Topics

a jaws settings question

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I have a baseball game from strat-o-matic.com on my computer that I've been playing for about 3 months now, and quite often after I make the changes I want to make before playing a game the okay button I need to use to move on is grayed out and isn't a button as it should be. I'm hoping that somebody here can suggest a setting in jaws that might solve this problem, although maybe not because it may work one time and not the next and it's with the same settings.

I have another blind friend who plays the game and this never happens to him, and btw the game works best with jaws 2018. There are graphics before each player's name that jaws 2018 voices that 2020 doesn't and that's the reason that we can't use 2020.

If anybody has any ideas please send them my way.

Troy

Mike B

Check your graphics verboscity setting in J18 then change it to the same in J2020 and maybe changing your graphics verboscity setting to, Labeled, if it hasn't been already will help.

With the baseball program open press, Insert + 6, on the number row to open the Settings Center for this application.

Down arrow to, Graphics and Symbols closed, and right arrow to open.

Down arrow to, Graphics verboscity..., and tap the spacebar to toggle through the graphics settings options.  Your options are No graphics, Labeled graphics and All graphics.  Stop on, Labeled graphics, tab to, Apply, press the spacebar, tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

If this doesn't help you can return the setting back to where it was if you like, but leaving it on Labeled I find works best with Jaws.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

I have a baseball game from strat-o-matic.com on my computer that I've
been playing for about 3 months now, and quite often after I make the
changes I want to make before playing a game the okay button I need to
use to move on is grayed out and isn't a button as it should be. I'm
hoping that somebody here can suggest a setting in jaws that might solve
this problem, although maybe not because it may work one time and not
the next and it's with the same settings.

I have another blind friend who plays the game and this never happens to
him, and btw the game works best with jaws 2018. There are graphics
before each player's name that jaws 2018 voices that 2020 doesn't and
that's the reason that we can't use 2020.

If anybody has any ideas please send them my way.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Mike,

I have jaws 2020 set to read labeled graphics and when I go into the game with 2020 loaded it doesn't even see the graphics that 2018 sees.

Maybe it would work to label the graphics with 2018 and then use 2020, but it's not the graphics I'm having trouble with it's that the okay button is sometimes grayed out for no known reason. In fact I've seen it where the okay button is there one time I play and then the next time it isn't, and no settings have been changed.

It's just weird to me that I sometimes have the problem and sometimes I don't, and yet my friend who also plays never has the problem. That's why I was asking about jaws settings, if I knew what settings might need to be changed I could compare my settings to the ones my friend has.

Troy

Troy

On 9/24/2020 6:26 PM, Mike B wrote:

[...]

Gene

That shouldn't be a JAWS problem. Have you had someone look at the program when the button is grayed out? It is very likely that it is grayed out in the program. Whether you are doing something incorrect or the program is having a problem, I don't know.

I have a baseball game from strat-o-matic.com on my computer that I've
been playing for about 3 months now, and quite often after I make the
changes I want to make before playing a game the okay button I need to
use to move on is grayed out and isn't a button as it should be. I'm
hoping that somebody here can suggest a setting in jaws that might solve
this problem, although maybe not because it may work one time and not
the next and it's with the same settings.

I have another blind friend who plays the game and this never happens to
him, and btw the game works best with jaws 2018. There are graphics
before each player's name that jaws 2018 voices that 2020 doesn't and
that's the reason that we can't use 2020.

If anybody has any ideas please send them my way.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Thanks Gene I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense.

Troy

-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham

I have a baseball game from strat-o-matic.com on my computer that I've
been playing for about 3 months now, and quite often after I make the
changes I want to make before playing a game the okay button I need to
use to move on is grayed out and isn't a button as it should be. I'm
hoping that somebody here can suggest a setting in jaws that might solve
this problem, although maybe not because it may work one time and not
the next and it's with the same settings.

I have another blind friend who plays the game and this never happens to
him, and btw the game works best with jaws 2018. There are graphics
before each player's name that jaws 2018 voices that 2020 doesn't and
that's the reason that we can't use 2020.

If anybody has any ideas please send them my way.

Troy

Mike B

Just for the hell of it try using the touch cursor to see if you can pick up a button or another control that the Jaws PC cursor isn't picking up.  Gene is probably correct, but in this situation it doesn't hurt to try other options for experimentation sake.  It might be that one of those graphics needs to be clicked on to make the Okay button active.

On 9/24/2020 8:52 PM, Gene wrote:
> That shouldn't be a JAWS problem. Have you had someone look at the
> program when the button is grayed out? It is very likely that it is
> grayed out in the program. Whether you are doing something incorrect
> or the program is having a problem, I don't know.
>
> Gene
> -----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
> Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 8:46 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] a jaws settings question
>
> Mike,
>
> I have jaws 2020 set to read labeled graphics and when I go into the
> game with 2020 loaded it doesn't even see the graphics that 2018 sees.
>
> Maybe it would work to label the graphics with 2018 and then use 2020,
> but it's not the graphics I'm having trouble with it's that the okay
> button is sometimes grayed out for no known reason. In fact I've seen
> it where the okay button is there one time I play and then the next
> time it isn't, and no settings have been changed.
>
> It's just weird to me that I sometimes have the problem and sometimes
> I don't, and yet my friend who also plays never has the problem.
> That's why I was asking about jaws settings, if I knew what settings
> might need to be changed I could compare my settings to the ones my
> friend has.
>
> Troy
>

> Troy
>

> On 9/24/2020 6:26 PM, Mike B wrote:
>
> Check your graphics verboscity setting in J18 then change it to the
> same in J2020 and maybe changing your graphics verboscity setting to,
> Labeled, if it hasn't been already will help.
>
> With the baseball program open press, Insert + 6, on the number row to
> open the Settings Center for this application.
>
> Down arrow to, Graphics and Symbols closed, and right arrow to open.
>
> Down arrow to, Graphics verboscity..., and tap the spacebar to toggle
> through the graphics settings options. Your options are No graphics,
> Labeled graphics and All graphics. Stop on, Labeled graphics, tab to,
> Apply, press the spacebar, tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.
>
> If this doesn't help you can return the setting back to where it was
> if you like, but leaving it on Labeled I find works best with Jaws.
>

> Take care and stay safe. Mike.
> Sent from my iBarstool. Go dodgers!
> ----- Original Message ----- From: Troy Burnham

Mike B

Have you tried exporting your J18 settings, then importing them into J2020?  You could try this just to see if that will help.  But, if you decide to do this backup your J2020 settings beforehand as well so if importing the J18 settings doesn't help you can go back to your original J2020 settings.  Steps are below:

You export all your settings by going into the Jaws context menu with, Jaws key + J, if you run Jaws from the system tray.  Then go to, Utilities / Import
/ Export settings submenu and press enter.  Now arrow down to, Export settings..., press enter, now make sure that the, Export all settings radio  button
is selected.  Tab to, next, press spacebar.  You're now in a dialog to select a name & save location, but the file will already be named and the default
location is the desktop, so tab to finish , press enter and all your settings for that Jaws version will be saved to the desktop.  After you install Jaws
just import this settings file.

On 9/24/2020 8:52 PM, Gene wrote:
> That shouldn't be a JAWS problem. Have you had someone look at the
> program when the button is grayed out? It is very likely that it is
> grayed out in the program. Whether you are doing something incorrect
> or the program is having a problem, I don't know.
>
> Gene
> -----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
> Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 8:46 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] a jaws settings question
>
> Mike,
>
> I have jaws 2020 set to read labeled graphics and when I go into the
> game with 2020 loaded it doesn't even see the graphics that 2018 sees.
>
> Maybe it would work to label the graphics with 2018 and then use 2020,
> but it's not the graphics I'm having trouble with it's that the okay
> button is sometimes grayed out for no known reason. In fact I've seen
> it where the okay button is there one time I play and then the next
> time it isn't, and no settings have been changed.
>
> It's just weird to me that I sometimes have the problem and sometimes
> I don't, and yet my friend who also plays never has the problem.
> That's why I was asking about jaws settings, if I knew what settings
> might need to be changed I could compare my settings to the ones my
> friend has.
>
> Troy
>

> Troy
>

> On 9/24/2020 6:26 PM, Mike B wrote:
>
> Check your graphics verboscity setting in J18 then change it to the
> same in J2020 and maybe changing your graphics verboscity setting to,
> Labeled, if it hasn't been already will help.
>
> With the baseball program open press, Insert + 6, on the number row to
> open the Settings Center for this application.
>
> Down arrow to, Graphics and Symbols closed, and right arrow to open.
>
> Down arrow to, Graphics verboscity..., and tap the spacebar to toggle
> through the graphics settings options. Your options are No graphics,
> Labeled graphics and All graphics. Stop on, Labeled graphics, tab to,
> Apply, press the spacebar, tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.
>
> If this doesn't help you can return the setting back to where it was
> if you like, but leaving it on Labeled I find works best with Jaws.
>

> Take care and stay safe. Mike.
> Sent from my iBarstool. Go dodgers!
> ----- Original Message ----- From: Troy Burnham

Troy Burnham

Thanks Mike. I need to check with my friend because he's been playing the game longer than I have and I know there are limits on the number of players that can be active at any one time but I don't remember what the limits are, maybe I'm just trying to activate too many players and that's why I don't have the okay button.

Another thing I want to try is to load the default settings of jaws 2018, maybe that'll help too if one of the settings I changed is the one causing the problem.

Troy