Topics

bluetooth keyboard for use with smart phone?

Keith S

I'm looking into purchasing a bluetooth keyboard for use with my smart phone.

My Phone is a samsung galaxy

Is there anything in particular I should look for in a bluetooth keyboard that will be used on such a  phone.?

I know it will need to be  syncronized with the phone, and I am sure my cousin could do that for me.

Thanks

Keith

Keith, there are myriads of keyboards out in the wild. It will depend on
whether you want a pocket or full-sized one. The most common one used by
blind folks is the iClever BK03 which is pocket-sized; that is to say that
it will fit snugly in a coat pocket or the big chest pocket of a shirt. It
is a trifold keyboard and has a built-in ion battery.

Check amazon.com for pricing and availability. The keyboard is quite easy
to setup and I believe that, if there are NO DEXTERITY ISSUES, you'll be
able to set it up on your own without any pair of eyes! Fell free to yell
at me privately if you need more assistance; good luck and all the very
best.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Keith S

Are the keys cramped on the keyboard?

I only ask because I have a laptop (full sized) and the keys are all flat topped with no tactural differences except for the two keys on the home line ( the f and j keys)

Makes it very difficult for me to differentiate the different keys.  so, I use a USB keyboard plugged into the laptop and I can type with ease.

I have a bit of neuropathy in my fingers and  don't want to put money into something I am going to get frustrated and not use.

Thanks for the info

Keith

Keith, there are myriads of keyboards out in the wild.  It will depend on
whether you want a pocket or full-sized one.  The most common one used by
blind folks is the iClever BK03 which is pocket-sized; that is to say that
it will fit snugly in a coat pocket or the big chest pocket of a shirt. It
is a trifold keyboard and has a built-in ion battery.

Check amazon.com for pricing and availability.  The keyboard is quite easy
to setup and I believe that, if there are NO DEXTERITY ISSUES, you'll be
able to set it up on your own without any pair of eyes!  Fell free to yell
at me privately if you need more assistance; good luck and all the very
best.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Hello Keith S.:

In truth, I have not read up much on neuropathy in the fingers. I ought to
though, especially since I am in the DME business line where keeping up with
the CONSTANT CHANGING RULES has become nightmarish for me and several chaps
in the business.

Back to the bluetooth keyboard thingie; the keys may be CRAMPED TOGETHER
somewhat, but I've HAD NO PROBLEMS typing and navigating on My Shiny Android
toys using it. Granted, I only use it when the need to TYPE REAL LONG TEXTS
become necessary. The keys do have to be cramped together somewhat to allow
for the trifold methinks!

That said, based on the info you shared in your post, I'll suggest you take
a hard look at the Logitech line. The K380, K480, and a few others are
popular amongst blind bluetooth keyboard users. Matias bluetooth keyboard
is also popular, does cost a tad more. The RiVo2 is yet another; many iOS
enthusiasts run with this one, but it is my understanding that it does work
with Android toys as well. It specifically designed for use by the blind,
looks like LS&S Group has it, and Devine Medical sells it through
amazon.com/ If memory serves, it does cost well over $300xx; not sure you
want to SHELL OUT that much on a bluetooth keyboard.

I'll defer to others to FILL IN THE MISSING BLANKS with respect to the
Logitech offerings; my last rendezvous with a Logitech bluetooth keyboard
caused me to acquire one that DIDN'T FOLD and also required me to type in a
paring code which I've never had to do with any other bluetooth keyboard I
play ball with. So, I gave it away to an international student I mentor.
Good luck, and I hope you'll find something you can play with; may be when
the lockdowns are lifted, you could take a trip to a nearby computer store
and play with a few bluetooth keyboards before purchasing one.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado