Cane Tip Question

Lisa Belville

Hi, all.

I'm shopping for a new cane, and I see that Ambutech offers several different tips for their canes.

I'm looking at the High Mileage Rolling Ball Tip or the rolling marshmallow tip looks interesting, too.

I've only had canes with either the metal tip on the old-school NFB carbon fiber canes or the nylon tips for the ambutech canes. I'm thinking a roller tip would be easier to use for prolonged periods and wouldn't ware down as quickly as regular nylon tips.

What's your preference, and which one is easiest to replace?

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

DAVID GLOBE

Cane tips
Now if you have always used a nylon tip, or a mettle tip, changing to a roller tip is quite different as I learned when I tried one. I wasn't used to rolling it from side to side, and I war down the tip on one side. That was the one I called the marshmello tip. I also tried one that was made to slide along the top of the snow in the winter, but because of how they plow here, it wasn't very handy all the time.
Just my thoughts.
David

I'm shopping for a new cane, and I see that Ambutech offers several
different tips for their canes.

I'm looking at the High Mileage Rolling Ball Tip or the rolling
marshmallow tip looks interesting, too.

I've only had canes with either the metal tip on the old-school NFB
carbon fiber canes or the nylon tips for the ambutech canes. I'm
thinking a roller tip would be easier to use for prolonged periods and
wouldn't ware down as quickly as regular nylon tips.

What's your preference, and which one is easiest to replace?

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Lisa Belville

Hmm, I think I'd like the roller tip then.  I stopped using two point touch and switched to constant contact.  It's less tiring on my wrist that way.  Good to know about the wearing on one side, though.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

On 12/2/2022 7:47 AM, DAVID GLOBE wrote:
[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I like the rolling ball tips.  The marshmellow rollers seem to be rough to me.  I was introduced to the jumbo roller, which looked like a wheel, in 1996, and have been using constant contact ever since.  Doing it that way, I don’t worry about that rhythm they always wanted us to use, tapping on the opposite foot that you step, if you know what I mean.  Pam.

Sent from Mail for Windows

I'm shopping for a new cane, and I see that Ambutech offers several

different tips for their canes.

I'm looking at the High Mileage Rolling Ball Tip or the rolling

marshmallow tip looks interesting, too.

I've only had canes with either the metal tip on the old-school NFB

carbon fiber canes or the nylon tips for the ambutech canes. I'm

thinking a roller tip would be easier to use for prolonged periods and

wouldn't ware down as quickly as regular nylon tips.

What's your preference, and which one is easiest to replace?

--

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217@...

Lisa Belville

Do you still use the large roller tip?  I'd be afraid it would be too big.

How easy are these to change yourself?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
On 12/2/2022 8:19 AM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:

[...]

Gene

One thing to consider are times  when you may want to use a cane for balance.  In winter, if there is a lot of snow, large mounds of snow appear at corners with small walkways, often hard to find and slippery.  In such cases, I at times push my cane into the snow to the ground for balance when walking on large mounds of snow.  I don't know if roller tip canes will serve that purpose well.

Gene

On 12/2/2022 9:47 AM, Lisa Belville wrote:

[...]

Monte Single

Hi Lisa and List

I have used the roller ball tip and the marshmallow roller as well.

The marshmallow  does not slide over the cracks and heaves insidewalk as well as the ball,  but is a little  lighter in hand.  So I do prefer the marshmallow all round.

The marshmallow will penetrate the snow better than the ball.

Have your pen or pencil handy;

Pull straight up on the tip of the cane,

Slide the pen between the elastic directly below the hook,

Detach the rollerball  tip from the hook,

Attach marshmallow roller tip to hook,

Remove pen.

Zvroom!

I'm shopping for a new cane, and I see that Ambutech offers several

different tips for their canes.

I'm looking at the High Mileage Rolling Ball Tip or the rolling

marshmallow tip looks interesting, too.

I've only had canes with either the metal tip on the old-school NFB

carbon fiber canes or the nylon tips for the ambutech canes. I'm

thinking a roller tip would be easier to use for prolonged periods and

wouldn't ware down as quickly as regular nylon tips.

What's your preference, and which one is easiest to replace?

--

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217@...

Monte Single

I have a marshmallow tip on my cane. It rolls from side to side as well as the roller ball. It's a bit lighter and definitely smaller.
I prefer it to the larger ball.
Some like coke, some like pepsi, I'll hve the sparkling citrus please.

I'm shopping for a new cane, and I see that Ambutech offers several
different tips for their canes.

I'm looking at the High Mileage Rolling Ball Tip or the rolling
marshmallow tip looks interesting, too.

I've only had canes with either the metal tip on the old-school NFB
carbon fiber canes or the nylon tips for the ambutech canes. I'm
thinking a roller tip would be easier to use for prolonged periods and
wouldn't ware down as quickly as regular nylon tips.

What's your preference, and which one is easiest to replace?

Pamela Dominguez

I have not used a marshmellow in the snow.  But as for the rest of it, I like the size of the marshmellow, but I will sacrifice size for usability.  Another person said to me that she found that even the large ball sticks in cracks, making you get the elbow in the gut, anyway.  I don’t know where those cracks are, but they must be huge!  There is supposed to be some kind of new thing that has a kind of spring mechanism that when you hit a crack, something happens where you don’t get that elbow in the gut.  I’ve never seen it, and can’t remember what it’s called, though.  Pam.

Sent from Mail for Windows

I'm shopping for a new cane, and I see that Ambutech offers several

different tips for their canes.

I'm looking at the High Mileage Rolling Ball Tip or the rolling

marshmallow tip looks interesting, too.

I've only had canes with either the metal tip on the old-school NFB

carbon fiber canes or the nylon tips for the ambutech canes. I'm

thinking a roller tip would be easier to use for prolonged periods and

wouldn't ware down as quickly as regular nylon tips.

What's your preference, and which one is easiest to replace?

--

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217@...

Monte Single

Hi Pam,

Most of the time you hardly notice cracks in sidewalks.

Here in Saskatoon,  like many other parts of Canada and the northern u s in states like  Minnesota, the Dakotas, montana, etc.. there are long winters where the frost goes deep into the ground.  Sometimes with the spring thaws, this causes sidewalk cracks to be come more noticeable because of the shifting ground.  This sidewalk cracks are also accented by large tree roots pushing up on the sidewalk as the trees grow.  So, yes,  there are lots  of cracks in the sidewalk especially in older neighbourhoods.  It ohnly takes the difference of half an inchor so from 1 sidewalk block to another  to give you a jolt.  The roller ball is most effective at lessening these little shocks.

[...]

chris judge

Hi. I tried the roller tips but they kept braking. It's because I'm so use to tapping that getting my head around the concept of rolling the cane back and forth just isn't working for me. If you tap a roller tip it will eventually brake.

I'm shopping for a new cane, and I see that Ambutech offers several different tips for their canes.

I'm looking at the High Mileage Rolling Ball Tip or the rolling
marshmallow tip looks interesting, too.

I've only had canes with either the metal tip on the old-school NFB
carbon fiber canes or the nylon tips for the ambutech canes. I'm
thinking a roller tip would be easier to use for prolonged periods and
wouldn't ware down as quickly as regular nylon tips.

What's your preference, and which one is easiest to replace?

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

chris judge

If you are use to constant contact the roller tip should work fine for you.

I'm shopping for a new cane, and I see that Ambutech offers several
different tips for their canes.

I'm looking at the High Mileage Rolling Ball Tip or the rolling
marshmallow tip looks interesting, too.

I've only had canes with either the metal tip on the old-school NFB
carbon fiber canes or the nylon tips for the ambutech canes. I'm
thinking a roller tip would be easier to use for prolonged periods and
wouldn't ware down as quickly as regular nylon tips.

What's your preference, and which one is easiest to replace?

Pamela Dominguez

I know somebody who gets canes with rolling tips, but he taps them.  I asked why he bothers to get rollers.  He said he rolls them sometimes, but I can’t say I remember hearing him do it much.  He said he has to hear the sound.  I said I can hear the roller, but I can also feel it, so even if I have a quiet roller, I can still feel what’s happening.  Pam.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Hi. I tried the roller tips but they kept braking. It's because I'm so use to tapping that getting my head around the concept of rolling the cane back and forth just isn't working for me. If you tap a roller tip it will eventually brake.

I'm shopping for a new cane, and I see that Ambutech offers several different tips for their canes.

I'm looking at the High Mileage Rolling Ball Tip or the rolling

marshmallow tip looks interesting, too.

I've only had canes with either the metal tip on the old-school NFB

carbon fiber canes or the nylon tips for the ambutech canes. I'm

thinking a roller tip would be easier to use for prolonged periods and

wouldn't ware down as quickly as regular nylon tips.

What's your preference, and which one is easiest to replace?

--

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217@...

Thom Spittle

Are use a pencil tip, but I use constant contact most of the time.

[...]

Alex Stone

If you use a pencil tip with constant contact, you’d be better off with a roller tip, or a ball tip, depending on which you prefer.

On 3 Dec 2022, at 03:48, Thom Spittle <thom3of5@...> wrote:

[...]

I've heard of the pencil tip, but I'm not sure what it looks like or how it would differ than a regular marshmallow tip.  I'm guessing it's thinner?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
On 12/2/2022 9:47 PM, Thom Spittle wrote:

[...]

Marda

On 12/3/2022 7:36 AM, Lisa Belville wrote:

hI've e pencil tip used to be given as the default tip to everybody when I started using a cane in high school.  That was back before they had invented marshmallow tips or other roller tips or glide tips or all those things.  It is skinny and it doesn't move.  It fits snugly onto your cane and is designed to be used with the two point touch technique.  It does not work well with constant contact technique mainly because it gets easily stuck in cracks, grass etc.  Also there are no rolling/moving parts.  I don't know many people who use the pencil tips these days although some still do and they are still available.

Marda

[...]

gbmagoo@...

I love the pencil tip roller on the end of my cane. It looks like a sharpened pencil the taper off the sharpening part before the lead is Sean and so it doesn’t get caught and cracks and stuff. I’ve used that for many years and a rose back-and-forth you can tap roll. It’s awesome.

[...]

On 12/2/2022 4:19 PM, Monte Single wrote:

We used to have those in Massachusetts where I used to live especially after winter.  We called them frost heaves.  When I first moved here though to Texas I found that a lot of the sidewalks had big cracks in them for other reasons which I don't know.  A lot of the surfaces were just uneven and there were big cracks and all kinds of things.  Some of that has improved over the years but it is still a problem and there are still many areas where there are no sidewalks as well.

Marda

[...]

That's what I have, a marshmallow roller tip.  I like it a lot too because I usually use constant contact unless I'm using three point or something for some reason.

Marda