A warning in the Pontes Media download log

Gene

Here is a warning that sometimes appears in the Pontes Media Download log.  What does it mean and does it matter if you are just extracting audio?
Thanks for any information.

WARNING: "-f best" selects the best pre-merged format which is often not the best option.
To let yt-dlp download and merge the best available formats, simply do not pass any format selection.
If you know what you are doing and want only the best pre-merged format, use "-f b" instead to suppress this warning

Gene

Ron Canazzi

Hi Gene,

Here is a link that discusses the issue.  I can't say as I understand it, but it may have something to do with the idea that if you choose to convert to an audio only format and there is low or no audio, you get this error. They seem to be saying something about downloading in  the original format--either WEBM or MP4 that will give you the completed download, but that's just a guess on my part. This stuff is high level computer coding.
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/issues/3461

On 8/2/2022 2:32 AM, Gene wrote:
Here is a warning that sometimes appears in the Pontes Media Download log.  What does it mean and does it matter if you are just extracting audio?
Thanks for any information.

WARNING: "-f best" selects the best pre-merged format which is often not the best option.
To let yt-dlp download and merge the best available formats, simply do not pass any format selection.
If you know what you are doing and want only the best pre-merged format, use "-f b" instead to suppress this warning

Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;

I'm not sure I understand what is occurring according to the discussion but it appears that at times, Pontes, using the download program it uses, may download a format without audio.  Perhaps in that instance, manually selecting another format, if that can be done, might solve the problem.  If I have such a problem, I'll look to see if I have other formats to choose from to download the original file.

Gene

On 8/2/2022 2:32 AM, Gene wrote:
Here is a warning that sometimes appears in the Pontes Media Download log.  What does it mean and does it matter if you are just extracting audio?
Thanks for any information.

WARNING: "-f best" selects the best pre-merged format which is often not the best option.
To let yt-dlp download and merge the best available formats, simply do not pass any format selection.
If you know what you are doing and want only the best pre-merged format, use "-f b" instead to suppress this warning

Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;

I forgot to thank you for the link.