From: Vicki W
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 1:36 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] can't uninstall dropbox

Hi,

It seems as though Dropbox, in all of the confusion from yesterday, has been moved to a place where it doesn't belong, at least it's not located there on my other computer. The shortcut tells me it doesn't work because the location to the dropbox in my start menu doesn't match the shortcut.

I tried deleting the shortcut and it still won't work.

I have a version of Dropbox to install, but since this version or whatever it is doesn't seem to behaving correctly and isn't located in the correct spot, I decided to just completely uninstall it. I went into the programs on the control panel, selected uninstall dropbox, and because it isn't working, I get a message that it can't be uninstalled because it doesn't seem to be installed in the first place.

Advice please? Can I just delete the folders and pretend they were left behind somehow in the wrong spot and reinstall the program or should I leave it alone and just try to install the new copy? I hate to leave corrupted files behind.

Vicki

Vicki W

That is my next step. I wanted to get people's experience first, but right now it's make a choice or smash my computer! Thanks so much.

Vicki

I don't have an opinion about which is better.

You may get information you find useful by doing a Google search for Dropbox corrupt, uninstall or reinstall
I found one possibly relevant result. I didn't look much further so there may be more farther down. I don't know if it matters if you follow it but there is possibly relevant information. There is a people also ask section and I didn't look much at that. I don't know if there is anything possibly relevant there.

[...]

Mike B

You could go through all the various folders and delete all remnants of Dropbox, but I would think that if you reinstalled Dropbox it would overwrite any corrupted files that might be on your computer.  If you decide to remove all old files remember to look in your User Name folder under AppData / Local & Roaming for Dropbox folders / files as well.

[...]

Gene

But if you look for folders, don't delete the actual Dropbox folder with the content you uploaded. Ivf you do, I think you will lose all those files from Dropbox because it will syncronize and see nothing on your machine.

[...]

I found three ways to solve the problem. I chose the easiest, just install Dropbox. There is then the option to uninstall it once it's reinstalled. Well, it worked and it's still working without reinstalling it, so why mess with what works?

I sure would love to know what caused all of this crazy stuff, especially all of those files showing up in my documents when I access the documents folder one way and looking normal when using another.

Thank you for your help.

Vicki