changing suffix on files

Sugar

Greetings all,

I am not sure if there is such a program that could help but lately, I’ve been attempting to change all my files on my documents to text files. I currently have them as .msg)from my outlook or e mail)

I have way to many of them.

I don’t want to change every file, since I like the option of going directly to a link and pressing enter to take me where I need to go, if I need to.

This is very helpful

I do have, for example, recipes and thing of this sort that I really don’t need to have them in msg. files.

does anyone know if there is a program that will convert msg. files to text? Using

Using windows 10, office 2016, Jaws 2021  and outlook

thanks

Sugar

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

Colossians 4:5-6

🙏 -Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

Sugar

Howard Traxler

Converting files usually is not so easy as just changing the extension.  Document types of  files with odd extensions are usually created by application programs that insert control codes into the files.  These codes look pretty strange when you read them with a ASCII text reader or editor.  To really convert them, you need a program that can strip out the control codes and  rewrite them as a plain ASCII text file.

An easier way to do it is to open the file in the program that created it, then re-save it using the program's "Save As" function; and save it to a txt file.

Two cents worth; Anyone can add a few cents or modify mine.

Howard

On 9/10/2021 6:23 PM, Sugar Lopez wrote:

[...]

LOL, ok, thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

Please walk with me through a second chance of life:

-Sugar, ❤😘

[...]

Richard Justice

Just for clarification
the letters following the period at the end of a file name
are known as the file extension.
Example: .msg, .eml, .pdf, .txt.

There are programs that will do what you want, but as already suggested,
it is best to save them as text files from the program that created them.

HTH,
Rick

[...]

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Sugar.  First, i would suggest that you move all the files you want renamed to a separate folder for convenience.

Now go to your command line.  Suppose you have created a folder called fileRename for such a purpose on your C drive, then move into that directory by typing the following:

Cd C:\fileRename

You will here that you have successfully changed or moved into your desired directory.

Now if all your email files have, for example a .eml extension, and you want to have them as .txt files instead, then type the following:

rename *.eml *.txt

The * symbol signifies a wild card which allows you to rename any file type to another.  Try this and let us know.  Cheers!

On 11/9/2021 7:23 am, Sugar Lopez wrote:

[...]

Hi. the xcopy command used from the command line will change your files' characteristics from the original to your desired format.  The command line is actually as powerful as it gets, so one must use it wisely.  Cheers!

On 11/9/2021 9:29 am, Richard Justice wrote:

[...]

Gene

That is not correct.  I have never seen this claim and this reliable source refutes it.

If you could change the file itself in such an easy way, this would be well known because it would do away with the need to use a lot of conversion programs.

[...]

Walter Ramage

Hi.  Doxillion will do the job you need doing.  There is a free version and a paid for version but the paid for version is very economical.  If you have used Switch File converter then Doxillion works in the same way as it is from the same stable.  Walter.

[...]

Thank you Walter

would you have that link for me please?

or where can I get it

[...]

Hi.  You can get it from NCH software the link I found is below.  Walter.

https://www.nchsoftware.com/documentconvert/index.html

[...]

Thank you so very much Walter

it is appreciated, truly

[...]

John Holcomb II

Is all of their software accessible? They’ve got a lot.

John

[...]

I don’t know about all, but Switch, the audio conversion software is.

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 11:57 AM

[...]

Oh that’s useful, I could convert *.wav files to *.flac

I don’t know about all, but Switch, the audio conversion software is.

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 11:57 AM

[...]

oh wow, thank you

kind of nervous about this but I will move my files to an external drive and then do this

or try to

thank you so very much

[...]

Hi.  All I can say is all the programmes of theirs I have used thus far have all been  completely accessible.  There are many programmes I have never had a need for so have never used them and can’t comment on their accessibility.  Walter.

[...]

-

Copy the files instead so you have copies if something goes wrong.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2021, Sugar wrote:

oh wow, thank you

kind of nervous about this but I will move my files to an external drive and then do this

or try to

thank you so very much

sugar

???How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.???