hope this helps,

Ashley Breger

On Sep 6, 2022, at 9:54 PM, Marda <marda.pianist@...> wrote:

[...]

�

Beware amigos!

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#107556) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

If you want to view a list of resources and freeware, visit the Tech Talk Wiki:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/wiki/List-of-resources-and-freeware

You can also view/download the list from the "files" section:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/files

To review a list of posting guidelines, go to:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/wiki/Posting-Guidelines

To view the list archives, go to:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/topics

Note that the Wiki and list archives are public so can be viewed by anyone without the need to login with a password. The "files" section cannot be made public so can only be accessed by members and requires you to login.

To join this group, send an email to:
TechTalk+subscribe@groups.io

To send a message to this group, send the message to:
main@TechTalk.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web),send an email to:
TechTalk+nomail@groups.io

To receive message digests instead of individual messages send an email to:
TechTalk+digest@groups.io

To receive individual messages instead of digests, send an email to:
TechTalk+single@groups.io

If you want to discuss anything non-tech related, please move the conversation to our chat subgroup.

To join the chat subgroup, send a message to:
TechTalkChat+subscribe@groups.io

To message the chat subgroup:
TechTalkChat@groups.io

Andy

That might work for a mobile phone, but not for a landline or VOIP home service.

Andy

[...]

That's why it's best to let all calls go to voicemail unless your phone verbally announces incoming phone numbers or you can assign ringtones to specific contacts. I think some phones for landlines have that capability. A blind person with a landline would need an accessible caller ID.

Victor

On Sep 6, 2022, at 9:26 PM, Andy <wq6r@...> wrote:

[...]

Well if you get a certain number calling a lot I think you can block it even on some landlines but I'm not sure as ZI've never tried.  I know if I block one number they'll just switch to another so I just leave them alone and don't answer them.

Marda

On 9/6/2022 11:26 PM, Andy wrote:

[...]

Blocking doesn't work because they use RNG's that are capable of producing thousands of phone numbers, and the typical phone company account will only let you block 100.

Andy

[...]

I have a landline with a cordless phone with several extensions that have talking caller id.  My favorite talking caller id was the classco which was easier to use but unfortunately mine broke when i accidentally knocked it on the floor.  I'd love to have another one of those but the person who I found who recently was selling one wanted a couple of hundred dollars for it and since I had a talking one in my phone I couldn't justify the expense.  I liked the sound quality on the classco a lot better than the one on my phones though and it was just very accessible and I wish they hadn't stopped making them.

Marda

On 9/7/2022 12:08 AM, Victor wrote:

[...]

Unless it's for business purposes, I think most people are using cell phones and VOIP services now because they don't want to pay for a landline in addition to a cell phone plan and a VOIP plan. In any case, many VOIP services have a free option as long as you call others with a VOIP service.

Google Voice is very accessible and you can make phone calls from their website. I've never answered calls on their website, but it's easy to make calls  that way.

Victor

On 9/6/2022 11:26 PM, Andy wrote:

[...]

I didn't know that but I don't try to block them because I know they just go to new numbers anyway so I haven't wasted my time trying to figure out how to block them.

Marda

On 9/7/2022 12:29 AM, Andy wrote:

[...]

I am keeping my landline for now even though the phone company is trying to encourage everyone to go to other kinds of phones because I don't think they want to maintain the copper wire lines.  But I am keeping it for now because there have been times when internet service was out and power was out but the landline phone wasn't and given the fact that I was alone and wanted to have the phone available if possible in case of emergency I was glad I had it.

Marda

On 9/6/2022 11:26 PM, Andy wrote:

[...]

Brian Tew

I have heard of a few cases where people got calls and the displayed number was their own number.

chris judge

I get these all the time. I’ve even had calls that appear to be originating from my own phone number, go figure.

Chris Judge

This has been going on for a long time, and some of the numbers are actually working numbers. If you call back the number, you will get a real person, but that person has nothing to do with the scam.

Andy

In the last month or so, I have noticed a new approach by phone scammers.

My phone announces the number of an incoming call, I guess that’s called call display, ha ha.

These number are local numbers, so I think they are coming from someone in my home area.  But they are scams.

Beware amigos!

Sharon S

Hi, I have had some irritating caller’s not necessarily scams but I have blocked them on my mobile. The biggest one was about solar panels and no matter how many times I told them I already had solar panels they kept calling me and each time it was the same person because I recognised the voice. So, I ended up blocking the number and haven’t received a call from them again. Every so often I go into my call list and can see from there if the blocked numbers have tried to call. I can see a couple of my blocked numbers have tried to call a few times since I blocked them so at least with these numbers it has worked.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute.

[...]

Hi, we are keeping our landline number for now. Which was a good thing recently when we had a bad storm and the power went out. At the same time our mobile tower also went down so none of us could use our mobiles. My brother lives up the road and his mobile was working but he is with a different provider. We have mainly cordless handsets but when we bought the set I advised my parents to buy the one with a corded base unit so if we have power outages we can still use the phone.

From Shaz.

[...]

Hi, I haven’t had my own number ring me but I have had people calling me because they missed a call from my number. It has never been me calling these people so someone else is using my number. If I do miss calls I never return them if it isn’t a number I know because if it wasn’t important enough to leave a voice message then it isn’t worth ringing them back. My dad used to call all missed numbers back but I think we have finally got him out of this because most of the unknown missed calls would be scams.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute.

I have heard of a few cases where people got calls and the displayed number was their own number.

Pamela Dominguez

Yes, I definitely understand.  Case in point around here was superstorm Sandy back in 2012.  The only people who had any way to communicate were the people who had standard landline phones.  Pam.

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

I have TMobile, also, and I have never gotten any kind of scam alert.  Pam.

Sent from Mail for Windows