Topics

Blindshell phone questions

Gene

This discussion raises the question of whether the Shell phone does enough to justify its cost.  Perhaps there are people on the list who are familiar with the various feature phones that are reasonably accessible and who might comment.  It appears to me that not many blind people are.  Almost all discussion and articles written concerning accessible phones are about smart phones and it appears few blind people have worked with enough feature phones to compare them.  But such knowledge might be of considerable use to those who do not want smart phones but want a feature phone to do such things as text, perhaps e-mail, and use other features of feature phones such as the calendar, the note taker, the voice recorder, the MP3 player, and perhaps others.

While the shell phone, from discussions here, allows good editing of texts and, I would imagine provides good access to e-mail and editing messages you write, is that worth over three hundred dollars when there are so much less expensive options?  Of course, people will have to decide for themselves but I remain unconvinced that for a lot of feature phone users, the Shell Phone is worth the money.  While its annoying not to be able to edit texts, you can still get your point across, even if you allow errors in your texts because they are difficult to correct in many other feature phones.  You may want to be very careful to keep errors to a minimum or rewrite a message to eliminate them.  But imperfect texts, it is my impression that texts are a sloppy medium anyway, may be a good exchange for saving perhaps 150 or 200 dollars.  If I were away from home a lot, I might spend the extra money to get good access to e-mail.  But what am I giving up in exchange?  My phone, costing something like 150 or 200 dollars less, can play YouTube material and has limited use of the Google assistant, which I use to play it.

I'm not sure I would want to give that up if the Shell phone doesn't have that ability and I would have to be away enough and long enough that lack of e-mail access would matter, more than a day or two now and then.

In short, I'm not saying that blind people not get a Blind Shell Phone, but at the same time, I think considerably more discussion of comparisons between that phone and other reasonably accessible feature phones would be helpful, if knowledgeable people are on the list.

I don't have the knowledge.  I know my phone, but I haven't used any other currently available ones.

Gene

On 12/5/2020 11:43 AM, Laz wrote:
Correct on both counts Monte; no browser and no user-installed apps on
the Blindshell classic phone.

Laz

On 12/5/20, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:
Hi Olusegun,

I think that user installed apps is not a feature of the blind shell
classic; the blind shell classic does not have a browser.

[...]

If there is one thing I'd like to see added to the blind shell, it would be a browser. Even a basic one  would be better than nothing.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

This Carolyn has an iPhone, but that stock monitoring sounds
interesting, might try to see how that one works, and, of
course, the news is easy to get on an iPhone.

I know nothing about the Blind Shell Classic.

[...]

Oh yes, I did hear that the Shell does not have a browser.

Sent: December 5, 2020 11:23 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

It isn't a feature phone? What is it, please?

The Blind Shell Phone isn't a feature phone.

[...]

And, to think, in 2018, I bought a new iPhone SE for $150 from my carrier, but, a bargain is not a bargain if one has difficulties with touch screens. I do understand that, because they did not come easy for me.

I had an Android tablet that I liked, but did not spend enough time with. Then, the Hadley videos made it possible for me to catch on to how to use the iPhone.

[...]

Never mind; you did say it is a feature phone, thanks.

[...]

Monte Single

Hi List,

The Blind Shell Classic is an interesting animal.
It has a combination of features that I like;
First, it has keys you can feel. Smart phone don't, there may be an
exception.
Second, you can dictate text messages to the Blind Shell Classic.
So-called "feature" phones do have buttons, but you cannot dictate text
messages.
So, personally, I am living with a second-hand I phone 7 to which I can
dictate text messages, but it has no buttons.
When it comes to entering info, passwords, codes, card numbers, etc, on a
smart phone, I'm a clutz.

I would buy a Blind Shell Classic, but right now, it's just a bit pricey
given the difference between the value of the Canadian and US dollars.
Personally I don't care that the Blind Shell Classic does not have a
browser.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers, and live safely,

Monte

[...]

Monty,if I had to choose between access to a browser or an Email client on a phone, I'd go for the second. A browser would be nice but being able to check Email is important to me.

[...]

Monte, You left out the ability to dictate email messages.

[...]

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

Monte Single

Yes, Laz,
I neglected to say the Blind Shell Classic works with dictation of email messages.
That's just because I use a p c for such activity,
...and that's just one of the way my brain/mind is compartmentalized.

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

Gerald Levy

Does the BlindShell have the ability to dial phone numbers by digit using voice commands?

Gerald

On 12/5/20, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, or by contact name if the person is in your contacts.

Laz

On 12/5/2020 5:11 PM, Laz wrote:
[...]

My feature phone allows dictation of messages. I don't know if enough others do to amount to anything. The dictation isn't bad, but it would be nice if it were more accurate, especially since messages are so extremely difficult to edit on this phone that I seldom try.

How accuracy compares between this phone and the Blinde Shell Phone would be interesting to compare.

[...]

We'll see what people say. I doubt it because I suspect that it uses a digital assistant like the Google Assistant. At least on my phone, the Google Assistant can't do so. We'll see if that is a general limitation, as I suspect, or not.

My old phone had a completely internal speech command system and it could do it. it was a Nuance system and could do things the Google Assistant can't do on my phone such as tell me the battery level and the signal strength and I believe it could dial by number as well.

Does the BlindShell have the ability to dial phone numbers by digit using voice commands?

Gerald

On 12/5/2020 5:11 PM, Laz wrote:
Monte, You left out the ability to dictate email messages. Laz On 12/5/20, Monte Single mailto:mrsingle@sasktel.net wrote: Hi List, The Blind Shell Classic is an interesting animal. It has a combination of features that I like; First, it has keys you can feel. Smart phone don't, there may be an exception. Second, you can dictate text messages to the Blind Shell Classic. So-called "feature" phones do have buttons, but you cannot dictate text messages. So, personally, I am living with a second-hand I phone 7 to which I can dictate text messages, but it has no buttons. When it comes to entering info, passwords, codes, card numbers, etc, on a smart phone, I'm a clutz. I would buy a Blind Shell Classic, but right now, it's just a bit pricey given the difference between the value of the Canadian and US dollars. Personally I don't care that the Blind Shell Classic does not have a browser. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Cheers, and live safely, Monte -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold Sent: December 5, 2020 3:39 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions Oh yes, I did hear that the Shell does not have a browser. -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Monte Single Sent: Saturday, December 5, 2020 12:34 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions Hi Olusegun, I think that user installed apps is not a feature of the blind shell classic; the blind shell classic does not have a browser. -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. Sent: December 5, 2020 11:23 AM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions Terrilynne, pardon me for being behind the curtains! I'm thinking you have a smart toy of some kind like many of us in this space. For the Breaking News you're receiving from your local radio station, did you have to install an app on your smart toy? If YES in the affirmative, you'll need to know whether or not you can install your own preferred apps on the Blindshell toy because if you can't, you'd need to weigh your options carefully with regards to adopting it into your smart toy family. For me, to receive news from the New York Times as an example, I must install its app on any of my toys dedicated for such business. A Push Notification, if enabled on a smart toy, simply alerts you when there's something cooking with respect to an app that supports it. Example, I have the Robinhood app installed on my toys; I'm monitoring a few stocks; so, each day as the market closes, the app pushes to me a notification that lets me know how well the stocks I'm monitoring did for that particular day. Some E-mail apps support Push Notification and will work the same way. Sincerely, Olusegun Denver, Colorado

Gene

That's interesting. I wonder what system it uses for operation with speech. it would be interesting if any of the well recognized assistants can do this. As I think about it, I suspect they can and that the limitation I spoke of is likely on my phone, not of the assistant. If an assistant is used in The Shell Phone, it should be able to do all sorts of things.

I wonder if the phone has a built-in Youtube app, allowing you to listen to music and other content on Youtube.

[...]

Yes, the phone definitely has a youtube app as well as the ability to listen to internet radio stations.

-----Original Message----- From: Laz

[...]

Since the browser in my phone isn't accessible enough to use to any extent, it sounds as though the Shell phone does pretty much what my phone does and a certain amount more. I can't listen to radio stations, though I wouldn't spend extra money for a phone just for that. I do value the FM radio my phone makes available and I know the Blind Shell Phone also has one.

I might spend a certain amount extra for that feature.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Which one of those phones was it that did have a small browser that would let you do just a few things? Was that the Lucia phone? Pam.