Audio recording

John Holcomb II

Sound Forge Studio 10 won’t work under Windows 10, so I’ve found.

I’ve got an upgrade to Studio 15 $35, and  can get the new JAWS  scripts from Jim Snowbarjer.

But before I do this, what other solutions do people use for recording audio?

I need to be able to record, normalize, save to *.flac, be able to cut audio and loop playback. I record from an external sound card.

Fade options are a must too.

I know some have used GoldWave but do not believe scripts are being updated for it anymore.

Man I am glad I don’t have Windows 10 on my primary computer yet!

I’ve had to get sited help to install sound card drivers for my Creative card which also doesn’t work on Windows 10 natively without drivers from the company, like Windows  7 did.

I’m going to be upgrading to Windows 10 soon on my main box since Jaws 2022 won’t support 7. So I wanna make sure I got all of my ducks in a row.

I was told my GeForce 210 video card will work, now I gotta get the audio stuff working.

Thanks,

John

Thanks,

John

Jujube

Edited

For audio recording I highly recommend Audacity and/or Reaper. Both are accessible with either JAWS or NVDA. For Reaper you must download
an extension called OSARA in order to use it with screen readers though.

Recording in Audacity is easier and involves less steps, it is also great for basic editing and splicing of recordings and it should work with loop playback. However, if you're doing more extensive work with effects and need better, non destructive fading and stuff, Reaper is better. If anything, I recommend having both on your system because you may find both useful for different things. Audacity is totally free and open source while Reaper has an indefinite full featured trial period so you could use it for free forever, however you should pay the $60 license if you can.

By the way, Audacity and Reaper are some of the most popular and mainstream audio editing and mixing apps in the sighted world too :)

On 8/3/21, John Holcomb II <jhii926@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I only need simple stereo recording, and do not need a multi-track solution.
I'm only recording off an FM tuner.
John

[...]

Hmmm... unfortunately I can't think of anything that just does single
track recording other than like basic voice recorder type apps, but
you can record single tracks in Audacity and Reaper (sounds like
Audacity may be more fitting in your case).

[...]

goshawk on horseback

for the recording, I would say give arthax a go. I am using it with win7, but as it is a fairly new program, don't see why it wouldn't work with win10.
it has a super useful audio monitoring feature, which is great if one needs to set levels, eq, and things, and it can do wav, mp3, or flac recordings.
have been using it to remaster a lot of tapes over the covid imprisonment regime.

I tend to use wavepad for any editing work.

hope this helps.

Simon

[...]

Hey there,

So I downloaded the arthax program, and every  time it asks if I want to install the scripts, I say yes. And it says  error cant’ install scripts and closes.

I also checked the website and the articles section, and there is nothing on how to record with the program.

Can you give me some pointers please?

I’ve got it set to Flac and max compression but dunno what to do from here.

Thanks,

John

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 8/3/21, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:

> Sound Forge Studio 10 won't work under Windows 10, so I've found.

> I've got an upgrade to Studio 15 $35, and  can get the new JAWS

> scripts from Jim Snowbarjer.

> But before I do this, what other solutions do people use for recording

> audio?

> I need to be able to record, normalize, save to *.flac, be able to cut

> audio and loop playback. I record from an external sound card.

> Fade options are a must too.

> I know some have used GoldWave but do not believe scripts are being

> updated for it anymore.

> Man I am glad I don't have Windows 10 on my primary computer yet!

> I've had to get sited help to install sound card drivers for my

> Creative card which also doesn't work on Windows 10 natively without

> drivers from the company, like Windows  7 did.

> I'm going to be upgrading to Windows 10 soon on my main box since Jaws

> 2022 won't support 7. So I wanna make sure I got all of my ducks in a row.

> I was told my GeForce 210 video card will work, now I gotta get the

> audio stuff working.

> Thanks,

> John

> Thanks,

> John

goshawk on horseback

don't know about the scripts issue, as haven't had that here.
I assume you found the "record" option in the menus? if not, it's in the "extras" menu.
once you are in that, have set your file name, format, and all that, press the alt key for the menu, and one will come up called "record"
in there, you should find 4 options,
"start",
"pause",
"stop",
and "new file".
hope that helps.

Simon

For audio recording I highly recommend Audacity and/or Reaper. Both are

accessible with either JAWS or NVDA. For Reaper you must download an

extension called OSARA in order to use it with screen readers though.

Recording in Audacity is easier and involves less steps, it is also great

for basic editing and splicing of recordings and it should work with loop

playback. However, if you're doing more extensive work with effects and need

better, non destructive fading and stuff, Reaper is better. If anything, I

recommend having both on your system because you may find both useful for

different things. Audacity is totally free and open source while Reaper has

an indefinite full featured trial period so you could use it for free

forever, however you should pay the $60 license if you can.

By the way, Audacity and Reaper are some of the most popular and mainstream

audio editing and mixing apps in the sighted world too :)

On 8/3/21, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:

> Sound Forge Studio 10 won't work under Windows 10, so I've found.

> I've got an upgrade to Studio 15 $35, and  can get the new JAWS

> scripts from Jim Snowbarjer.

> But before I do this, what other solutions do people use for recording

> audio?

> I need to be able to record, normalize, save to *.flac, be able to cut

> audio and loop playback. I record from an external sound card.

> Fade options are a must too.

> I know some have used GoldWave but do not believe scripts are being

> updated for it anymore.

> Man I am glad I don't have Windows 10 on my primary computer yet!

> I've had to get sited help to install sound card drivers for my

> Creative card which also doesn't work on Windows 10 natively without

> drivers from the company, like Windows  7 did.

> I'm going to be upgrading to Windows 10 soon on my main box since Jaws

> 2022 won't support 7. So I wanna make sure I got all of my ducks in a row.

> I was told my GeForce 210 video card will work, now I gotta get the

> audio stuff working.

> Thanks,

> John

> Thanks,

> John

John Holcomb II

Hey, thanks!  I’ll try it sometime tomorrow. I’d like to get the jaws scripts working. The website:

Arthax - formally known as MaPlEr (mar-dy.com)

Says see our contact info below for phone or email but there is nothing there  and no way to contact them.

John

For audio recording I highly recommend Audacity and/or Reaper. Both are

accessible with either JAWS or NVDA. For Reaper you must download an

extension called OSARA in order to use it with screen readers though.

Recording in Audacity is easier and involves less steps, it is also great

for basic editing and splicing of recordings and it should work with loop

playback. However, if you're doing more extensive work with effects and need

better, non destructive fading and stuff, Reaper is better. If anything, I

recommend having both on your system because you may find both useful for

different things. Audacity is totally free and open source while Reaper has

an indefinite full featured trial period so you could use it for free

forever, however you should pay the $60 license if you can.

By the way, Audacity and Reaper are some of the most popular and mainstream

audio editing and mixing apps in the sighted world too :)

On 8/3/21, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:

> Sound Forge Studio 10 won't work under Windows 10, so I've found.

> I've got an upgrade to Studio 15 $35, and  can get the new JAWS

> scripts from Jim Snowbarjer.

> But before I do this, what other solutions do people use for recording

> audio?

> I need to be able to record, normalize, save to *.flac, be able to cut

> audio and loop playback. I record from an external sound card.

> Fade options are a must too.

> I know some have used GoldWave but do not believe scripts are being

> updated for it anymore.

> Man I am glad I don't have Windows 10 on my primary computer yet!

> I've had to get sited help to install sound card drivers for my

> Creative card which also doesn't work on Windows 10 natively without

> drivers from the company, like Windows  7 did.

> I'm going to be upgrading to Windows 10 soon on my main box since Jaws

> 2022 won't support 7. So I wanna make sure I got all of my ducks in a row.

> I was told my GeForce 210 video card will work, now I gotta get the

> audio stuff working.

> Thanks,

> John

> Thanks,

> John

John Holcomb II

AH ok, I went to the main page and saw how to email from there.

Still though that part of the site does need to be fixed.

John

For audio recording I highly recommend Audacity and/or Reaper. Both are

accessible with either JAWS or NVDA. For Reaper you must download an

extension called OSARA in order to use it with screen readers though.

Recording in Audacity is easier and involves less steps, it is also great

for basic editing and splicing of recordings and it should work with loop

playback. However, if you're doing more extensive work with effects and need

better, non destructive fading and stuff, Reaper is better. If anything, I

recommend having both on your system because you may find both useful for

different things. Audacity is totally free and open source while Reaper has

an indefinite full featured trial period so you could use it for free

forever, however you should pay the $60 license if you can.

By the way, Audacity and Reaper are some of the most popular and mainstream

audio editing and mixing apps in the sighted world too :)

On 8/3/21, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:

> Sound Forge Studio 10 won't work under Windows 10, so I've found.

> I've got an upgrade to Studio 15 $35, and  can get the new JAWS

> scripts from Jim Snowbarjer.

> But before I do this, what other solutions do people use for recording

> audio?

> I need to be able to record, normalize, save to *.flac, be able to cut

> audio and loop playback. I record from an external sound card.

> Fade options are a must too.

> I know some have used GoldWave but do not believe scripts are being

> updated for it anymore.

> Man I am glad I don't have Windows 10 on my primary computer yet!

> I've had to get sited help to install sound card drivers for my

> Creative card which also doesn't work on Windows 10 natively without

> drivers from the company, like Windows  7 did.

> I'm going to be upgrading to Windows 10 soon on my main box since Jaws

> 2022 won't support 7. So I wanna make sure I got all of my ducks in a row.

> I was told my GeForce 210 video card will work, now I gotta get the

> audio stuff working.

> Thanks,

> John

> Thanks,

> John

Curtis Delzer

stick with sound forge, has overall the best keyboard support and with Jim's scripts it is nice enough to play as you wish it too. I have SF14, and was never offered to update to SF15 for anything like $35, you lucky duck. :)

--
Curtis Delzer
HS

curtis@calweb.com

Victor

Are there any good tutorials for sound forge? I’ve use the program a little bit over the years, but I’ve never found any tutorials.

On Aug 3, 2021, at 10:54 PM, Curtis Delzer <curtis@calweb.com> wrote:

[...]

If you look around, the overall best is your own play, but Jonathan Mozen (not sure of spelling) did one in the day, and overall many of the commands used then still apply. It was for SF version 4.5, and 5 when it still was by Sonic Foundry.
The scripts if you buy them have many descriptions of how to do things within them also, but again, your own play is still always the best.