changing suffix on files

Sugar

Greetings all,

I am not sure if there is such a program that could help but lately, I’ve been attempting to change all my files on my documents to text files. I currently have them as .msg)from my outlook or e mail)

I have way to many of them.

I don’t want to change every file, since I like the option of going directly to a link and pressing enter to take me where I need to go, if I need to.

This is very helpful

I do have, for example, recipes and thing of this sort that I really don’t need to have them in msg. files.

does anyone know if there is a program that will convert msg. files to text? Using              

Using windows 10, office 2016, Jaws 2021  and outlook

thanks

Sugar

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." 

Colossians 4:5-6

🙏 -Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

https://www.gofundme.com/sugars-transplant-journey

Sugar

Howard Traxler

Converting files usually is not so easy as just changing the extension.  Document types of  files with odd extensions are usually created by application programs that insert control codes into the files.  These codes look pretty strange when you read them with a ASCII text reader or editor.  To really convert them, you need a program that can strip out the control codes and  rewrite them as a plain ASCII text file.

An easier way to do it is to open the file in the program that created it, then re-save it using the program's "Save As" function; and save it to a txt file.

Two cents worth; Anyone can add a few cents or modify mine.

Howard

On 9/10/2021 6:23 PM, Sugar Lopez wrote:

Greetings all,

I am not sure if there is such a program that could help but lately, I’ve been attempting to change all my files on my documents to text files. I currently have them as .msg)from my outlook or e mail)

I don’t want to change every file, since I like the option of going directly to a link and pressing enter to take me where I need to go, if I need to.

This is very helpful

I do have, for example, recipes and thing of this sort that I really don’t need to have them in msg. files.

does anyone know if there is a program that will convert msg. files to text? Using              

thanks

Sugar

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." 

Sugar

Sugar

LOL, ok, thanks

Sugar

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- - Winnie the Pooh

Please walk with me through a second chance of life:

-Sugar, ❤😘

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 5:19 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] changing suffix on files

Converting files usually is not so easy as just changing the extension.  Document types of  files with odd extensions are usually created by application programs that insert control codes into the files.  These codes look pretty strange when you read them with a ASCII text reader or editor.  To really convert them, you need a program that can strip out the control codes and  rewrite them as a plain ASCII text file.

An easier way to do it is to open the file in the program that created it, then re-save it using the program's "Save As" function; and save it to a txt file.

Howard

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Richard Justice

Just for clarification
the letters following the period at the end of a file name
are known as the file extension.
Example: .msg, .eml, .pdf, .txt.

There are programs that will do what you want, but as already suggested,
it is best to save them as text files from the program that created them.

HTH,
Rick

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 8:26 PM

LOL, ok, thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, ❤😘

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler

Howard

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Sugar.  First, i would suggest that you move all the files you want renamed to a separate folder for convenience.

Now go to your command line.  Suppose you have created a folder called fileRename for such a purpose on your C drive, then move into that directory by typing the following:

Cd C:\fileRename

You will here that you have successfully changed or moved into your desired directory.

Now if all your email files have, for example a .eml extension, and you want to have them as .txt files instead, then type the following:

rename *.eml *.txt

The * symbol signifies a wild card which allows you to rename any file type to another.  Try this and let us know.  Cheers!

On 11/9/2021 7:23 am, Sugar Lopez wrote:

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Jaffar Sidek

Hi. the xcopy command used from the command line will change your files' characteristics from the original to your desired format.  The command line is actually as powerful as it gets, so one must use it wisely.  Cheers!

On 11/9/2021 9:29 am, Richard Justice wrote:

Just for clarification

HTH,
Rick

LOL, ok, thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, ❤😘

Howard

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Gene

That is not correct.  I have never seen this claim and this reliable source refutes it.

If you could change the file itself in such an easy way, this would be well known because it would do away with the need to use a lot of conversion programs.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 12:29 AM

Hi. the xcopy command used from the command line will change your files' characteristics from the original to your desired format.  The command line is actually as powerful as it gets, so one must use it wisely.  Cheers!

On 11/9/2021 9:29 am, Richard Justice wrote:

Just for clarification

HTH,
Rick

LOL, ok, thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, ❤😘

Howard

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

Using windows 10, office 2016, Jaws 2021  and outlook

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Walter Ramage

Hi.  Doxillion will do the job you need doing.  There is a free version and a paid for version but the paid for version is very economical.  If you have used Switch File converter then Doxillion works in the same way as it is from the same stable.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sugar Lopez
Sent: 11 September 2021 00:23
Subject: [TechTalk] changing suffix on files

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Sugar

Thank you Walter

would you have that link for me please?

or where can I get it

thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, ❤😘

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Walter Ramage via groups.io
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 11:52 PM

Hi.  Doxillion will do the job you need doing.  There is a free version and a paid for version but the paid for version is very economical.  If you have used Switch File converter then Doxillion works in the same way as it is from the same stable.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sugar Lopez

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Walter Ramage

Hi.  You can get it from NCH software the link I found is below.  Walter.

https://www.nchsoftware.com/documentconvert/index.html

Sent: 11 September 2021 15:27

Thank you Walter

or where can I get it

thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, 😘

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Walter Ramage via groups.io

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Sugar

Thank you so very much Walter

it is appreciated, truly

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, ❤😘

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 8:23 AM

Thank you Walter

or where can I get it

thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, 😘

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

John Holcomb II

Is all of their software accessible? They’ve got a lot.

John

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 11:23 AM

Thank you Walter

or where can I get it

thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, 😘

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Gene

I don’t know about all, but Switch, the audio conversion software is.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 11:57 AM

John

Thank you Walter

or where can I get it

thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, 😘

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

John Holcomb II

Oh that’s useful, I could convert *.wav files to *.flac

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 1:02 PM

I don’t know about all, but Switch, the audio conversion software is.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 11:57 AM

John

Thank you Walter

or where can I get it

thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, 😘

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Sugar

oh wow, thank you

kind of nervous about this but I will move my files to an external drive and then do this

or try to

thank you so very much

sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, ❤😘

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 10:24 PM

Hi Sugar.  First, i would suggest that you move all the files you want renamed to a separate folder for convenience.

Now go to your command line.  Suppose you have created a folder called fileRename for such a purpose on your C drive, then move into that directory by typing the following:

You will here that you have successfully changed or moved into your desired directory.

Now if all your email files have, for example a .eml extension, and you want to have them as .txt files instead, then type the following:

rename *.eml *.txt

The * symbol signifies a wild card which allows you to rename any file type to another.  Try this and let us know.  Cheers!

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

Walter Ramage

Hi.  All I can say is all the programmes of theirs I have used thus far have all been  completely accessible.  There are many programmes I have never had a need for so have never used them and can’t comment on their accessibility.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: 11 September 2021 17:58

John

Thank you Walter

or where can I get it

thanks

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, 😘

Greetings all,

This is very helpful

thanks

Sugar

Sugar

-

Copy the files instead so you have copies if something goes wrong.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2021, Sugar wrote:

oh wow, thank you

kind of nervous about this but I will move my files to an external drive and then do this

or try to

thank you so very much

sugar

???How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.???

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar, ???????

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 10:24 PM

Hi Sugar. First, i would suggest that you move all the files you want renamed to a separate folder for convenience.

Now go to your command line. Suppose you have created a folder called fileRename for such a purpose on your C drive, then move into that directory by typing the following:

rename *.eml *.txt

The * symbol signifies a wild card which allows you to rename any file type to another. Try this and let us know. Cheers!

Greetings all,

I am not sure if there is such a program that could help but lately, I???ve been attempting to change all my files on my documents to text files. I currently have them as .msg)from my outlook or e mail)

I don???t want to change every file, since I like the option of going directly to a link and pressing enter to take me where I need to go, if I need to.

This is very helpful

I do have, for example, recipes and thing of this sort that I really don???t need to have them in msg. files.

Using windows 10, office 2016, Jaws 2021 and outlook

thanks

Sugar

???? -Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

???Sugar

--
ent-
XR