A frustrating problem using Free Directory Assistance

James Bentley

Hi all,

Here’s hoping that this is not too far off topic.  And, so far, Gene hasn’t killed any one yet.  Uhh.  As far as I know.

For years now, I have not been able to use Free Directory Assistance for phone numbers in my home town of Nacogdoches, Texas.  If you are wondering how to pronounce Nacogdoches, most screen readers get it right when it is spelled like this: Nacogdoechus.

I am calling 800.373.3411 which works reasonablely well with a well known city like Dallas or Houston.  But, for years now, it doesn’t recognize my home town.  This is quite a bummer since I need to be able to find numbers here in Nacogdoches.

I have tried spelling Nacogdoches.  I have tried using just the zip code.  No joy.

Any one have any ideas?

Damn, I miss the good old days when you got a really polite lady who was happy to do a little digging around foryou.

James B

Gene Warner <genewarner3@...>

Who is Gene?

Gene...

On 10/1/2022 4:03 PM, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

The list is about all sorts of technology, not just about computers.

Gene, owner

On 10/1/2022 3:03 PM, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

Monte Single

Mr, b entley may be referring to gene who is a list moderator, I think
He's probably wondering if he is on topic for a tech list.

[...]

That's me, Gene Asner, one of the list owners.

I seldom do anything as an owner because the list usually runs itself well.

Gene

On 10/1/2022 3:31 PM, Gene Warner wrote:
[...]

Have you tried using services online?  Others may have phone suggestions but perhaps you need to use an online site to look up people and businesses.  If you have problems using such sites, we can show you how to use them well.

Gene

[...]

Any one showing me any way to look up local phone numbers will be most welcome.

Thanks,

James B

[...]

Marda

Well there are sites like whitepages.com and yellowpages.com but if I am looking for a business number I just type the business name into my preferred search engine which for me at the moment is duck duck go.  others use google or bing or yahoo or if on an iPhone any of those or the iPhone one that's built into safari.  For personal numbers you can do it through whitepages.ocom or similar sites but i have not done that.  You can also try putting the person's name and any contact info you know like their address into the whitepages.com site or whatever search engine you're using.

Marda

On 10/1/2022 4:16 PM, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

Well.  That worked right off the bat for finding a local ministry.  Wonder why Ididn’t think to try it.  Now, I am going to try Google withlocal individuals phone numbers.

Thanks,

James B

[...]

Gerald Levy

Forget about directory assistance.  Because phone service is so fragmented these days with dozens of land line and cell phone carriers, there is no central repository of phone numbers like there was back in the good old days when big bad Ma Bell and its regional operating companies controlled all phone service in the US,  Directory assistance has become carrier specific.  So if you are a Spectrum customer, for instance,and you call 411 directory assistance, they will only have phone numbers for other Spectrum customers listed in their database.  So if the party whose number you want happens to be a Verizon customer, then you are out of luck.  I can't even remember the last time I received copies of the local White Pages and Yellow Pages, which have not been published for years.  if the party whose number you want only has cell phone service, then getting their number is next to impossible.  Those free 800 directory assistance numberslike 800-FREE-411  are a complete waste of time from my experience, because most of them have not been updated for years, and besides, they do not list numbers for all carriers, only the major ones. Finding phone numbers for businesses and government agencies online is pretty easy, but not so for individuals.  Some web sites will only disclose a residential phone number for a fee,and the information may be out of date, because these sites are not updated regularly.

Gerald

[...]

Well if they have common names you might run into the problem of getting more than one number listed and you might need to know their addresses or something but this is the same way directory assistance used to be when they'd have more than one listing for John Smith or something and they'd give you several numbers and you'd have to pick the right one based on address or other information.

Marda

On 10/1/2022 4:52 PM, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

Gerald, sometimes, You are as encouraging as Hell.  But, I do suspect that most of your comments were correct

However, I just looked up around half a dozen individuals here in Nacogdoches.

I found out a lot of information on each.  Even, what size of underwear that they wear.  No No.  Just kidding on that last remark.

But, most important for me, I now have a method for finding a lot of local numbers that I once could not find.  I’m still wondering why I did not think to even try a search engine like Google before now.

Cheers,

James B

[...]

Yep.  I looked myself up.  There’s just too damn many of us.  Someone has got to go.

Marda, Thanks again for what I should have figured out for myself.

James Bentley.  And, guess which one of us I am?

[...]

There are ways to get cell phone numbers but a lot of them cost money.  There are quite a few people too who don't have service from the major carriers.  Actually I got a copy of our city's yellow pages recently.  Didn't get the white pages though.  Don't even know if they publish those anymore.  Of course the copy of the yellow pages isn't going to be very helpful for me because it's in print but yeah they are still publishing at least those.

Marda

On 10/1/2022 5:07 PM, Gerald Levy via groups.io wrote:

[...]

No problem.  Glad I could help.

Marda

On 10/1/2022 5:28 PM, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

I get a Nacogdoches City white pages every year.  Also a Nacogdoches County with white and yellow pages.  And, also, a white and yellow pages for Nacogdoches and the surrounding area which covers around 8 Cities.

I wish they would just post this information on line and save all of the trees.

James B

[...]

Yes.  There are still people who don't have computers though so i guess I can understand why they still publish print books.  Amazon and other sellers sdtill publish an awful lot of hardcopy books even though they are usually more expensive than kindle or other ebooks.  People still like their paper stuff at least some people do.  I confess that I still like hardcopy braille.  I also like audio books and computers and sometimes even the iPhone though that stupid touch screen still drives me crazy sometimes especially for typing.

Marda

On 10/1/2022 5:47 PM, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

I suspect Gerald is right, that mobile numbers for people can't easily be found a lot of the time.  I was able to easily find my own land line number with a Google search.  I suspect such numbers are likely to be easy to be found in a lot of cases.  But I searched for one or two mobile numbers and I didn't find them.

Gene

On 10/1/2022 5:25 PM, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

My husband got on some databases to get cell phone numbers but they are not easy to get unless you pay money to get on those databases.

Marda

On 10/1/2022 6:07 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

James, have you tried Siri on your iPhone?