From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2022 7:58 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] A ridiculous behavior of JAWS with Thunderbird

I usually use NVDA and I didn't know about this ridiculous JAWS behavior

until now.  I wanted to see how JAWS works with Thunderbird and I opened

a message.  I give the say all command after I open a message to avoid

repetitious and unnecessary speech when reading e-mail in e-mail

programs.  In the case of Thunderbird, JAWS reads the subject line when

you use read to end.  That's because it is shown at the top of the

message body.  It is not part of the message body, JAWS should not show

it as though it is, and JAWS shouldn't impose this behavior on people.

People are perfectly capable of hearing the subject line in all sorts of

ways.  I wonder why this hasn't been complained about before on lists I

follow.  I hope those who use JAWS with Thunderbird complain to whomever

the right department is to be complained to.

I unintentionally sent my message before it was finished.  I was saying that I find the excess verbosity so annoying that I would seriously consider using NVDA for e-mail in Thunderbird even if I didn't use it for other things.

And I'll discuss the verbosity when I recommend Thunderbird in future.

Gene

On 6/29/2022 1:12 PM, Gene wrote:
Even if I used JAWS for a good deal of other programs, I find this excessive verbosity that I would seriously consider using NVDA for e-mail even if I didn't want to use it for other things.  I can't tell you how glad I am that NVDA doesn't do this.

From now on, if I recommend Thunderbird, I'll discuss the JAWS behavior so JAWS users reading the thread

Freedom does never fix anything better just use NVDA. Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows