a winamp question

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

Normally when I play a file in winamp I can use right and left arrow to go forward and backward through the file and up and down arrow changes the volume, but for some reason that isn't working now. When winamp opens up I hear equalizer, if that's not the right mode for what I want to do how do I get to the right mode? I'm not sure how the mode got changed if indeed it did.

Thanks.

Troy

lynn white

Press control tab until you hear what you want. Winamp is getting very contrary these days.

On 10/1/2021 11:10 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

Normally when I play a file in winamp I can use right and left arrow to go forward and backward through the file and up and down arrow changes the volume, but for some reason that isn't working now. When winamp opens up I hear equalizer, if that's not the right mode for what I want to do how do I get to the right mode? I'm not sure how the mode got changed if indeed it did.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

You evidently issued a command that opened the equalizer and then another command that placed you in it.  Open Winamp.  Use the command control f4, not alt f4, to close the equalizer window that you are in.  You should now be back in the main window where you want to be.

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2021 11:10 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] a winamp question

Hi all,

Normally when I play a file in winamp I can use right and left arrow to
go forward and backward through the file and up and down arrow changes
the volume, but for some reason that isn't working now. When winamp
opens up I hear equalizer, if that's not the right mode for what I want
to do how do I get to the right mode? I'm not sure how the mode got
changed if indeed it did.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

Winamp is the same as it has been for decades.  Be careful not to issue commands you don’t intend to.  Winamp has a lot of commands that do things and many of them are single letter key presses.  And be careful not to issue combination commands you don’t intend to.  For example, the command to toggle opened and closed the Winamp equalizer is alt g.

If you inadvertently open a window you don’t intend to open, if you are in the window, control f4 will close it.  If you want to see how many windows are opened and close those you don’t want opened, control tab repeatedly and use control f4 to close windows you don’t want opened.

If you want to know what Winamp window you are in, reading the title bar will tell you.  When you are in the main Window, you won’t hear a window named but,for example, if you are in the equalizer window, the title bar will say Winamp equalizer.

Press control tab until you hear what you want. Winamp is getting very
contrary these days.

On 10/1/2021 11:10 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Normally when I play a file in winamp I can use right and left arrow
> to go forward and backward through the file and up and down arrow
> changes the volume, but for some reason that isn't working now. When
> winamp opens up I hear equalizer, if that's not the right mode for
> what I want to do how do I get to the right mode? I'm not sure how the
> mode got changed if indeed it did.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Troy

Ron Canazzi

Hi Troy,

make sure your main window is open. The hotkey for this is alt + W. If for some reason that does not work, then use the menu system with alt + f followed by B and then arrow down to the main window item and press enter if it is unchecked.

--
Signature:

Troy Burnham

Thanks for the suggestions all, the winamp window is open when something is playing and I thought I had been hitting ctrl-tab to change the mode but maybe I wasn't.

Troy

On 10/1/2021 11:51 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Troy,

make sure your main window is open. The hotkey for this is alt + W. If for some reason that does not work, then use the menu system with alt + f followed by B and then arrow down to the main window item and press enter if it is unchecked.

On 10/1/2021 12:10 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

Normally when I play a file in winamp I can use right and left arrow to go forward and backward through the file and up and down arrow changes the volume, but for some reason that isn't working now. When winamp opens up I hear equalizer, if that's not the right mode for what I want to do how do I get to the right mode? I'm not sure how the mode got changed if indeed it did.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

Control tab will move you from one opened window to another if there is more than one window opened.  But if your only intent is to use the main window, you can move to other opened windows and close them with control f4.

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2021 9:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions all, the winamp window is open when something
is playing and I thought I had been hitting ctrl-tab to change the mode
but maybe I wasn't.

Troy

On 10/1/2021 11:51 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> make sure your main window is open. The hotkey for this is alt + W. If
> for some reason that does not work, then use the menu system with alt
> + f followed by B and then arrow down to the main window item and
> press enter if it is unchecked.
>

> On 10/1/2021 12:10 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Normally when I play a file in winamp I can use right and left arrow
>> to go forward and backward through the file and up and down arrow
>> changes the volume, but for some reason that isn't working now. When
>> winamp opens up I hear equalizer, if that's not the right mode for
>> what I want to do how do I get to the right mode? I'm not sure how
>> the mode got changed if indeed it did.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> Troy

Troy Burnham

Gene,

All I'm trying to do is get back to the part of the winamp window where I can use the arrow keys. From what jaws is telling me I appear to be in the equalizer when winamp opens, and unless there's just something wrong with the file I'm trying to play the arrow keys aren't doing anything.

The file I'm trying to play is a podcast episode that I downloaded, I didn't think until just now that the problem may be with the file and not what winamp mode I'm in.

Troy

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2021 9:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions all, the winamp window is open when something
is playing and I thought I had been hitting ctrl-tab to change the mode
but maybe I wasn't.

Troy

On 10/1/2021 11:51 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> make sure your main window is open. The hotkey for this is alt + W. If
> for some reason that does not work, then use the menu system with alt
> + f followed by B and then arrow down to the main window item and
> press enter if it is unchecked.
>

> On 10/1/2021 12:10 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Normally when I play a file in winamp I can use right and left arrow
>> to go forward and backward through the file and up and down arrow
>> changes the volume, but for some reason that isn't working now. When
>> winamp opens up I hear equalizer, if that's not the right mode for
>> what I want to do how do I get to the right mode? I'm not sure how
>> the mode got changed if indeed it did.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> Troy

Troy Burnham

It isn't the file that's the problem, I just played some music and I could use the b and z to skip songs but the arrow keys still didn't do anything.

[...]

The problem is with the window not the mode you are in.  Did you follow my instructions in my first message?  When Winamp opens, close the equalizer window with control f4.  You will then be in the main window if you don’t have any other windows opened, which you probably don’t.

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2021 9:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions all, the winamp window is open when something
is playing and I thought I had been hitting ctrl-tab to change the mode
but maybe I wasn't.

Troy

On 10/1/2021 11:51 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> make sure your main window is open. The hotkey for this is alt + W. If
> for some reason that does not work, then use the menu system with alt
> + f followed by B and then arrow down to the main window item and
> press enter if it is unchecked.
>

> On 10/1/2021 12:10 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Normally when I play a file in winamp I can use right and left arrow
>> to go forward and backward through the file and up and down arrow
>> changes the volume, but for some reason that isn't working now. When
>> winamp opens up I hear equalizer, if that's not the right mode for
>> what I want to do how do I get to the right mode? I'm not sure how
>> the mode got changed if indeed it did.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> Troy

Troy Burnham

Thanks Gene. I was multitasking when I read the message where you told me how to close the equalizer mode so I missed it.

Troy

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2021 9:03 PM