From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharon Hooley
Sent: June 15, 2022 8:06 PM
To: Techtalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] accessibility with dropbox?

Hi,

I haven't kept up with the dropbox subjects, so if I'm asking for a repeat, I apologize, and you are welcome to reply privately. So, in Windows 10 or 11, is there still an accessible way to download shared files from dropbox? If so, how?

Thanks,

Gene

Do you mean if you are sharing a folder or if someone sends you a link?

Gene

On 6/15/2022 9:06 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
Hi,

I haven't kept up with the dropbox subjects, so if I'm asking for a repeat, I apologize, and you are welcome to reply privately. So, in Windows 10 or 11, is there still an accessible way to download shared files from dropbox?  If so, how?

Thanks,

.

Sharon Hooley

No, my friend put some files into our shared folder.  She did not send a link.  I found the files, but don't know how to download them to my laptop the accessible way.

Thanks again,

Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids?  Visit
www.CochlearAmericas.com

On Jun 15, 2022, at 11:48 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

 Do you mean if you are sharing a folder or if someone sends you a link?

Gene

On 6/15/2022 9:06 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
Hi,

I haven't kept up with the dropbox subjects, so if I'm asking for a repeat, I apologize, and you are welcome to reply privately. So, in Windows 10 or 11, is there still an accessible way to download shared files from dropbox?  If so, how?

Thanks,

.

Gene

I would think you could copy them to the clip board and paste them where you want them but I haven't worked with shared folders for so long, I can't be sure that will work.  If it doesn't, I have other suggestions.

Gene

On 6/17/2022 1:12 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
No, my friend put some files into our shared folder.  She did not send a link.  I found the files, but don't know how to download them to my laptop the accessible way.

Thanks again,

Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids?  Visit

On Jun 15, 2022, at 11:48 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

 Do you mean if you are sharing a folder or if someone sends you a link?

Gene

On 6/15/2022 9:06 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
Hi,

I haven't kept up with the dropbox subjects, so if I'm asking for a repeat, I apologize, and you are welcome to reply privately. So, in Windows 10 or 11, is there still an accessible way to download shared files from dropbox?  If so, how?

Thanks,

.

Sharon Hooley

Are you saying that I might be able to go to the Dropbox website, find my shared folder in my account, and use ctrl plus c on a file, then ctrl plus v where I want it on a drive on my laptop?

On Jun 17, 2022, at 12:49 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

That is my guess.  When I have a shared folder, I see every file in the folder in my Dropbox application when I am in that folder.

Gene

On 6/17/2022 2:42 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
[...]

john s

Sharon, you should be able to go to the folder on your pc and copy or move from there.

At 01:12 PM 6/17/2022, Sharon Hooley, wrote:
[...]

Andy

Actually, I have found it easier to use the web site.  You can even do it on your iphone if you have your Dropbox linked to your iPhone and PC.
Andy

[...]

Why is it easier on the web site?  If you can do this the way I think you can, you would copy and paste just as you would any time you use file explorer to copy and paste a file from one folder to another.

Gene

On 6/17/2022 4:49 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Monte Single

All the files  I send wiwth dropbax,  I do it by using yee old “copy and paste” in the dropbox application on my pc, not on the web.

I know, it sounds too easy,  but copy and paste it is.

…and don’t forget delete when things get tight on these free accounts.

[...]

Okay, maybe what happened is that the files didn't show up in the desktop dropbox folder?  I don't know.  Maybe I'm just confused about the Dropbox app and Dropbox folder.

On 6/17/2022 1:45 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

John Holcomb II

Ok so reading thru this thread, to get your friends files, its easy…

Just copy the files to whatever folder you want in the normal way.

John

Gene

You said, as I understand it, that the files are in a shared folder.  If you open the desktop app, you should see all your folders, just as though you were inn File Explorer.  Did the person who is sharing the folder share it properly?  I haven't done this except once, that is, gotten a shared folder from someone and as I recall, I received an e-mail message that I had to do something in response to to see the shared folder.  Others may give the procedure but I wonder if the folder was shared properly and if you did whatever is necessary to have it appear.

Gene

On 6/17/2022 1:45 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

If you type dropbox in the start menu and hit enter to open it, it’ll open to your dropbox folder where everything is .

From there you can find your shared folder.

Hit enter to open  it.

Find the files, and copy and paste.

Or cut and paste if your friend doesn’t wat them there anymore.

John

On 6/17/2022 1:45 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

It may be that I didn't have to do anything in response to the e-mail.  Others will, I hope comment.  It may be that the shared folder appeared in my Dropbox desktop app when it was shared.

Gene

On 6/17/2022 1:45 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Sharon, if they show on the web site, they should also show on your pc.

On 6/17/2022 1:45 PM, Gene wrote:
That is my guess.  When I have a shared folder, I see every file in the folder in my Dropbox application when I am in that folder.

Gene

On 6/17/2022 2:42 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
Are you saying that I might be able to go to the Dropbox website, find my shared folder in my account, and use ctrl plus c on a file, then ctrl plus v where I want it on a drive on my laptop?

Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids? Â Visit
www.CochlearAmericas.com

On Jun 17, 2022, at 12:49 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

 I would think you could copy them to the clip board and paste them where you want them but I haven't worked with shared folders for so long, I can't be sure that will work.  If it doesn't, I have other suggestions.

Gene

On 6/17/2022 1:12 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
No, my friend put some files into our shared folder. Â She did not send a link. Â I found the files, but don't know how to download them to my laptop the accessible way.

Thanks again,

Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids? Â Visit
www.CochlearAmericas.com

On Jun 15, 2022, at 11:48 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

 Do you mean if you are sharing a folder or if someone sends you a link?

Gene

On 6/15/2022 9:06 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
Hi,

I haven't kept up with the dropbox subjects, so if I'm asking for a repeat, I apologize, and you are welcome to reply privately. So, in Windows 10 or 11, is there still an accessible way to download shared files from dropbox?  If so, how?

Thanks,

.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#106615) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

If you want to view a list of resources and freeware, visit the Tech Talk Wiki:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/wiki/List-of-resources-and-freeware

You can also view/download the list from the "files" section:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/files

To review a list of posting guidelines, go to:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/wiki/Posting-Guidelines

To view the list archives, go to:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/topics

Note that the Wiki and list archives are public so can be viewed by anyone without the need to login with a password. The "files" section cannot be made public so can only be accessed by members and requires you to login.

To join this group, send an email to:
TechTalk+subscribe@groups.io

To send a message to this group, send the message to:
main@TechTalk.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web),send an email to:
TechTalk+nomail@groups.io

To receive message digests instead of individual messages send an email to:
TechTalk+digest@groups.io

To receive individual messages instead of digests, send an email to:
TechTalk+single@groups.io

If you want to discuss anything non-tech related, please move the conversation to our chat subgroup.

To join the chat subgroup, send a message to:
TechTalkChat+subscribe@groups.io

To message the chat subgroup:
TechTalkChat@groups.io

                 John

john s

You might have to open the dropbox folders from the systray icon.

At 08:19 PM 6/19/2022, John Holcomb II, wrote:

If you type dropbox in the start menu and hit enter to open it, it’ll open to your dropbox folder where everything is .

From there you can find your shared folder.

On 6/17/2022 1:45 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

If Dropbox isn't on your desktop, you may want to do that,  But when you install the app, it places a Dropbox icon on the desktop by default.  If you press enter on it, wait a little while and then press enter again if the interface showing folders and files doesn't open.  If Dropbox isn't running, the first time you press enter on it, Dropbox starts the program which may take perhaps half a minute or longer.  Then when the program is ready, pressing enter on the icon again opens the folder.

Gene

On 6/19/2022 10:04 PM, john s wrote:
You might have to open the dropbox folders from the systray icon.

At 08:19 PM 6/19/2022, John Holcomb II, wrote:

If you type dropbox in the start menu and hit enter to open it, it’ll open to your dropbox folder where everything is .

From there you can find your shared folder.