From: Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 4:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Does the BlindShell have the ability to dial phone numbers by digit using
voice commands?

Gerald

On 12/5/2020 5:11 PM, Laz wrote:
Monte, You left out the ability to dictate email messages. Laz On 12/5/20,
Monte Single mailto:mrsingle@sasktel.net wrote: Hi List, The Blind Shell
Classic is an interesting animal. It has a combination of features that I
like; First, it has keys you can feel. Smart phone don't, there may be an
exception. Second, you can dictate text messages to the Blind Shell Classic.

So-called "feature" phones do have buttons, but you cannot dictate text
messages. So, personally, I am living with a second-hand I phone 7 to which

I can dictate text messages, but it has no buttons. When it comes to
entering info, passwords, codes, card numbers, etc, on a smart phone, I'm a

clutz. I would buy a Blind Shell Classic, but right now, it's just a bit
pricey given the difference between the value of the Canadian and US
dollars. Personally I don't care that the Blind Shell Classic does not have

a browser. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Cheers, and live safely,

Monte -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold Sent: December 5,

2020 3:39 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell

phone questions Oh yes, I did hear that the Shell does not have a
browser. -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Monte Single Sent: Saturday,
December 5, 2020 12:34 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re:
[TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions Hi Olusegun, I think that user
installed apps is not a feature of the blind shell classic; the blind shell

classic does not have a browser. -----Original Message----- From:
main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of
Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. Sent: December 5, 2020 11:23 AM To:

main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions
Terrilynne, pardon me for being behind the curtains! I'm thinking you have a

smart toy of some kind like many of us in this space. For the Breaking News

you're receiving from your local radio station, did you have to install an
app on your smart toy? If YES in the affirmative, you'll need to know
whether or not you can install your own preferred apps on the Blindshell toy

because if you can't, you'd need to weigh your options carefully with
regards to adopting it into your smart toy family. For me, to receive news
from the New York Times as an example, I must install its app on any of my
toys dedicated for such business. A Push Notification, if enabled on a smart

toy, simply alerts you when there's something cooking with respect to an app

that supports it. Example, I have the Robinhood app installed on my toys;
I'm monitoring a few stocks; so, each day as the market closes, the app
pushes to me a notification that lets me know how well the stocks I'm
monitoring did for that particular day. Some E-mail apps support Push
Notification and will work the same way. Sincerely, Olusegun Denver,
Colorado

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

Laz

Yes, it has a Youtube app.

That's interesting. I wonder what system it uses for operation with
speech. it would be interesting if any of the well recognized assistants
can do this. As I think about it, I suspect they can and that the
limitation I spoke of is likely on my phone, not of the assistant. If an
assistant is used in The Shell Phone, it should be able to do all sorts of
things.

I wonder if the phone has a built-in Youtube app, allowing you to listen to

music and other content on Youtube.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I wait until I am at the computer to check my email. Pam.

Monty,if I had to choose between access to a browser or an Email client
on a phone, I'd go for the second. A browser would be nice but being
able to check Email is important to me.

[...]

https://www.avg.com

Laz

It has a few more apps which benefit the blind user such as a color
identifier, object tagging, music player, book reader, as well as a
translator.

Stay safe,

Laz

Since the browser in my phone isn't accessible enough to use to any extent,

it sounds as though the Shell phone does pretty much what my phone does and

a certain amount more. I can't listen to radio stations, though I wouldn't

spend extra money for a phone just for that. I do value the FM radio my
phone makes available and I know the Blind Shell Phone also has one.

I might spend a certain amount extra for that feature.

Yes, the phone definitely has a youtube app as well as the ability to
listen to internet radio stations.

On 2020-12-05 6:52 p.m., Gene wrote:
That's interesting. I wonder what system it uses for operation with
speech. it would be interesting if any of the well recognized assistants

can do this. As I think about it, I suspect they can and that the
limitation I spoke of is likely on my phone, not of the assistant. If an

assistant is used in The Shell Phone, it should be able to do all sorts of

things.

I wonder if the phone has a built-in Youtube app, allowing you to listen
to music and other content on Youtube.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Laz

[...]

Okay, I thought it was the blind shell phone where you could do stuff like that. I called it a browser, because I forgot exactly what it was. Pam.

[...]

That's you Pam, and I mostly agree with you myself, but I've become
aware that there are some blind people out there who don't use a
computer at all but a phone to do such things as email, search the
internet, etc.

Stay safe,

Laz

On 12/6/20, Pamela Dominguez <pammygirl99@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Carolyn Arnold

I think maybe on the Kapsys, there was Internet capability, maybe with browser.

Okay, I thought it was the blind shell phone where you could do stuff like that. I called it a browser, because I forgot exactly what it was. Pam.

Yes, the phone definitely has a youtube app as well as the ability to listen to internet radio stations.

Oh yes, I did hear that the Shell does not have a browser.

I think that user installed apps is not a feature of the blind
shell classic; the blind shell classic does not have a browser.

Of Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: December 5, 2020 11:23 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Monte Single

Hi Laz,

Which book formats will the BSC read?

Cheers,

Monte

Sent: December 5, 2020 11:23 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

Laz

Hi Monte, I've tested MP3 and text files. The Blindshell
classic uses it's TTS voices to read any books in text format. It
probably plays OGG, WAV and other files which Android supports as
well.

Stay safe,

Laz

Sent: December 5, 2020 11:23 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Colonel Monte, gracious thanks for letting me know that the Blindshell toy
DOES NOT have a browser. Back in the Sybian days, I was able to install a
few apps on my Nokia N86, example, I did install Skype on it and was able to
use it. I take delight in playing with various apps for accessibility and
usability, I'd be lost without the ability to instll apps on my chosen toy
in this new era. I wonder why the developers of the Blindshell think that
the blind DO NOT NEED a toy with a broswer! Even extremely cheap toys in
Androidville do come with browsers, and they also allow one to install any
other browser of one's choice! Is this happening because they are made for
use by individuals with pairs of eyes? If YES, I need to go find six pairs
of eyes to borrow permanently.

I do agree with Chief Gene's comments regarding the price of the Blindshell
and its capabilities. I can't justify spending $350-$400 on a toy that
severely limits and/or cripples me when it comes to choosing what I want to
be able to accomplish with my toy. That said, I do need to SCRATCH MY HEAD
just to see if it would remember who GAVE ME THE AUTHORITY to MAKE CHOICES
for the blind when it comes to smart toys deployment? I suppose that any
blind person who wants the limitations set by adaptive/assistive technology
toys need not worry about teaming up with others who wave a red flag at such
limitations.

As an example in my case, I thought I would PLAY BALL AGAIN with an iPhone;
I was eyeing the SE2020 because it is AT A PRICE POINT In can live with.
Then I looked at its battery power and discovered that it is less than
2,000MAH at the minimum. Really? In Androidville, several $400 toys have
somewhere between 3,500MAH-5,000MAH batteries that pretty last for eternity
powering them. Since I SQUEEZE BLOOD out of my smart toys, I can't leave
with a smart toy whose battery could run out before I make it from my
hideout to the nearest bus stop to get on the bus and thus jumpstart my day.
Yes, I've been told a thing or two about the iPhone's battery management and
why it's better than what is the case in Androidville; but, after weighing
my options, I'm not convinced. So, playing with an iPhone for me will
remain an unsatisfied dream until something else changes somewhere down the
line.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Monte Single

Hi Olusegun,

If I could coordinate my fingers, brain, and those newer android creatures
half as well as you do, I would probably have a small stable of them.
As I have said before, I can type with ten fingers, not worry much about
spelling, add/remove bits and pieces to and from a computer, but when it
comes to navigating a smart screen, I am "dos klutz"!
When I see a cross-over device like the Blind Shell classic, I think, "that
would work well for me."

But hey, things are lookin up, I can now send and receive text messages
on my iphone 7 without typing anything.
As one of my friends said recently, "you're only 25 years behind."
I can place phone calls with Cyril; Siri had a sex change so I would not
get her confused with Voiceover.
Now if I could just enter things like birth dates, credit card numbers and
all those other codes and keys using my voice on the Iphone, I would be
rockin!

Here's hoping the new year brings some good changes for myself and all my
neighbours south of the 49th.

Cheers,

Monte

[...]

Sharon S

Hi all, sorry coming in a bit late but wanted to respond to this message.

I have the Kapsys Smart Vision II phone and besides being a few versions of android behind it is a fully functioning android phone. It is running android 6.0 so there are some apps that won't run on it but I haven't found that many yet. I chose it because of it's keyboard and I haven't been disappointed with it. I have had it for nearly four years now.. The only thing I can't do on it which I would like to do is send emails. I don't think this is a limitation of the phone I think it is something going strange on my providers end.

Bye for now.
From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.

Sent: December 5, 2020 11:23 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Here is a thread about accessible, more or less, feature phones from almost a year ago. Take this as information that needs to be checked because in technology, things may change a lot in a year. But this thread may give you some ideas of what you might want to investigate. I think that either the whole or much of the thread should be rread to see how certain points are discussed and at times expanded on or clarified. And remember that the thread on the page progresses or regresses backwards, with the newest message at the top. One of the best ways to skip all sorts of verbiage is to use s to move by separator from message to message. Shift s will move you from the bottom of the page up but I haven't played with that and I'm not sure just how you would get good movement. If you experiment with that, check to see you haven't missed the first message at the bottom. Also, it would seem to me that after reading a message, s would be pressed twice, first to move you to the separator for the message you just read, then again to move you to the separator immediately above the next message in the thread.

Here are my comments on the thread:
The comments on the Alkatel's accessibility are outdated. There was a software update since I got the phone and now the contacts list speaks properly and the phone log speaks enough to tell you who called or what numberr if the number isn't in your contacts.

Also, at the time of this thread, I didn't know that the Alkatel can work with the Google assistant to an extent. You can play music from Youtube with it, you can tell it to dial a number by digit or, I believe, by name if it is in your contacts, you can dictate messages when you text, you can also use it to rename files such as in the Voice Reccorder. The dictation isn't that accurate and the speech isn't good enough that you will hear all errors, but texting is a sloppy medium and at times, I tell people that I am dictating and there may be errors.

Also, I don't recall if this is discussed in the thread but if the alarm on a phone is important to you, the Alkatel has two bugs regarding the alarm you should know about. I'll discuss them on request. If you buy this phone, you may want to ask on lists about a good small portable alarm clock since you are likely to be dissatisfied with the alarm because of the serious bugs.

Also kkeep in mind that the cheap phone from Best Buy may be more expensive than the Alkatel, if the information about the six month mandatory use period is accurate. I've heard different things about the statement that it only says something like call or incoming, or whatever it is described as saying and no information about the call number or the name. I've seen a comment elsewhere that there is a way to make the phone give this information but I don't knowhich is correct.

In short, this thread gives information you generally won't find and it gives things to investigate if you want an off-the-shelf phone.
https://groups.io/g/Tech4theblind/topic/69446900#1469

Hi all, sorry coming in a bit late but wanted to respond to this message.

I have the Kapsys Smart Vision II phone and besides being a few versions of android behind it is a fully functioning android phone. It is running android 6.0 so there are some apps that won't run on it but I haven't found that many yet. I chose it because of it's keyboard and I haven't been disappointed with it. I have had it for nearly four years now.. The only thing I can't do on it which I would like to do is send emails. I don't think this is a limitation of the phone I think it is something going strange on my providers end.

Bye for now.
From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.