From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: June 16, 2021 5:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] a white cane question

Hi all,

I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?

I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

I don’t know if you can generalize.  I haven’t seen a lot of different brands of folding canes.  I’d have to checck on the brand I have.  it is a carbon fiber cane, I believe and the sections are well held to each other by elastic.  I’m not sure if the sections can move a very small bit but if so,, it is almost no movement.

But whether I am out with a sighted person or not, I always have a cane with me where I can get it such as next to my chair.  How do I know if some unexpected emergency might occur and I might have to use it for some reason.

Not having a cane with you means you are giving up the ability to be independent if there is some unexpected reason that makes it either necessary or desirable to be able to do so.

Or it means you are giving up the ability to move when you can tell where you want to go.  if you are in the livingroom and you want to go to the kitchen in an unfamiliar house to join in a conversation, you can hear people talking and know where it is.  But without a cane, you don’t know if you might run into something or knock something down.  With a cane, you can go to the kitchen.  You aren’t going to know where rooms are that don’t give you that sort of auditory information, such as a bathroom.  but you won’t have to get help moving to and in rooms where you can tell where they are from where you are.

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 6:26 PM

Hi all,

I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost
always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do
have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's
slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3
sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made
these days?

I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when
I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to
me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or
in some other obstacle.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Monty,

This cane is 3 sections like the others I've had over the years, but as I said the shaft of this cane is just slightly bigger around than the others I've had. Maybe the elastic cord inside the shaft is slightly looser than I'm used to and that's what causes it to not seem quite as solid as my past canes have been. It may not be as fragile as it seems to be, I'm just used to the sections fitting together more snugly than this.

Troy

On 6/16/2021 6:41 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Troy,
Mostof the canes I have seen are
4 sections which fit together quite snugly with and heavy, inner elastic chord.
They definitely do not fall apart.

I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?

I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.

Thanks.

Troy

Victor

I usually take my cane wherever I go as well. I didn’t when I was younger, but I find myself doing it more now just to be on the safe side.

Victor

On Jun 16, 2021, at 8:02 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Nancy Hill

Almost every time I go out with husband or friend.  I have my Seeing Eye Dog, Nelly and for 'just in case' I always carry a collapseable carbon fiber cane in side my purse.

I don't know how to do it, but could someone advise how to check if the cord that works a folding cane could be  shortened to add to the solid feel of the cane while in use?

nancy

On 6/17/2021 12:13 AM, Victor wrote:
[...]

Are there any good collapsible canes out there? I’m not talking about the folding ones. I’m talking about the telescopic ones. The ones that are kind of like an antenna. I’ve only put my hands on one and that was a long time ago. But I have heard that these telescoping canes break very easily.

Victor

On Jun 16, 2021, at 10:08 PM, Nancy Hill <girlyscream@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

victor, the cane I have is one of those

telescopic ones and because it is so lite I would only use it to 'look around' if and when I had a reason. It is only my security cane. Before I got Nelly I used a folding cane.

nancy

On 6/17/2021 1:13 AM, Victor wrote:
[...]

Hi Nancy:

Thank you for the information. I will probably stick with my folding cane. It doesn’t sound like I would want to use a telescopic cane all the time.

Thanks again,

Victor

On Jun 16, 2021, at 10:33 PM, Nancy Hill <girlyscream@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

Monte Single

Hi Victor,

I have had at least 2 or 3 telescopic canes.
I really like them for places like airports and planes, restaurants.
When I was working, I kept one at work.
I like how easy it is to collapse them and hang them on a chair or in a pouch etc..
But!! All the ones I have had would be rated as flimsy, they break real easy, usually at the bottom joint.
I'd like to find one that did not break so easily.

I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?

I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

What's different about a telescopic cane?

Btw I keep my cane in the car in case of an emergency, I just don't normally use it.

Troy

On 6/17/2021 6:17 AM, Monte Single wrote:
[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

No, there are many different types of white canes, everything from rigid ones to folding ones in six sections. You may want to purchase a new cane just in case this old one breaks.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

Can you have someone check to see what the brand is?  I believe NFB makes a cane that is wider around than canes generally are.  I haven’t used one but I did see one, though I didn’t pay much attention to a detailed inspection.  But I think the tension is less than on many canes.  If it is a cane made by NFB, I would think its fine.  After all, since all sorts of NFB members likely use it, if there were problems with the cane, the design would be expected to have been changed.

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 7:50 AM

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Monte Single

A telescopic cane is like the old car radio antennas or a telescope; it consists of sections that slide into each other so that a cane that is 54 inches long will probably be only 11 or 12 inches long when the sections are collapsed.
The ones I have seen usually have five sections.

I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?

I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

And since the sections slide into each other, each section closer to the bottom is smaller around than the one above it because it slides into the section above it.  that’s why one of the messages said that the cane usually breaks in the bottom section, it is the smallest and weakest one.

An interesting qquestion is that, if a telescoping cane were made that was sufficiently strong on the bottom piece, how large around would the top piece have to be.  It might be so large that the cane couldn’t be held conveniently when used.  that’s my guess as to why no one has said they know of an adequately strong one for anything like normal use.

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 8:33 AM

A telescopic cane is like the old car radio antennas or a telescope;  it consists of sections that slide into each other so that a cane that is 54 inches long will probably be only 11 or 12 inches long when the sections are collapsed.
The ones I have seen usually have  five sections.
What's different about a telescopic cane?

Btw I keep my cane in the car in case of an emergency, I just don't normally use it.

Troy

On 6/17/2021 6:17 AM, Monte Single wrote:
> Hi Victor,
>
> I have had   at least 2 or 3 telescopic canes.
> I really like them for places like airports and planes, restaurants.
> When I was working, I kept one at work.
> I like how easy it is to collapse them and hang them on a chair or in a pouch etc..
> But!!  All the ones I have had  would be rated as flimsy,  they break real easy, usually at the bottom joint.
> I'd like to find one that did not break  so easily.

Troy Burnham

Gene,

I'll have my mom check to see if a brand name is on it, as I say an O&M friend gave it to me so I didn't buy it myself.

Troy

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 7:50 AM

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Pamela Dominguez

I've never seen a cane that's loose like that. Pam.

I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost
always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do
have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's
slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3
sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made
these days?

I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when
I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to
me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or
in some other obstacle.

Thanks.

Troy

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

There are also six-section ones that I like better, because the sections are shorter, which makes the cane easier to carry and put in something when folded up. But they are still tight. Pam.

4 sections which fit together quite snugly with and heavy, inner elastic chord.
They definitely do not fall apart.

I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?

I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.

Thanks.

Troy

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

Definitely!  And if something should happen to that person who is taking you wherever, and you have to take over, you won’t have the ability to do so.  Pam.

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 6:26 PM

Hi all,

I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost
always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do
have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's
slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3
sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made
these days?

I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when
I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to
me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or
in some other obstacle.

Thanks.

Troy

Pamela Dominguez

He mentioned his cane is three sections. I've never seen one that only has three sections and that is fat. Pam.