a jaws-friendly hard drive tester?

joanne

I know this desktop is pretty old; in fact it was a refurb when I got it a couple years back and I feel like the hard drive has always had some errors. But when I sent out an email a few minutes ago there was a message referring to a possible corrupt database. I know there's check disk and sfc /scannow, but when you restart to run check disk it doesn't tell you what it found when the computer starts after the check. I'm using windows 7 and jaws 2019. Is there a good and thorough hard drive checker that gives the results so you can hear the results using jaws? I know some of these are graphical and unclear as far as showing results, so I hope there's a good one available so I can see what's possibly wrong.

Gene

I expect that Check Disk keeps a log of its corrections and findings.  Others may well know where to find the log. 

I don’t know what leads you to believe that the hard drive has errors.  If you repeatedly run check Disk and you still have problems possibly attributable to the hard drive, then the drive may not be reliable.  Check Disk corrects the errors it can and if it can, it moves data out of bad sectors to good ones.  Ongoing hard drive errors suggests continuing degredation of the hard drive. 

But not knowing what problems you have had in the past, I wouldn’t assume the hard drive is the problem.  Memory problems can cause corruption.  Perhaps other things I am not aware of.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 10:14 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] a jaws-friendly hard drive tester?

I know this desktop is pretty old; in fact it was a refurb when I got it a couple years back and I feel like the hard drive has always had some errors. But when I sent out an email a few minutes ago there was a message referring to a possible corrupt database. I know there's check disk and sfc /scannow, but when you restart to run check disk it doesn't tell you what it found when the computer starts after the check. I'm using windows 7 and jaws 2019. Is there a good and thorough hard drive checker that gives the results so you can hear the results using jaws? I know some of these are graphical and unclear as far as showing results, so I hope there's a good one available so I can see what's possibly wrong.

Howard Traxler

I'm thinking that simply running CHKDSK does not correct any errors.  One must add the appropriate command line options to make the program do anything.

On 10/29/2021 10:26 AM, Gene wrote:
I expect that Check Disk keeps a log of its corrections and findings.  Others may well know where to find the log. 

I don’t know what leads you to believe that the hard drive has errors.  If you repeatedly run check Disk and you still have problems possibly attributable to the hard drive, then the drive may not be reliable.  Check Disk corrects the errors it can and if it can, it moves data out of bad sectors to good ones.  Ongoing hard drive errors suggests continuing degredation of the hard drive. 

But not knowing what problems you have had in the past, I wouldn’t assume the hard drive is the problem.  Memory problems can cause corruption.  Perhaps other things I am not aware of.

Gene

Gene

The program may well have been run not as a command line program but using the Windows interface.  In that case, which check boxes were checked?  We know that the program did do something because the computer was rebooted.  If you run chkdsk on a computer and are checking the drive used by the operating system, the computer must reboot before it runs and the message spoke of rebooting.

Gene

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] a jaws-friendly hard drive tester?

I'm thinking that simply running CHKDSK does not correct any errors.  One must add the appropriate command line options to make the program do anything.

Gene

Thomas N. Chan

chkdsk does record in the event viewer of windows.
The following articles will tell you how despite its referring to windows 10 but it should work well in windows 7.
https://windowsreport.com/chkdsk-logs-windows-10/

My take on this is simple, window NT is very different from older windows like 98 as it does not have DOS or other OS to boot itself up
so, chkdsk will not run in windows, even if you can get those apps which you can find online, it's not going to work in windows properly itself. as there is mounting or dismounting involvement of files and system files etc.

if you think your harddrive is faulty or failing, rather than finding ways to look at those logs, then just get it replaced. 
Even if you did look at the logs, and then find out there's really an error, you still need to replace it.
I feel that harddrive is rather affordable, so if you can replace it yourself, then go for it. if not, you need someone to do it, you still need to do it eventually
Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 at 04:24, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
The program may well have been run not as a command line program but using the Windows interface.  In that case, which check boxes were checked?  We know that the program did do something because the computer was rebooted.  If you run chkdsk on a computer and are checking the drive used by the operating system, the computer must reboot before it runs and the message spoke of rebooting.

Gene
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] a jaws-friendly hard drive tester?

Gene