Topics

Admin. A possible change to list settings

Gene

From the owner:

I have had a request to make a change in list settings. This doesn't affect what members see if they receive e-mails from the list. But if someone sends a message containing an e-mail address, someone searching the archives or reading messages in their browser on the site now wouldn't see it. For example, if someone sent the e-mail address of a Braille Repair service, that message wouldn't be seen in the archives or when reading mail on the web site instead of in an e-mail program.

this sounds like a reasonable change to make. I know a small number of people read messages using the browser interface and from time to time, someone may search for information and see archived messages.

If anyone has any objection to this change, let me know at gsasner@....
I can only think of one instance where this might be objected to. Now and then, someone sends a message asking if anyone knows the e-mail address of someone a member is trying to contact who is a person, not a business. While I would expect such information to rarely, if ever, come up if someone is searching the archives for a topic, it is the only case where I can see that anyone might object. But I want to give people a chance to comment in case they do object or if I haven't thought of something that they think should be considered.

the e-mail address of the sender of the message would still be hidden, as it is now.

Gene

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 03:57 PM, Gene wrote:
Now and then, someone sends a message asking if anyone knows the e-mail address of someone a member is trying to contact who is a person, not a business.
-
And, ideally, that sort of reply should occur in private anyway.  While I'm willing to share e-mail addresses of people I know with people I know, and where I'm as certain as can be that no objections would be raised, I'd never post same on a public list.

If we fix the "Reply to Sender" not showing at the bottom of TechTalk messages, that will be much, much easier to do, too.

Two days ago, I explained a requested change to list settings. I asked for comments about this change. I've received none and I shall assume that there are no objections. I have made the requested change. You can learn about this change by reading the quoted message below this one.

If anyone objects and didn't notify me or didn't see the original message, you may do so now, but at this time, it appears there are no objections or almost none. I believe this change is adventageous.

I have had a request to make a change in list settings. This doesn't affect
what members see if they receive e-mails from the list. But if someone
sends a message containing an e-mail address, someone searching the archives
or reading messages in their browser on the site now wouldn't see it. For
example, if someone sent the e-mail address of a Braille Repair service,
that address wouldn't be seen in the archives or when reading mail on the
[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

The problem with this, now that I read it again is that if somebody wants to recommend a product or service and puts the email address in the message, it won't be seen. My email address will not be seen in my tagline. I have it there for a specific reason. I want people to contact me if they need training. How can they do that if the email address doesn't show?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

That's an advantage of making the change I made. This setting has nothing to do with addresses being seen inn the to line in the web interface. They aren't shown. The setting I changed, before I changed it, wouldn't have allowed your address to be seen in the tag line. With the change the address will be seen.

The problem with this, now that I read it again is that if somebody
wants to recommend a product or service and puts the email address in
the message, it won't be seen. My email address will not be seen in my
tagline. I have it there for a specific reason. I want people to
contact me if they need training. How can they do that if the email
address doesn't show?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

And as someone who reads and posts pretty much exclusively from the web interface, I can confirm that the settings switch is complete, and that e-mail addresses included anywhere in a message body itself, including as part of a signature line, are now visible if the person reading is logged in to Groups.io and is a member of the group whose messages they're reading.