Topics

A new free antivirus program

Gene

Recently, my Microsoft Security Essentials developed a problem.  It downloads definitions but can't install them, it says there is a connection or network problem, but it first shows that it is downloading for many minutes.  I tried manually downloading definitions but they won't install.

I may have to use another program on my Windows 7 machine.  I don't use the machine online much and infection isn't likely but I'd still like something. 

I recently saw a discussion about using version 8 of Esset.  Does such an old version still do a good job and are there problems it causes in operation of the computer or performance?

Thanks for any information.

Gene

Gene

Also, since you are likely reading this thread, mike, I tried your suggestion for a program to check for infection and it works well 

Thanks.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 4:35 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] A new free antivirus program

Recently, my Microsoft Security Essentials developed a problem.  It downloads definitions but can't install them, it says there is a connection or network problem, but it first shows that it is downloading for many minutes.  I tried manually downloading definitions but they won't install.

I may have to use another program on my Windows 7 machine.  I don't use the machine online much and infection isn't likely but I'd still like something. 

I recently saw a discussion about using version 8 of Esset.  Does such an old version still do a good job and are there problems it causes in operation of the computer or performance?

Gene

Vicki W

I have that version on my older desktop and for months I keep getting a message to update it. I'm not sure that it updates the definitions, but it will bug you several times a day to update the program.

Vicki

Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 3:35 PM

Gene

James Bentley

Hi Gene,

Have you tried doing a repair?  I think that that might be some where in programs and features.  Maybe where you delete or change programs.

Cheers,

James B

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Vicki W
Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 12:30 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] A new free antivirus program

I have that version on my older desktop and for months I keep getting a message to update it. I'm not sure that it updates the definitions, but it will bug you several times a day to update the program.

Vicki

Gene

Gene

I tried installing the program but it didn’t help. 

I can check off and on with the free version of Malware bytes and the program Mike told me about, Emsisoft Emergency Kit.  I won’t have real time protection, but since I use the machine in such a limited way online, probably nothing will happen, though I’d rather have protection.  But because I use it in such a very limited way online, I don’t recall MSSE flagging anything since I’ve had the machine, and I’ve had it for a lot of years.

And after the problem developed, neither Malware Bytes nor Emsisoft Emergency Kit found anything.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 1:47 PM

Hi Gene,

Have you tried doing a repair?  I think that that might be some where in programs and features.  Maybe where you delete or change programs.

Cheers,

James B

I have that version on my older desktop and for months I keep getting a message to update it. I'm not sure that it updates the definitions, but it will bug you several times a day to update the program.

Vicki

Gene

James Bentley

I don’t have a PC with Win7 any more.  But I thought you could go in to programs and Features…the place where you can change or delete programs.

I know that I have run repairs on WLM and MS. Security Essentials in there.

You have apparently tried reinstalling Essentials, but have you tried to do a repair.

The repair did fix WLM for me many times.

Cheers,

James B

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:08 PM

I can check off and on with the free version of Malware bytes and the program Mike told me about, Emsisoft Emergency Kit.  I won’t have real time protection, but since I use the machine in such a limited way online, probably nothing will happen, though I’d rather have protection.  But because I use it in such a very limited way online, I don’t recall MSSE flagging anything since I’ve had the machine, and I’ve had it for a lot of years.

And after the problem developed, neither Malware Bytes nor Emsisoft Emergency Kit found anything.

Gene

Hi Gene,

Cheers,

James B

I have that version on my older desktop and for months I keep getting a message to update it. I'm not sure that it updates the definitions, but it will bug you several times a day to update the program.

Vicki

Gene

Gene

Many programs don't have a repair or some have it in other ways.  There is no repair for that program.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 4:44 PM

I don’t have a PC with Win7 any more.  But I thought you could go in to programs and Features…the place where you can change or delete programs.

I know that I have run repairs on WLM and MS. Security Essentials in there.

You have apparently tried reinstalling Essentials, but have you tried to do a repair.

The repair did fix WLM for me many times.

Cheers,

James B

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:08 PM

Gene

Hi Gene,

Cheers,

James B

Vicki

Gene