Topics

can't do a complete system restore in windows 10

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I'm running windows 10 version 1809 and I tried to install a program the other day that only partially installed, and I'm not able to uninstall it so I want to do a system restore.

I've tried several times since yesterday to do a system restore however and each time I do the computer comes back after a while telling me that the system restore couldn't be completed likely due to antivirus. All I have running as protection is windows defender and the paid version of malware bytes however, is there a way to disable either one of these or both so I can try the system restore again? Btw I opened malware bytes from my desktop and unchecked all of the protections that were checked but of course when things came back after the aborted restore everything was checked again.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Troy

Steve Matzura

Find MWB in the system tray and exit the program. Then try System Restore again.

On 7/1/2020 8:21 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
[...]

Hi Steve,

Can windows defender be disabled? I just disabled malware bytes and tried the system restore and the same thing happened, IE system restore couldn't be completed and the message told me that a file couldn't be changed because of antivirus.

Troy

On 7/2/2020 7:19 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
[...]

Gene

I doubt that MSSE is the problem. As far as I know, Windows Defender can't be disabled, though as I recall, you can turn off protection. You can try that, but I've either never or so infrequentlhy heard of MSSE disrupting system restore that I doubt it is the problem. Do you have sighted assistance to allow you to run System Restore in Safe Mode?

[...]

Gene,

I have sighted assistance but neither of our computer literacy is high enough that I feel comfortable going through safe mode to do a system restore. I'll try calling Microsoft accessibility tomorrow and see if they can help, but the last time I called them a couple of months ago it sounded like they were shut down because of the pandemic.

Troy\

-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham