calipers and Fasteners on nuts or screws

Pablo Morales

Hi all,

I am finding a problem when ever I go to Lowse Home Improvement or Home depo. If I bring a screw to one of these stores. The guys there go to the stands and check each screw trying to find the same tipy of screw. Of course, using this method, they get tire and quickly come back saying that they don’t have it. They don’t have the knowledge or awareness about type of screws, or type of  nuts and they just prefer to say that they don’t have it.

So, if I look online for a specific type of nut or screw. I need to know a few things like Diameter and threads per inch.

Yes, home depo and Lowse home improvement sales the tools to measure diameters and threads per inch. But they don’t speak.

Does anybody know if are tools like this for blind people?

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Monte Single

What kind of screws are you talking?  Screws for working with wood or metal?

Is it a flathead or a pan head screw?

Is it a screw with a slot, Philips, hex head, eta?

The diameter of a screw is  usually referred as a number such as a 2, 4, 6, etc.

And also the length of the screw is usually measured in inches.

I am finding a problem when ever I go to Lowse Home Improvement or Home depo. If I bring a screw to one of these stores. The guys there go to the stands and check each screw trying to find the same tipy of screw. Of course, using this method, they get tire and quickly come back saying that they don’t have it. They don’t have the knowledge or awareness about type of screws, or type of  nuts and they just prefer to say that they don’t have it.

So, if I look online for a specific type of nut or screw. I need to know a few things like Diameter and threads per inch.

Yes, home depo and Lowse home improvement sales the tools to measure diameters and threads per inch. But they don’t speak.

Does anybody know if are tools like this for blind people?

Thanks for all,

Pablo

gbmagoo@...

And the diamator with / threads;

Example

2 is diamator / 6would be number of threads per inch

I am finding a problem when ever I go to Lowse Home Improvement or Home depo. If I bring a screw to one of these stores. The guys there go to the stands and check each screw trying to find the same tipy of screw. Of course, using this method, they get tire and quickly come back saying that they don’t have it. They don’t have the knowledge or awareness about type of screws, or type of  nuts and they just prefer to say that they don’t have it.

So, if I look online for a specific type of nut or screw. I need to know a few things like Diameter and threads per inch.

Yes, home depo and Lowse home improvement sales the tools to measure diameters and threads per inch. But they don’t speak.

Does anybody know if are tools like this for blind people?

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Monte Single

Not quite, the diameter of the screw is not related to how many threads per inch.  A #2 screw is thinner than a #4  screw, etc..

The number of threads per inch  is usually referred to as fine or coarse.

So, you could have a  #8  screw which is a large diameter with fine threads, or  a #4 screw which is thinner, with a coarse thread.

[...]

I should clarify  that the length of a screw is referred to in inches if you live in  Canada or the U S.

All  the more advanced countries use metric.

Now, would you pass me that metric crescent wrench, please.

Cheers,

Mont

I am finding a problem when ever I go to Lowse Home Improvement or Home depo. If I bring a screw to one of these stores. The guys there go to the stands and check each screw trying to find the same tipy of screw. Of course, using this method, they get tire and quickly come back saying that they don’t have it. They don’t have the knowledge or awareness about type of screws, or type of  nuts and they just prefer to say that they don’t have it.

So, if I look online for a specific type of nut or screw. I need to know a few things like Diameter and threads per inch.

Yes, home depo and Lowse home improvement sales the tools to measure diameters and threads per inch. But they don’t speak.

Does anybody know if are tools like this for blind people?

Thanks for all,

Pablo

gbmagoo@...

Well if a number four screw was red on the package as a 4/20 that would be a number four diameter screw with 20 threads per inch if a number eight screw was marked his number 8/10 that would be a number eight screw with 10 threads per inch that second number let you know what the fineness of the courses of the threads are

[...]

Yes, because the larger the diameter of the screw, means it will usually have less threads per inch.  That may be more the case with wood svrews than metal screws.