Audio Eye no help

Loy

Hi list,
I went on line to try to place an order from Cracker Barrel for pickup on Thanksgiving. This Audio Eye toolbar keeps popping up and I can't  navigate with JAWS because the tool bar is in the way and I can't make it close.  And I don't know how the toolbar is to be used. Has anyone used Audio Eye with success?

Sam Taylor

It would be helpful if you included a web address so that we could take a look for you.

On 24/11/2021 10:07 am, Loy wrote:
Hi list,
I went on line to try to place an order from Cracker Barrel for pickup on Thanksgiving. This Audio Eye toolbar keeps popping up and I can't  navigate with JAWS because the tool bar is in the way and I can't make it close.  And I don't know how the toolbar is to be used. Has anyone used Audio Eye with success?

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Loy,

Go to the Toolbar in whatever browser you're using and see if Audio Eye is on the Toolbar, and if it's checked try pressing enter to see if that'll turn it off.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 4:07 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Audio Eye no help

Hi list,

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Loy,

Do a search for how to turn off the Audio Eye toolbar and you'll find directions on how to do it.

Hi list,

Loy

it was  crackerbarreltogo.com

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Audio Eye no help

It would be helpful if you included a web address so that we could take a look for you.

Hi list,

Gene

It isn’t a tool bar in the browser.  Its  one of these ridiculous web page add-ons on the web page itself, supposedly to increase accessibility.  I’m not saying that because I’ve visited the page yet, I’m saying that because it matches the descriptions I’ve seen of other such web page add-ons, though that isn’t the technically correct term.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 6:14 PM

Hi Loy,

Go to the Toolbar in whatever browser you're using and see if Audio Eye is on the Toolbar, and if it's checked try pressing enter to see if that'll turn it off.

Hi list,

Gene

I saw nothing about Audio Eye.  I was using Firefox.  What browser are you using and what does the whatever it is do?  Does it force you to listen to audio aside from what your screen-reader [says?

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 6:45 PM

Hi list,

Gene

I just  used Chrome with the same results, nothing on the ;page about Audio Eye and no audio other than my screen-reader.

I had thought you were dealing with an add-on designed to make the page more accessible.  those add-ons usually cause lots of problems.  But since I don’t see or experience anything, at this point, I don’t know what you are seeing, just where, or if others will generally see it.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 7:23 PM

I saw nothing about Audio Eye.  I was using Firefox.  What browser are you using and what does the whatever it is do?  Does it force you to listen to audio aside from what your screen-reader [says?

Gene

Hi list,

Gene

See this page.  Cracker Barrel does use Audio Eye but it doesn’t run when I go to the site.  Nor is there anything accessible as the page appears to me to start it.
I’ll be curious what others report.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 7:28 PM

I just  used Chrome with the same results, nothing on the ;page about Audio Eye and no audio other than my screen-reader.

I had thought you were dealing with an add-on designed to make the page more accessible.  those add-ons usually cause lots of problems.  But since I don’t see or experience anything, at this point, I don’t know what you are seeing, just where, or if others will generally see it.

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 7:23 PM

Gene

Hi list,

Marda

I think the technical term is accessibility overlay and if it's one of those they're ridiculous.  some of these companies tell website owners that they can insert a line of code into their websites that will make them completely ADA accessible in 48 hours and things like that and the sites are worse than they were before.

Marda

On 11/23/2021 6:57 PM, Gene wrote:
It isn’t a tool bar in the browser.  Its  one of these ridiculous web page add-ons on the web page itself, supposedly to increase accessibility.  I’m not saying that because I’ve visited the page yet, I’m saying that because it matches the descriptions I’ve seen of other such web page add-ons, though that isn’t the technically correct term.

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 6:14 PM

Hi Loy,

Hi list,

Loy

I was using Chrome, and the Jaws would tell me that Audio toolbar was there It said I could hit escape to close the toolbar, but that did not work I just gave up. I won't try their site again..

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 8:23 PM

Gene

Hi list,

Gene

I wonder if NVDA can’t see what you saw.  I am using NVDA and I didn’t see a tool bar nor did the site behave any differently than it would have if there were none.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 7:48 PM

I was using Chrome, and the Jaws would tell me that Audio toolbar was there It said I could hit escape to close the toolbar, but that did not work I just gave up. I won't try their site again..

Gene

Hi list,

Marda

I am using JAWS and got the toolbar and the accessibility statement and all that but couldn't access the menu.  It is a frustrating site.

Marda

On 11/23/2021 7:51 PM, Gene wrote:
I wonder if NVDA can’t see what you saw.  I am using NVDA and I didn’t see a tool bar nor did the site behave any differently than it would have if there were none.

Gene

Gene

Hi list,

Gene

I’m using Windows 7 and  I don’t know if that would matter.  I would think it would be the browser that interacts with the site.  At any rate, it will be interesting to see if others comment.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 8:05 PM

I am using JAWS and got the toolbar and the accessibility statement and all that but couldn't access the menu.  It is a frustrating site.

Marda

Gene

Gene

Hi list,

Marda

I am using windows 10 and jaws and tried with google chrome and firefox and edge.  Sometimes I could get to the toolbar and read items but couldn't get to the menu.  I did find the audio eye phone number to call the help desk.

Marda

On 11/23/2021 8:08 PM, Gene wrote:
I’m using Windows 7 and  I don’t know if that would matter.  I would think it would be the browser that interacts with the site.  At any rate, it will be interesting to see if others comment.

Gene

Marda

Gene

Gene

Hi list,

Loy

Hi Gene,
I tried it with NVDA and here is what NVDA red at the top of the page.
This website is AudioEye enabled and is being optimized for accessibility. To open the AudioEye Toolbar, press shift + =. The toolbar contains the following
The AudioEye Help Desk to report accessibility and usability related issues.
The AudioEye Certification Statement to explain the ongoing web accessibility and usability enhancements for this website.
The Player tool to listen to this site read aloud. The Player is not intended as a substitute for your screen reader.

With JAWS the toolbar was present and would not close and get out of the way for me.

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 8:51 PM

Gene

I saw nothing about Audio Eye.  I was using Firebox.  What browser are you using and what does the whatever it is do?  Does it force you to listen to audio aside from what your screen-reader [says?

Gene

it was  crackerbarreltogo.comma

Hi list,

Marda

I got that same information with jaws that you got with NVDA.  But then I couldn't access anything.

Marda

On 11/23/2021 8:18 PM, Loy wrote:

Hi Gene,
This website is AudioEye enabled and is being optimized for accessibility. To open the AudioEye Toolbar, press shift + =. The toolbar contains the following
The AudioEye Certification Statement to explain the ongoing web accessibility and usability enhancements for this website.
The Player tool to listen to this site read aloud. The Player is not intended as a substitute for your screen reader.

With JAWS the toolbar was present and would not close and get out of the way for me.

Gene

I saw nothing about Audio Eye.  I was using Firebox.  What browser are you using and what does the whatever it is do?  Does it force you to listen to audio aside from what your screen-reader [says?

Gene

Hi list,

Gene

Perhaps for some reason, Windows 10 orr 8 is necessary.  One of these days, when I get around to getting a Windows 10 machine, I’ll look at the site.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 8:18 PM

Hi Gene,

Gene

Gene

Hi list,

Marie Nelson <scribbles.mn@...>

From the research I have done, these accessibility overlays are not only not what they claim but, can make a site more difficult to use.

Marie

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 6:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Gene

Marda

Gene

Gene

Hi list,

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

I don't know if this article applies, but someone would have to try it out to test it with this Audio Eye overlay.

Here is the link to the article about this issue, and the article is below that.

Chrome Store link for the app:

AccessiBe Gone | accessibegone
View on GitHub
accessibegone
Instructions for blocking AccessiBe and similar intrusive overlays
AccessiBe Gone
If you are blind or low vision and rely on assistive technologies like
screen readers, you may have begun finding popular websites becoming less
usable–
all in the same ways:
list of 2 items
• Shortly after the page loads, you hear a prompt to either “Press ALT+1 to
enable screen reader mode,” or “to activate screen reader mode, click the
first
button of the website.” This text repeats endlessly every ten seconds and
interrupts anything you might be doing on the page.
• Activating the screen reader mode introduces unexpected results, such as
many nonsensical headings where there were none, oddly named forms,
JavaScript
code, or a single massive block of text which renders the entire site
unusable.
list end
If you have been scratching your head looking for the answer to this vexing
plague, the cause is a piece of technology called an accessibility overlay–
rather, software masquerading as such. Most recently, a company known as
AccessiBe has been selling and delivering software to thousands of websites,
claiming
that their one-line solution will make their sites accessible and save them
from legal action. The claim is that artificial intelligence negates the
need
for any knowledge of accessible design patterns. Unfortunately, many
businesses believe AccessiBe’s claims and integrate the overlay with no
thought to
whether the technology actually delivers.
For more background on AccessiBe and their current hostile stance towards
the disabled, you are encouraged to read
this thorough post by Adrian Roselli.
Their software has
many documented flaws,
they have been caught
trying to silence critics,
misrepresenting the ADA and WCAG 2.1 standards,
and
paying for fake Wordpress reviews.
All the while, AccessiBe has been made aware of the harm they are doing to
people who use assistive technology through numerous channels. The continued
lack of solutions to trivial coding mistakes demonstrates laziness,
incompitence, or actual malice. Not having spoken with anyone on their
development
team, I can only judge based on the product itself.
Have you had enough of their intrusive overlay? Then keep reading. This
document describes how to ban AccessiBe from ever reaching your computer and
disrupting
your online web experience. Note: the approaches below are exemplary. There
are, as they say, many ways to skin a cat. Be creative, and please share any
solutions you devise with the community.
What to Block
The AccessiBe software is delivered from two domain hosts– both of which
point to the same IP address:
list of 2 items
• acsbap.com
• acsbapp.com
list end
At a minimum, blocking these domains on your device of choice (or preferably
your local network) will be sufficient. You may also wish to block the IP
address altogether, though this may change once in a while. At the time of
writing, the address is 167.172.136.187. If in doubt, perform a ping on
either
domain to obtain the correct IP address.
How to Block the AccessiBe Domains
Install the AccessiByeBye Extension
The folks at
Pneuma Solutions
 (formerly Serotek), have taken the initial idea of blocking AccessiBe as
outlined in this document and written a browser extension compatible with
Chrome,
Edge, and Firefox that blocks multiple overlay providers. If you use any of
these browsers, then installing the
AccessiByeBye
 extension will get rid of those overlays in no time. You can

find it in the Chrome Web Store

or
check out the project on GitHub.
Using an Ad Blocker
A couple of enterprising individuals have taken it upon themselves to create
custom AccessiBe block rules that run directly in your browser. For users
of
Ad Block Plus
 and
uBlock Origin,
Derek Riemer has created
this filter.
Users of Apple devices are encouraged to install
Better
 which already blacklists AccessiBe and many other bad actors.
Windows Instructions
The below instructions demonstrate how to block the current AccessiBe
overlay distribution IP address via the Windows Firewall. If you are
comfortable
editing the system hosts file (located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc),
then you may wish to go that route instead.
list of 12 items
1. In the Start Menu, type “firewall” and press Enter. The Windows Firewall
application opens.
2. Click the “Advanced Options” link. Answer Yes to the User Account Control
if it appears.
3. In the “Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security” screen, select
the outbound rules treeview item, click the Action menu and select New Rule.

4. Select the custom rule option.
5. Choose to apply this rule to all programs.
6. Set the protocol type to any.
7. Select “These IP Addresses” and click Add.
8. In the IP addition screen, select “This IP or Subnet” and enter
167.172.136.187 for the IP address you wish to block, then click OK.
9. On the following screen, choose to block the connection.
10. Next, check the items where the rule should apply. The default is for
the new filter to apply to the current domain, public, and private networks.

11. Finally, give the rule a name, and click Finish.
12. Close the Windows Firewall.
list end
Mac OS and Linux Instructions
This procedure describes how to edit the hosts file on a Mac to block the
AccessiBe domain names. The following steps will also apply to any modern
UNIX
or Linux like operating system (including some routers and single-board
computers such as the Raspberry Pi). If you are using Linux, open a terminal
or
console window and follow the instructions for editing the hosts file only.
list of 9 items
1. Press Command + Space to open the Spotlight Search. Type “terminal” and
press Return.
2. When the terminal window opens, type “sudo nano /etc/hosts” followed by
Return.
3. At this point you will be prompted for your administrative password. Type
it and press Return.
4. The nano text editor opens. If you have never used nano before,
this guide
 may be useful.
5. press the Down Arrow until you reach the line which reads “127.0.0.1
localhost”. Press the Down Arrow once more and Return once or twice to add a
blank
line.
6. Enter the following exactly as shown: tip, you may copy the following
line to the clipboard and paste it directly into the file
127.0.0.1 acsbap.com acsbapp.com
7. Review the change, ensuring there are spaces between the IP address and
two domain names.
8. If all looks good, press Ctrl + X to exit nano. You will be asked if you
wish to save your changes. Press Y followed by Return.
9. At this point you are finished and can press Command + Q to quit the
terminal application.
list end
Check Your Setup
Due to browser security, this page cannot accurately test whether AccessiBe
has been successfully blocked. Therefore, the most reliable way to find out
is to visit a page which embeds the overlay. A few examples include
Name Cheap
 or
Ham Radio Outlet.
If you do not hear any prompt to press a command for screen reader mode, and
more importantly if no such items appear on the above pages after a few
seconds,
then congratulations! You have taken back control of the web.
Is That All?
Unfortunately, no. While AccessiBe is the worst offender today, other
companies are engaging in similar deceitful practices. Over time
instructions for
blocking them will be integrated into this page.
Feedback
I welcome any comments, corrections, and additions. Simply clone the
project page
 and submit a pull request.
Please pass these instructions on to anyone else who would benefit. The web
belongs to all of us. Let’s reclaim it. Thanks for reading.
No felines were injured during the creation of this document.
accessibegone maintained by
sclower
Published with
GitHub Pages

Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 11:24 AM

From the research I have done, these accessibility overlays are not only not what they claim but, can make a site more difficult to use.

Marie

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 6:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Gene

Marda

Gene

Gene

Hi list,