Topics

another phone for the blind

Monte Single

Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.

I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.

It is based on a Samsung phone.

Please have a look.

…and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/

Gerald Levy

This article is vague.  Is Real SAM a specialized smart phone for the blind that is ready to use right out of the box?  Does it have a tactile keypad?  Or is it an app that must be installed on a standard Samsung touchpad smart phone?  And where do you buy it?  There is no information about purchasing Real SAM in this article.

Gerald

On 7/30/2020 6:13 AM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.

I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.

It is based on a Samsung phone.

Please have a look.

…and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

john s

Monte, I didn't see a price for this phone.

At 06:13 AM 7/30/2020, Monte Single, wrote:
Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.
I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.
It is based on a Samsung phone.
Please have a look.
…and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/

                 John

Gene

We'll see what we learn over time. The way information is written, it sounds like everything is programmed in and you can't add apps or abilities. As written, it seems that That must be done by the manufacturer. We'll see.

Those who don't want to learn a touch screen or who are going blind and who are in transition might want to use such a phone. I doubt that skilled users of regular smart phones would be content with what looks like its restrictions.

And you didn't see a price because there isn't one. Can you find the price somewhere on the site? Maybe. but none of the collapsed buttons work on the site. I love it when companies who sell products to blind people have a site that isn't fully accessible. One of those buttons might open something you could use to find a ;page that had pricing. But you can't expand the buttons.

.Gene

Monte, I didn't see a price for this phone.

At 06:13 AM 7/30/2020, Monte Single, wrote:
Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.
I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.
It is based on a Samsung phone.
Please have a look.
and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/

John

Loy

After listening to the demo. It seems that I can do most of the things this phone does with my IPhone using SIRI and or Voice Control. a

Monte, I didn't see a price for this phone.

At 06:13 AM 7/30/2020, Monte Single, wrote:
Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.
I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.
It is based on a Samsung phone.
Please have a look.
and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/

John

Monte Single

I know, no price it just said going on sale in the u s in October.

In some ways it sounds  good, I’m guessing the price will be around 400 u s dollars.  Hoping I’m wrong.

Monte, I didn't see a price for this phone.

At 06:13 AM 7/30/2020, Monte Single, wrote:

Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.
I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.
It is based on a Samsung phone.
Please have a look.
…and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/

                 John

Monte Single

Yes,  I’m looking for answersalso.

This article is vague.  Is Real SAM a specialized smart phone for the blind that is ready to use right out of the box?  Does it have a tactile keypad?  Or is it an app that must be installed on a standard Samsung touchpad smart phone?  And where do you buy it?  There is no information about purchasing Real SAM in this article.

Gerald

On 7/30/2020 6:13 AM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.

I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.

It is based on a Samsung phone.

Please have a look.

…and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

http://www.re

alsam.us/meet-realsam/

Pamela Dominguez

In that case, what is the sense of the buttons? Phew! Drives you crazy! Pam.

Monte, I didn't see a price for this phone.

At 06:13 AM 7/30/2020, Monte Single, wrote:
Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.
I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.
It is based on a Samsung phone.
Please have a look.
and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/

John

https://www.avg.com

Gene

The buttons do things, presumably, if sighted people use them. One of them appears to open a menu.

In that case, what is the sense of the buttons? Phew! Drives you crazy!
Pam.

Monte, I didn't see a price for this phone.

At 06:13 AM 7/30/2020, Monte Single, wrote:
Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.
I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.
It is based on a Samsung phone.
Please have a look.
and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/

John

https://www.avg.com

Gerald Levy

I see one problem with this phone that nobody else has probably thought of: the name .  "RealSAM" sounds suspiciously like "SAMNet", which is a Serotek product, and if Serotek discover that another company is using a name very similar to the name of one of its own products, it might decide to sue them on the grounds of trademark or copyright infringement.  Remember when Freedom Scientific sued Serotek for using the name "Freedom Box" for its screen reader, because it would mislead consumers into thinking that it was a Freedom Scientific product?  Rather than go through costly litigation, Serotek changed the name of its screen reader to System Access, and in the process, garnered a lot of free publicity for itself.  Now Serotek has the opportunity to do the same thing to the company behind the Real SAM, which probably doesn't even know Serotek exists.  I hate to say it, but the Real SAM sounds a lot like the ill-fated and overpriced Smart Vision phone, which is no longer being made after being on the market barely more than a year.

Gerald

-----Original Message----- From: Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:27 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 7:32 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

.----Original Message----- From: john s
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:32 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Colonel Monte wrote:

"Below is a link to another phone for the blind.

I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.

It is based on a Samsung phone.

Please have a look.

.and then express yourself."

I hope there's room left at the garrison. Why? I may need to dodge many
tasers, rubber bullets, and a few A K47's and M16's. No, I don't have a
bulletproof vest, too broke to grab one, selah!!

Without looking too hard, I have a few questions already: What is the
Samsung Core Prime? It's got to be an ancient toy Samsung sold eons back.
Ok, what OS does the Core Prime run on? RealSAM won't be sammy enough for
me that's for sure. I won't throw a RED FARTHING at it and won't even
accept it as a free gift.

If I can find a toy in the mainstream that FITS SNUGLY IN MY HANDS and helps
me GET MY WORK done, any specialized toy for the blind WILL NOT KISS my
quarter or see my signed cheque. It's another D.O.A. I think I'll do well
just running gingerly in my wee, small space whilst I continue to tinker
with technology in the mainstream where I can save myself from a few
haunting headaches!

All that said, RealSAM may be truly sammy for someone else. As an example,
I was SLIGHTLY EXCITED when I heard and read about the iPhone SE2020. I
jumped up a bit, alas, here's an iPhone I can play ball with I thought.
Previously, I FELL OUT OF LOVE with the iPhone because it didn't FIT SNUGLY
IN MY SILLY TINKERING HANDS! Then I checked the battery --- a puny 1,800mAh
at $400! What? In My Shiny Android World, such a toy will have at least
3,000-plus mAh battery power. So, goodbye SE2020, I'll stick with my
terrain.

Some pundits tell me that Apple's technology manages batteries better than
My Shiny Android. May be so, but for someone like me who LEAVES HIS TOYS on
24 hours a day, never turning them off for any reason known or unknown, and
only having to recharge every two days sometimes three, hmm, it is well with
my soul!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Well, Brother Gerald, RealSAM is still under development; what we've read
is, in my view, analogous to the usual "COMING SOON" announcement we are
familiar with.

But, don't worry too much, it'll be another D.O.A. See, we don't even know
what country it will come out of. Possibly the I.N.C. in the name is to
placate us Americans. After all, we're the ONLY COUNTRY in the world with
such corporate registration style and system. Also, everyone needs the
green back, IN GOD WE TRUST! So, brother, STASH UP SEVERAL for me, when I
make it to the Big Apple, I'll remember to stop by to pick 'em up! Some
sweet day, hopefully before I can't type any more 'cause I'm convalescing in
my casket en route to my space in the landfill, the CONSTANT MILKING OF THE
BLIND will come to a good end.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Laz

I finally visited the provided link and it sounds like it's an
application, not a physical device.

I was surprised to see a few typos though and no way to actually
identify who set this site up.

As Gerald likes to say, buyer beware.

Stya well,

laz

On 7/30/20, Gerald Levy via groups.io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

This article is vague. Is Real SAM a specialized smart phone for the
blind that is ready to use right out of the box? Does it have a tactile
keypad? Or is it an app that must be installed on a standard Samsung
touchpad smart phone? And where do you buy it? There is no information
about purchasing Real SAM in this article.

Gerald

On 7/30/2020 6:13 AM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.

I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.

It is based on a Samsung phone.

Please have a look.

…and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte
http://www.re <http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/>
alsam.us/meet-realsam/ <http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/>

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121

Well, RealSAM, Inc. may not even be a U.S.-based company. So, Serotek WILL
BE OUT OF LUCK should it elect to press charges of any kind. It will be
cost prohibitive.

But, if Serotek HAS A PRESENCE in the country from which RealSAM, Inc.
hails, may be it'll have a point! But for now, let's LEAVE THE LIGHTS ON
and keep watching the landscape!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

It’s a physical device. I did a Google search for more information.

The RNIB article compares it to having something like The Echo, the Google assistant, and so on. While there are blind people who would find it useful to avoid touch screens and have a device that works like an assistant and is portable, I don't think it will come anywhere near replacing a smart phone for those who are skilled or reasonabbly skilled in using it.

[...]

I found more information about RealSAM, and it sounds like they signed a contract with the Library of Congress last year to develop the next generation Talking Book player.  They are based in Melbourne, Australia, and their US office is located in Washington, DC, presumably near the LOC.  So it sounds like the RealSAM may be a specialized smart phone that could alsobe double as a Talking Book player that would use speech commands:

awarded contract to develop for the Library of Congress

Washington DC, USA – 14 NOV 2019 Melbourne based AI developer RealSAM has been awarded a contract, up to AUS$2.9M by the Library of Congress to develop the next generation of audio book readers based in AI for people who are blind or have low vision.

The Library of Congress division – The National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled provides audio books for over 400,000 Americans through its existing technology of cartridge based players and millions more via its smartphone app. This system, however, is slow and expensive to run, and the technology is reaching the end of its life.

RealSAM is leading the world with its cloud based Artificial Intelligence engine that pairs with an android phone to provide a completely voice operated solution for finding, then streaming books. From the consumer’s point of view, it’s as easy as saying “Find me books about James Bond” to get a list of 007 books that can then be streamed.

10 year old RealSAM took a leap of faith and moved its Head of Business Development, Brendan Lewis, to the USA with his family. Three months later the investment paid off with the contract win. RealSAM also exports to the UK and is now fielding interest from around the world. Around 2.3% of the population suffers from low vision and they have found major success in an area where AI is being used for good, and doing good is good business!

RealSAM is a 100% owned subsidiary of Melbourne Artificial Intelligence developer Real Thing Entertainment. RealSAM provides a friendly voice operated assistant, media player & phone – designed for people with blindness or low vision. It operates in Australia, the UK and now the USA.

Gerald

On 7/30/20, Gerald Levy via groups.io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:
This article is vague.  Is Real SAM a specialized smart phone for the
blind that is ready to use right out of the box?  Does it have a tactile
keypad?  Or is it an app that must be installed on a standard Samsung
touchpad smart phone?  And where do you buy it? There is no information
about purchasing Real SAM in this article.

Gerald

On 7/30/2020 6:13 AM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Olusegun,

Below is a link to another phone for the blind.

I found it first in a current item on the latest Top Tech Tidbits.

It is based on a Samsung phone.

Please have a look.

…and then express yourself.

Thanks,

Monte

http://www.re <http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/>

alsam.us/meet-realsam/ <http://www.realsam.us/meet-realsam/>

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Yeah definitely sounds like misleading software for sure. We'll just have to see what comes out of it.

On Jul 30, 2020, at 12:36 PM, Laz <laz@...> wrote:

[...]

If you read my previous message, it sounds to me like the RealSAM is a physical device, not a software app.  This is my take. RealSAM signed a contract last year with the Library of Congress to develop the next generation Talking Book player based on their AI speech recognition technology.  And so they established an office in Washington, DC for this purpose.  But maybe somebody at the company had the bright idea to incorporate this technology into a standard Samsung Galaxy phone and market it as a specialized phone for blind consumers.  I don't think RealSAM makes smart phones itself, so they figured it would be more cost effective to redesign a standard Samsung Android Galaxy around its proprietary technology.  It does not sound like they have a US distributor yet for this product, which is why its anticipated launch date is not until October.  Perhaps Laz might be interested in selling this phone if it becomes a reality.  To me, the fact that they signed a contract with the LOC makes them legit.

Gerald

On 7/30/2020 3:45 PM, joseph hudson wrote:
[...]

Gerald I read your message and I read the article, so and it's still a little confusing. So just gonna wait and see what I hear from YouTube and other areas.
joseph hudson

Email FaceTime and iMessage
jhud7789@...

Office phone/what's up messenger

254-300-7667

Emergency sell

254-813-2461

https://twitter.com/josephhudson89

On Jul 30, 2020, at 3:02 PM, Gerald Levy via groups.io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Ms. E.M. Kirtley <ekirtley@...>

The BlindShell classic is the same. The fact that you can't add other app.s to it is why I haven't purchased one. The BSC unable to read nls books, but it appears this one might. Interesting.

Ms. Kirtley