Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 4:12 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Audio Book Apps

        Hi Group:

I wasn't sure where to post this question so thought I would start
here.  I have been learning about different ways to read audio books and
I have been using BARD for years.  I started with Braille and then went
to audio books through the National Library service.  Lately, I have
been hearing that there are other services out there and have checked
some out and wanted to get your feedback.  I know Audible is very good
but I found one a bit cheaper and it seems a lot like Audible.  This app
I put on my phone is called Scribd.  It's $10 per month.  Have any of
you ever used this app and if so, what did you think?  I have noticed
that you can get any book you want where sometimes on BARD you can't get
it.  I like the idea of having books on my phone and then when I go
somewhere, I don't have to carry the digital player.  I heard that the
Bard app uses a lot of battery while reading books and it also seems
hard to use.  I haven't noticed Scribd using a lot of battery yet.  As I
said before, I like the convenience of getting mostly any book you
choose and having it at my finger tips.  The other thing I'm thinking
about is BARD is free.  I look forward to hearing your responses and if
there is any pros and cons you can think of.  Thank you in advance.

Shelly

Gene

I forgot to include the link:

I haven’t used this service and I know little about it but it seems worth looking into.

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 4:12 AM

[...]

John Holcomb II

BARD doesn’t use  much battery from what I remember.

John

I haven’t used this service and I know little about it but it seems worth looking into.

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 4:12 AM

[...]

Shelly Kane

Gene:

Is this  a free service and can you put it on your iPhone?  I am also looking into overdrive and that's through the public library system.  Have any of you ever used that?  If so, how accessible is it?

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 4:12 AM

[...]

I haven’t looked at the service much. I gave the link so those interested can learn about it.  While I don’t use it myself, I was interested in it because it has, from what I can tell, a lot of books on sale that change over time and there is no monthly charge, as I recall.  I haven’t looked at the site for a good while but if I were going to subscribe to such a service, I would want to learn more about this one.

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 6:25 PM

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 4:12 AM

[...]

Thank you for sharing.  I'm not interested in a service where you have to actually purchase the books.  It's nice not to have a monthly charge but you are still spending money on books.  The service I have is a monthly charge but I can read the book and then delete it.  I only read books once so I don't think the service you were talking about would be for me but thank you anyway.

Shelly

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 6:25 PM

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 4:12 AM

[...]

Abbie Taylor

I've never used Scribe or Overdrive, but I use Audible, BARD, and Bookshare. Audible costs a little more than Scrib for a subscription, but you get one credit for a free book each month.

I've never had issues with BARD eating up battery life on my iPhone, but that's probably because I lock the phone when listening to a book. I use Voice Dream Reader for Bookshare books, and it will also read books in other file types such as pdf and epub. The downside, of course, is that you don't get human narrators, but you can purchase natural-sounding voices, and you get one free voice when you buy the software. I hope that helps.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Monte Single

Hi Abby,

I have had an audible subscription for some years;  I pay  about 15 dollars a month for 1 credit.

Do you pay for 1 book a month and get another  book free each month?

I've never used Scribe or Overdrive, but I use Audible, BARD, and Bookshare. Audible costs a little more than Scrib for a subscription, but you get one credit for a free book each month.

I've never had issues with BARD eating up battery life on my iPhone, but that's probably because I lock the phone when listening to a book. I use Voice Dream Reader for Bookshare books, and it will also read books in other file types such as pdf and epub. The downside, of course, is that you don't get human narrators, but you can purchase natural-sounding voices, and you get one free voice when you buy the software. I hope that helps.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Shelly Kane

Abbie:

Thank you so much for explaining things to me.  I know that BARD has a lot of books but with this other app on my phone, I have noticed books that BARD doesn't have.  I didn't want to waste my money on another book app because I had BARD but I see a lot of people have several services for books.  I really like how this app is set up.  I figured I would use BARD when I'm home but when I'm out and about, I would use Scribd or whatever else I chose.  Glad that I'm not the only one who is going with another book service.  You have answered my question.  Have a great weekend.

Shelly

On 7/2/2021 4:59 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:
I've never used Scribe or Overdrive, but I use Audible, BARD, and Bookshare. Audible costs a little more than Scrib for a subscription, but you get one credit for a free book each month.

I've never had issues with BARD eating up battery life on my iPhone, but that's probably because I lock the phone when listening to a book. I use Voice Dream Reader for Bookshare books, and it will also read books in other file types such as pdf and epub. The downside, of course, is that you don't get human narrators, but you can purchase natural-sounding voices, and you get one free voice when you buy the software. I hope that helps.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Abbie Taylor

Hi, Monte, I only get one free book with my $15 payment to Audible. But if I want, I can buy others at a discounted price. I don't do this often, though. Instead, if I see a book I want, I add it to my wish list and buy it when my credit comes out, usually about the 20th of the month. I hope that answers your question.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Monte Single

OK.

Hi, Monte, I only get one free book with my $15 payment to Audible. But if I want, I can buy others at a discounted price. I don't do this often, though. Instead, if I see a book I want, I add it to my wish list and buy it when my credit comes out, usually about the 20th of the month. I hope that answers your question.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

chris judge

Having an audible membership also entitles you to some really decent sales. I must have purchased 25 books last week during the two for one sale.

Chris Judge

Hi, Monte, I only get one free book with my $15 payment to Audible. But if I want, I can buy others at a discounted price. I don't do this often, though. Instead, if I see a book I want, I add it to my wish list and buy it when my credit comes out, usually about the 20th of the month. I hope that answers your question.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Sharon S

Hi, another source for audio books is all you can books:

http://www.allyoucanbooks.com/

This is also a service that you pay for monthly. I have been using it for a couple of months now. You can try it for 30 days free and you get to download as many books as you like. Once you download a book you can keep it even after you leave the service.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

Hi Group:

http://www.allyoucanbooks.com/ <http://www.allyoucanbooks.com/>

This is also a service that you pay for monthly. I have been using it for a couple of months now. You can try it for 30 days free and you get to download as many books as you like. Once you download a book you can keep it even after you leave the service.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

JAWS Certified, 2021 <https://www.freedomscientific.com/Training/Certification>

--