From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kay Malmquist
Sent: January-12-20 1:39 AM
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] A problem with an SD card in a VR Trek

Hello,

I added a couple of .docx to the text files folder of a card that I have been using for quite some time.  Now when I try to put it in my VRTrek,I get a media 3 error.  So I tried another card and all is fine with that.  So, I decided to put it back in to my computer and the disc name does not come up on the list of drives.  It just says the drive name.  When I press enter on it, I am asked if I want to reformat?  Ok, if it is corrupted is their any way to salvage what is on there?  I have a ton of notes that I really need for classes and things like that.  I have a san disc utility but I don't think that does any salvage functions.  any thoughts?  I have at least 30 GB of books and other things.  Please if you have any ideas, let me know.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

No matter where you are, no matter how difficult things might appear to be, you are always being moved toward magnificence. Always.
Author Unknown

Kay Malmquist

It is in the correct position.  I thought of that and checked.  Thanks though.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

No matter where you are, no matter how difficult things might appear to be, you are always being moved toward magnificence. Always.
Author Unknown

You could check the right-protect tab and make sure it is in the down position.

Just a thought.

[...]

Steven Johnson

Good morning Kay.  I had an SD card do that to me about a month ago.  My computer wouldn’t let me open it, and I couldn’t get JAWS to read the actual volume label.  I was able to get at my documents and make the card work again with the repair functionality of chkdsk under Windows 10.  First, make sure that you know the drive letter of your card; for example, f:.  Do Windows key X, then arrow down to Windows Power Shell Admin, or instead hit the letter A.  A command prompt will open.  Type chkdsk /f /r f: and hit enter.  I don’t think it can do any harm, and it may work.  It takes a while to do its thing.

[...]

Can I do this in XP?  Sorry but that is what is on this machine.

[...]

Yes, you can.  However, I haven’t seen XP in so long that I can’t remember how to get to the command prompt.  I seem to remember that it is located under accessories.  Maybe go to the start menu, go to all programs, and I think accessories was near the bottom of the list.  Once you get to the command prompt though, you can type chkdsk /f /r e: or whatever your card’s drive letter is, and chkdsk will try to find and repair bad/corrupt sectors on the card.  It seems to be worth a shot anyhow.

[...]

Ok, I can find command prompt, but it has been a long while since I have used it.  You said to type:
chkdsk /f /r e:
I totally get the chkdsk, which is to check disk but now to understand the rest.since my drive is the E drive, I assume that I change the /f to, /e?  Then what is the /r e: for?  And lastly, do I leave all the spaces in there as you have them?  Thanks for any help.

[...]

/f Fixes errors on the disk.

/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

If your SD card has a drive letter of E, you would type the following in command prompt:  chkdsk /f /r e:

[...]

Ok,  I'll give it a shot tomorrow.  Sorry, had a late night last night and am going to crash and get up in the morning and run to several different things, but when I land, I'll get on it and let you know how things went.  Thanks

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

No matter where you are, no matter how difficult things might appear to be, you are always being moved toward magnificence. Always.
Rhonda Byrne

[...]

Steven,
When I tried typing this in to command prompt, this is the message I got.
The type of the file system is raw, chkdsk is not available for raw drives.
Any idea about this?

[...]

Sorry Kay.  Maybe someone else on the list will have an idea how to retrieve your lost data, but the word “raw” reported by chkdsk makes me think that your computer can’t read the file system on your card.  I don’t know of any data recovery software that still works with Windows XP that is accessible.  At my modest level of expertise, if I had a card that seems corrupted like yours, I would be tempted to turn to a data recovery company if my data was that important to me.  Sorry, I’m fresh out of ideas regarding recovery of data from SD cards with a corrupted file system.

[...]

Gene

To try to avoid this happening in future, is safely remove hardware or the equivalent used with such cards either in the Trek or in Windows?  There may be no connection between that feature and the current problem but I wonder if there might be.

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2020 1:18 PM

[...]

I won't be going to a data recovery service for this data, but I will be cussing up a blue streak now and then for a while as I realize just what I have lost.  It won't be good, but I'll recover.  I have one more buddy that I will ask, but if he doesn't know, I'm going to declare it as a tragic write off.  Thanks anyway for the help though, I honestly do appreciate it.

[...]

I hear you about the safely remove hardware feature.  The old saying use it or lose it comes to mind.

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2020 1:18 PM