From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner

Marie

Thanks!

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner

Victor

Hi Jean:

Thank you for your message about the purpose of this list. I hope we can stick to accessibility and technology related issues here as this is why I joined this list in the first place.

Thanks,

Victor

On Oct 19, 2020, at 2:02 PM, Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:

Thanks!

-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 12:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner

Leedy Diane Bomar

Diane Bomar

On Oct 19, 2020, at 13:26, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I should add that I would have locked the topic sooner but I wasn't following the list for a few hours.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner

So, because people cannot stay on topic, I am now unable to reply to messages in that thread that were on topic? Somehow that doesn't seem fair to me the original poster. I have tried to reply and the mail bounces back. How can I communicate with others who were writing good responses to my thread? I have deleted the inappropriate responses that should have been put into another thread, or deleted from the list, and the individuals who cannot stay on topic should be reprimanded. Why is the author of the thread being penalized for the misdeeds of others?

Leedy Diane Bomar

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner

Gene

there is no way to know on a list with a large number of members where a thread will go. {People read threads at different times and who knows what sort of responses and arguments might have developed even if I had just told people to stay on topic. I see it all the time. A list owner may tell people to stay on topic or try to control a potentially devisive thread and a lot of people respond anyway, not because they are being willfully disobedient, but because they haven't read all the messages in the thread yet and are replying as they go. Who knows how many people will reply to how many messages before they finally see my message. Who knows hours later, how many other people will do the same thing. At some point, the job of a list owner is to stop off topic and potentially divisive posts.

I said that anyone who wants may carry on the discussion on the chat list. A lot of list members don't join associated chat lists, but that is the best that can be done.

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

I post infrequently, and will start threads even less often, now. I feel like unsubscribing to all lists, right now! How do you suggest that I reinstate my thread? There was some good discussion on the topic I wanted answers and support for. Moderators can easily delete messages without locking a thread. I feel very kicked in the face! Why bother trying to participate with others, be part of any group, when the "leader" just cuts off anything you might come out of your shell long enough to share! I live a very independent, though reclusive, life, and your actions, though unintentional, only encourage me to cut myself off from the world even more!

Diane Bomar

-----Original Message----- From: Leedy Diane Bomar

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

I don't know who started the thread and it doesn't matter. If you don't see the logic of what I did and that it isn't personal, I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you wanted to discuss. If you tell me what it is, I'll let you know if I think it will start a divisive and largely off topic thread if you introdeuce it again.

I haven't looked into whether a list owner can moderate just one thread, though I don't recall any such setting. A llist owner can moderate specific members requiring approval for all their messages but as far as I know, a list owner can't pick a specific thread and say that all messages to that specific thread will be moderated. That being the case, if a thread develops that leads to a lot of possibly divisive comments and possibly divisive arguments, the thread should be stopped. Also, if a thread results in a lot of such traffic, many people will not want to have all this unwanted mail. While people can mute topics, they may not be around when the thread is in progress or they may not know how to mute threads. its just bad for a list for a list owner not to exert control for the order and peace of the list. I seldom do so or have to do so because the list is generally very well behaved, with people following the rules regarding staying reasonably on topic and civility. I may have blocked perhaps two threads, maybe three, since I've been owner and that has been for a number of years.

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

I should add that I'll check to see if such a setting is available. I've never looked. If so, that raises interesting possibilities.

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
topics

[...]

I did some checking and I see that there is a moderate topic offered by Groups.io. Therefore, if you want to send a message on whatever you wanted to discuss, I'll allow it and moderate the topic if it leads to problems.

If a topic results in too many divisive or unreasonably off topic posts, I may moderate it because it might be too unwieldy to try to moderate a topic where perhaps fifty messages come in while I'm asleep or not monitoring the list for some reason. If a thread reaches the point where it is generating a lot of divisive posts and/or off topic posts, usually the important on topic posts have already reached the list.

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
topics

[...]

I meant to say that if a topic results in too many off topic or divisive posts, I may lock it because it may be unwieldy to moderate if fifty messages come in while I am asleep or am not monitoring the list for some reason.