Topics

Changing Browsers

Nancy Hill

If y'all hear a strange noise, that is probably just me complaining about  have to leave Internet Explorer.  I have 'sort of' tried to look at other browsers, but the few I have looked at seem so loaded with things I don't use.  The main thing I like about IE is that, on my PC, it is virtually invisible. Invisibility is what I am looking for.  When I go to a web site, I want to just lookup stuff without having to jump through hoops before I can look something up.

Sorry to be so long winded, but all I needat this point is a good and simple browser.   Easy, Fast and invisible.

Just a further note, in my sights is the Brave browser, but I really have not tried any other than my old friend IE.

Any guidance on Easy, fast, invisible and free browsers would be greatly appreciated..  I do want to enter the 21st century.

Many thanks for your help and understanding.

Nancy

Gene

I don't know what you see that you consider clutter. Part of this may be unfamiliarity with the browser you are using. A web page should look about the same whatever browser you are using.

If you are talking about using a search engine like Google, Firefox, Chrome, and Brave all have the feature that if you use the command control k, you are in an edit field. If you type what you are searching for and press enter, the search engine the browser is set to use for such searches will come up with the results. I believe all three use Google by default. If you find one that doesn't, of these gthree or others, if you ask here, people should be able to tell you how to change it.

[...]

chris judge

Hi Nancy. What do you mean by invisible?

Ps, the command to move to the search, or address field, is control L, not control K.

Chris Judge

[...]

That isn't correct. Control l moves you to the address bar. While it shows search suggestions as you type, that is very different than using control k to go to an edit field, type a search, press enter, and have a Google or whatever the default search engine is page open just as though you had done a search on the web site itself.

[...]

My apologies, still half asleep.

Chris Judge

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I'm liking Chrome. It seems fairly straight forward, and the only major difference between it and IE is that you use ctrl-l instead of ctrl-o to go to web sites, ctrl-o is for .html files on your computer.
The bookmark addition process is odd, but you can get it if you fiddle a bit.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

You were evidently thinking of Internet Explorer, but wrote Firefox by mistake. In Internet Explorer, control o and control l both open the open dialog. In both Firefox and Chrome, control l takes you to the title bar and in both, control o opens files.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 03:50 AM, chris judge wrote:
What do you mean by invisible?
-
I share this question.  Without a definition of what this means, in practice, it's really impossible to help much.

And, like so much in Windows, and in this case in browsers, ALT+D throws focus straight to the web address edit box and selects what's already there, so if you wish to overtype on a tab/page already open to go somewhere else you can.  It works in every modern browser I'm aware of and I just tested it in Firefox, Edge, Chrome, and Brave and it has this behavior in all of them.

Nancy Hill

I am not good at explaining...When I go to google to look something up, IE puts me right where I need to enter my inquiry.  I do not see any mention of IE...just the place where I neeed to ask my inquiry.  When I have tried to use edge, there seems to be more 'things' involved than just landingt on the place I need to ask my question.  That total simplicity is what I am looking for in a new browser.

I am using an updated win10 and one of the latest jaws.

Thanks to all!

Nancy

On 8/31/2020 11:23 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 03:50 AM, chris judge wrote:
What do you mean by invisible?
-
I share this question.  Without a definition of what this means, in practice, it's really impossible to help much.

And, like so much in Windows, and in this case in browsers, ALT+D throws focus straight to the web address edit box and selects what's already there, so if you wish to overtype on a tab/page already open to go somewhere else you can.  It works in every modern browser I'm aware of and I just tested it in Firefox, Edge, Chrome, and Brave and it has this behavior in all of them.

Mike B

When you open a browser after it's fully loaded you can press the letter, E, to take you to the edit / forms field you're looking for, that's if you don't have forms fields set to open automatically.  Once on the edit field press enter to open, type your whatever then tab to the search button and press spacebar or enter.

[...]

Not to mention that all modern browsers use what they tried to get the world to call the omnibox, which is what most of us still call the address box because that's mostly what we're used to entering in it.  But I don't know of a single browser these days where the address box/omnibox is not a combination web search box and address box.  If you type something like "largest cranberry harvest" and hit enter, the search engine you've chosen as your default will run that search and present the results to you then and there.

What each uses as the default search engine is different, but they all allow you to set up a search engine of your choosing in the settings.  You can be certain that Chrome has Google as its default search engine and that Edge has Bing.

And ALT+D will throw focus to the address box/omnibox in all of them, and if something already happens to be there, it will be selected, so you can just start typing to replace it if you're done with whatever you had been looking at, be it a web page or prior search results.

Hope Williamson

Not to mention that all modern browsers use what they tried to get the
world to call the omnibox, which is what most of us still call the
address box because that's mostly what we're used to entering in it.
But I don't know of a single browser these days where the address
box/omnibox is not a combination web search box and address box.
Although I don't use it that way. I still do things the old-fashion way.
I type URLs into the address bar, and use a search engine for searches.
Sometimes if I make a mistake typing something, it will automatically
perform a search. I then proceed to type the correct URL into the
address bar.

Nancy Hill

Thank you Everyone...I am starting to get a little hope.  Hopefully I will give something new a whirl by the weekend.

Thanks,

Nancy

On 9/1/2020 12:00 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

When you open Google as by typing the web site or making it your home page, you should be placed in the edit field as well. But there is no reason to actually go to Google or make it your home page if you are going to use Google to search. What could be more simple than typing control k, typing a search, and pressing enter.

If you aren't being placed in the edit field, when you open the site itself is something I'm not sure of why. That is controled by the site itself, which uses JAVA scripts to move the browser into the field when the site opens.

[...]

I use google chrome and ms edge. In both cases I have google set to be the page I land on when the browser opens. I land on the search field for google and I have forms mode automatically come on, so I just have to type what I’m looking for, then press enter. When the page of search results loads I use the R key to move to the main region of the page. I then use the H key to move through the search results as most of them are denoted by a heading. If you require assistance setting up chrome or edge I’m sure one of us can give you a hand.

Cheers.

Chris Judge

[...]

I consider it a bad use of the home page feature to have it be a search engine site in most cases. I, for example, would much rather have a news site as the home page, since I look at it a number of times a day to see what new content has been added.

Unless I want to conduct a search almost every time I open a browser, why have a search engine as the home page? I can simply issue the command control k, type a search and press enter no matter what page I'm on.

I, myself, would far rather have a news site as a home page, since I look at it a number of times a day to see if new content has been added. others might want another kind of home page but why use a search engine when conducting searches is so easy without being on the actual page?

[...]

Well Gene that's a matter of personal preference. I have several tabs that open when I launch chrome, including google, my banking site, audible, amazon and a number of others. This way I can launch the browser, then quickly move to the page I want by using control tab, or, since I've finally been able to remember the order of the tabs, I can press control 1 to move to my bank, control 4 to move to audible, etc. There are many ways to do things.

Chris Judge

[...]

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely
fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

yes. I don't use tabs in that way.

[...]

RE simplicity in a browser. One quick question, What screen reader are you using, please?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring