Change sound card settings in Windows 10

John Holcomb II

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Mike B.

From the system tray press enter on Speaker, then press enter on open sound settings.  This will put you on your default soundcard, so tab to, Properties, and press enter to access the various tabs for settings.

The other way is to open the control panel, then go to, Sounds link, and press enter and you should be on the Playback tab on your default soundcard if you have only 1 soundcard installed.  If you have more than 1 soundcard arrow up / down to highlight the soundcard you want to work with.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Change sound card settings in Windows 10

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

John Holcomb II

OR an easier way… which I found from an article on another mailing list…

Tap the windows key and type

mmsys.cpl

Thanks though.

John

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Gene

Or how about Windows keythen type sound card.  I use that method in Windows 7.  In the results list, is  an item called change sound card settings which places you in the ;place being discussed.

The Windows  search is greatly underused and in some ways, not well understood.  It is designed to help you find something even if you don’t know the name.  for example, in Windows 7, if I type uninstall program or uninstall a program in the Windows search, I will find results that will put me in the uninstaller, the same one you get to in other ways.

Sometimes, I want to make sure my firewall is on.  If I type firewall into the Windows search and look through the results, an item is there named Check Firewall state.

One of the main points of the start menus search is to allow you to find things quickly without plowing through layer after layer to get there.  Another intention is to help you find things even if you don’t know just what the thing is called.

Though I am describing the start menu search in Windows 7, it is very hard to believe it has lost these functions and abilities in Windows 10.  those who use Windows 10 may correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

John Holcomb II

I typed exactly what I would in Windows 7 to try to find this.

In Windows 7 I’d  type “Change sound card settings.” That does not work in Windows 10.

Nor did typing “Sound card” as you suggested as I just tried it.

Nor does typing volume as it brings you to the volume  mixer but I could not get to what I wanted from there either.

SO no… You can’t always compare Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Things are in different places and worded differently.

If I type Uninstall a , it automatically comes up with “Uninstall an app”

If you enter on that, it’ll bring up the uninstall an app in settings which is not exactly the same  as Windows 7 either.

Yes its accessible, but the process for uninstalling is a  bit different.

John

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Gene

If you just type sound card, what sorts of things do you see?

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

John Holcomb II

Something which opens bing results on the web.

If you just type sound card, what sorts of things do you see?

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Gene

Someone who knows about the search in Windows 10 will, I hope, address the question further.  I have read that search searches the Internet and, I believe the local machine by default.  the issue may well not be that what I’m describing isn’t there, it may be a matter of how you see local results on the machine itself.

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 6:25 PM

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

John Holcomb II

If you search for something and there’s a local result, it’ll be the first thing to come up .

After that then you start seeing things from the web.

For example. If I search for something like

User

Then It’ll say

User Guide, File, Press right to switch preview
Change User Account Control settings, Control panel, Press right to switch preview
Find results in apps
Explore NVDA user configuration directory, App, Press right to switch preview
Find results in settings
Manage user certificates, Control panel, Press right to switch preview
Other users, System settings, Press right to switch preview
Set up fingerprint sign-in, System settings, Press right to switch preview
Change your password, System settings, Press right to switch preview
Start Magnifier automatically after sign-in, System settings, Press right to switch preview
Change your account picture, System settings, Press right to switch preview
Find results in search the web
user, See web results, Press right to switch preview

I used my down arrow to go thru these results.

If I hit enter on any of them it’ll bring me to the spot where I need to be to change that setting or view that file.

John

.

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 6:25 PM

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Gene

Then what you are saying seems to be that there are no results for sound card on the local machine.  Does that mean that the search in Windows 10 on the local machine has been made less useful than in Windows 7?

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 6:25 PM

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

John Holcomb II

No.

It just means you need to type different things in some cases                       to get what you want .

John

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 6:25 PM

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Jaffar Sidek

John.  If you can state what is it about your sound card you want to set, it migh help me come up with a simple write out for you.  Cheers!

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 6:25 PM

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

John Holcomb II

I think I got it set actually.

I just wanted to make sure it remembered the Line IN setting from my update from Windows 7 to 10.

It appears to have done so.

I just had to re-check the box  to make sure it listens to the audio so I can monitor it.

Thanks though,

John

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 6:25 PM

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Mike B.

If you type just the word, sounds, into the search field then down arrow you'll come to change soundcard settings.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Jaffar Sidek

Ok.  Glad you got it working.  Cheers!

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 6:25 PM

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Frank Ventura

Other method is go into the control panel and hit S until you get to sound and hit enter. Make sure the control panel is set to display in large or small icons and not incategoryview.

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 1:09 PM

Hi folks.

I just updated to Windows 10 and I can’t find this setting anywhere.

Where did they move it?

If I went on Windows 7 to change sound card  settings, I could select playback and recording and choose what came for what.

I did look at the volume mixer in Windows 10 but it wasn’t obvious to me as to  where to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

John Holcomb II

No, I can’t type sounds and have it go to change  sound  card setting in Windows 10.

That works in Windows 7, not Windows 10.

Here’s what I get.

SOUND FORGE Pro 15.0 (x64), App, Press right to switch preview
Find results in settings
Change system sounds, Control panel, Press right to switch preview
Play sounds for My People notifications, System settings, Press right to switch preview
Sound mixer options, System settings, Press right to switch preview
Find results in search the web

If I go to the control panel and type sound, then yes, I can get t to where I need to be.

John

If I type sound into the control panel,