Topics

Changing password on an iCloud/Me.com address

Alan Robbins

Hello,

After many attempts at finding a way to change my password on my iCloud.com and me.com email address, am looking for solutions from the list. I have googled as well as talk to Apple support all to no avail.

When I set these accounts up several years ago I remember changing the password but can no longer figure out where to do it. I’ve looked in the iCloud.com site as well as what Apple support suggested on the applied site, all to no avail.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Alan

On the iCloud.com page, right under the login, is the link:  Forgot Apple ID or password?

I cannot seem to connect to me.com at all.

If you cannot use Apple's own "Forgot Password" process to change your password you are going to be out of luck.

Alan Robbins

Brian,

This is the problem I run into. When it talks about changing passwords, it is referring to my Apple ID password, not the one associated with my me.com or icloud.com email address. Very frustrating

Thanks,

Alan

On the iCloud.com page, right under the login, is the link:  Forgot Apple ID or password?

I cannot seem to connect to me.com at all.

If you cannot use Apple's own "Forgot Password" process to change your password you are going to be out of luck.

Alan,

           Are these all not one and the same?   It's an Apple account, a single Apple account, that's used to access all their services, isn't it?

           The last time I had to deal with this an Apple account was much like a Google Account or Microsoft Account in that there was one userid (typically a master e-mail address) and password that's used to access all services.

gbmagoo@...

How to change your Apple ID password on devices with iOS 10.3 or later

1. Open your Settings app.

2. Tap your name.

Your name is located at the top of the Settings page. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

3. Select "Password and Security."

This is in the first section of the menu under "Name, Phone Numbers, and Email." Devon Delfino/Business Insider

4. Tap "Change password" at the top of the screen.

This option is linked in blue.

This option is linked in blue. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

5. Enter your device's passcode to proceed

This is a code at least four numbers long. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

6. Enter your new password twice.

7. Tap "Change" or "Change Password."

Your password must contain at least eight characters, an uppercase and lowercase letter, and a number. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

8. Sign back into your account using your new password on your various devices to access your Apple account.

How to change your Apple ID password on MacOS Catalina

1. Click the Apple icon in the top-left corner of the screen and select "System Preferences."

The menu holds information about your Mac, lets you log out, shutdown, and more. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

2. Click "Apple ID."

You can find this option directly to the right of your name. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

3. Select "Password & Security."

Like mobile devices, this option is underneath the "Name, Phone, and Email" tab. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

4. Click "Change Password."

You can also update two-factor authentication in this menu. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

5. Enter the password you use to get into your Mac.

If you don't remember your password, you'll need to use the Apple ID "Forgot Password" feature. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

6. Enter your new desired Apple ID password twice and click "Verify."

Entering your new password twice ensures you know what your new password is. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

Note: If you have Mojave or an earlier version of the OS, select "iCloud" after entering your system preferences. From there, choose "Account Details" and then "Security" followed by "Reset Password."

How to change your Apple ID password on your web browser

1. Open your browser, go to your Apple ID page and sign in with your current ID and password

If you can't remember your password, use the "Forgot Apple ID or password?" link below the login. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

2. Select "Change Password."

You can find this option under the "Security" label. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

3. Enter your current password.

4. Now enter your new desired password twice.

Confirm your password to ensure you know it. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

5. Click "Change Password."

This is the problem I run into. When it talks about changing passwords, it is referring to my Apple ID password, not the one associated with my me.com or icloud.com email address. Very frustrating

Thanks,

Alan

On the iCloud.com page, right under the login, is the link:  Forgot Apple ID or password?

I cannot seem to connect to me.com at all.

If you cannot use Apple's own "Forgot Password" process to change your password you are going to be out of luck.

Alan Robbins

Brian,

Don’t believe so as neither of those addresses are my Apple ID and the current password for my Apple ID is different than for those email addresses.

Alan

           Are these all not one and the same?   It's an Apple account, a single Apple account, that's used to access all their services, isn't it?

           The last time I had to deal with this an Apple account was much like a Google Account or Microsoft Account in that there was one userid (typically a master e-mail address) and password that's used to access all services.

Alan Robbins

George,

Thanks, but this is to change my Apple ID password which I don’t want to change. These are email accounts I’m referring. Thanks for sending what you did but this is exactly what I’m given each I research the topic.

Alan

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 12:22 PM, Alan Robbins wrote:
Don’t believe so as neither of those addresses are my Apple ID and the current password for my Apple ID is different than for those email addresses.
-
Well, do you know what the current password is for those addresses?   If so, there's zero risk in changing your Apple ID password and seeing if you suddenly cannot access your e-mail, as that would clearly indicate that the Apple ID password is "the master".

It is entirely possible that the password for those e-mail addresses will not actually change until the new one is used for the first time by the e-mail client.  Centralized and synchronized passwords operate in such a way that an existing password will continue to work until and unless you supply the new one, at which point the sync takes place.

Apple has been using a single point of access style for a very, very long time now.  And the only reason I can imagine that those other accounts are still working if you have not updated it in the client(s) is because it's allowing ongoing access with the immediately previous password.

Alan Robbins

Brian,

Makes sense, will give a try a bit later when time permits and report back. It has been years since I changed those email passwords. They are actually the same account as if I email the iCloud one the message shows up on my iPhone under the me.com address

[...]

         @icloud.com, @me.com, and even @mac.com can all be e-mail aliases for the same address, and that's what has to be happening here if the same messages are showing up without forwarding being involved.

          If you didn't see this page when doing your research, read it now: iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses

Alan Robbins

Brian,

Thanks, did not see this but interesting.

I did change my Apple ID but it has not made any difference with the  email addresses. I can still send and receive from them.

Al