Topics

Accessible free PC driver upgrade software

Fanus

Hello list
Can someone please recommend a package. I googled but the results show
packages which one must pay to download. I do not mind to pay if I am sure
my USB problem will be solved.
Regards
Fanus

Bharat

You may be able to find a very accessible driver software DVD as well as an online installation utility on the BHP site. I would request you to be very careful while proceeding with this utility since it tends to install a lot of other unwanted things as well.

On 22 October 2020 7:20:03 pm "Fanus" <buys.fanus@...> wrote:

Hello list
Can someone please recommend a package. I googled but the results show
packages which one must pay to download. I do not mind to pay if I am sure
my USB problem will be solved.
Regards
Fanus

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Third-party driver updaters are to be avoided like the plague.  There are only three safe sources of driver updates, and "safe" does not mean there may not be an occasional problem, just that your machine will not have any likelihood of getting something you really don't want like malware, adware, viruses, etc.:

1. Windows Update

2. Your computer manufacturer's support pages, driver's and downloads section, or driver updater software they supply, e.g., HP Support Assistant, Toshiba Service Station, and similar.

3. A specific component in your computer's manufacturer, on its support pages or via its driver updater software, e.g., Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

Fanus

Hello Brian

Thanks, I hear what you say. The strange thing is that my PC says it wants to upgrade and then it says its going to restart but after the restart it says it could not finish the update, please turn off the pc while the update is cancelled. I am connected to the pc via an ethernet cable to my modem, so internet is available, so I do not know what the problem might be. I was hoping that if the pc could update it would solve my USB problem.

Regards

Fanus

Third-party driver updaters are to be avoided like the plague.  There are only three safe sources of driver updates, and "safe" does not mean there may not be an occasional problem, just that your machine will not have any likelihood of getting something you really don't want like malware, adware, viruses, etc.:

1. Windows Update

2. Your computer manufacturer's support pages, driver's and downloads section, or driver updater software they supply, e.g., HP Support Assistant, Toshiba Service Station, and similar.

3. A specific component in your computer's manufacturer, on its support pages or via its driver updater software, e.g., Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Fanus,

           The issue you're having sometimes occurs, and no one ever really knows why (and I'm sure the actual underlying causes are myriad).  What I suggest is following these instructions: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

            And if you want to be "very strict" with your machine during that process, make sure it's not connected to the internet.  When you have the ISO file you already have all of the essential components needed to do the repair install or feature update.  If there are additional updates that were put in place after Microsoft issued the ISO file then those will be applied via the normal Windows Update process after you again establish internet connectivity.

Fanus

Hello Brian

Thanks so much. The link in the document  rerouted me to the latest windows 10 media creation tool but I suppose that is ok to install that following the directions in the document you gave. I suppose there would then not be a repair option because its the latest version so I shall have to install it from the iso file but I shall see what happens.