From: Carlos
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:39 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Chat subgrou for Tech Talk

Okay, since I suspect this is likely to be the prevailing opinion, I have gone ahead and created a chat subgroup.  I agree that the excessive chatting may simply be a side effect of the fact that it is a new list, but having it available certainly can't hurt.  One of the differences between a standard/parent group and a subgroup, is that only members of the parent group can subscribe to a subgroup.  I hope that everyone understands that as much as I don't want to be a jerk, if we're going to make this change, I will have to mostly enforce the restriction on too much general chatting/humor on the primary list.  Of course, part of my reasoning for creating a new list was to provide a more open minded/friendly environment so this doesn't mean that I'm going to turn into a raving dictator.  In my opinion and experience, most rules which are too strictly enforced only wind up irritating those who are required to follow them.

The subscription address for the chat list is
and the posting address is

Beth

That gives me an idea for my students'workers listserv thingy dingy. We will have a chat subgroup so we can check up on each other. Great idea.
Beth
Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407
Skype: denverqueen0920
Ms_denverqueen on Twitter
Instagram: denverqueen0920
Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920

LOL I think I left out a P in the subject.
[...]

Carlos

It also occurs to me that the chat subgroup might have another useful benefit.  If you subscribe to it, but at certain times it becomes too much or is overwhelming your inbox, you can simply disable it by setting it to "no mail" for as long as you like and you still won't be missing out on content from the primary list.

[...]

Barb O'Connor

This is definitely a good idea.

Barb

[...]

Oh, now that is a good idea. I didn't know about the sub group thing.
I rather like that bit.

Melissa

On 9/1/15, Barb O'Connor <broconnor1972@comcast.net> wrote:
[...]

TechTalk+chat+subscribe@groups.io
and the posting address is
TechTalk+chat@groups.io

MamaPeach <mamapeach67@...>

I wish Freelists.org offered that. I would move my list but I have moved it a couple of times and don't think I need to move it again for a while.

[...]

Gene

Another advantage is that if a topic turns into too much chat after starting out as a technology topic, you, Carlos can ask that it be taken to the chat list and it can be done without causing problems or resentment.  On the blindtech list, when the owner or moderators asked that something be taken off list, it was an absurd request and was tantamount to closing the thread.  Where was the thread supposed to go?  No provision was available.  That caused needless resentment.  I suggested in the past that Blindtech have a chat group associated with it but the owner and moderators refused to consider the idea.

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:08 PM

[...]

That is a good thought and may be a reasonable compromise Gene.  I new there were good reasons why I invited you.

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:08 PM

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:08 PM

[...]

Juanita Martin <jordmartin@...>

On another list I belong to, there's off topic weekend where we can discuss andy and everything from Friday evening until Sunday evening.  We just put otw in the subject line and go from there.  I sent a message about this to the BT list owner and he never commented on it.  We might try something like that here.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:08 PM

[...]

Thank you.  As the new car said to the owner when he drove it off the lot, I depreciate that.

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:08 PM

[...]

I'm willing to consider almost anything within reason to keep the list useful but still flexible if enough members support it.  That is another interesting idea.

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:08 PM

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:08 PM

[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

This sounds like a good decision. And if the chat dwindles, you can delete the sub-group. Should satisfy everyone but of course that is impossible. I have high hopes for this list and think it will be a good one.
Marie

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

How do you set something for no mail? Probably that is according to your
mail, mine being Outlook 2013.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

<mailto:TechTalk+chat+subscribe@groups.io>
and the posting address is
TechTalk+chat@groups.io <mailto:TechTalk+chat@groups.io>

Carlos

It is not client dependant. You have to go to the homepage which in this case would be
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/TechTalk
for the primary group or
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/TechTalk+chat
for the chat subgroup. Then you have to sign in with your Email address and assign a password. At that point you can log in to the site, select the
"Subscription"
link, and then choose the
"No Email"
radio button. Most list providers also have mail commands which you can send to perform such actions much more quickly. Although I could not find the list of commands for groups.io so if anyone either has the list or knows where they can be found, I would appreciate it.

[...]

Matt

No it is done thru the email list site.

Thanks,
Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

LOL, like your sense of humor here.

Barb

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:08 PM

[...]

I think going to the page is faster than the commands.  I've never had a password for Group Eo, however.

Barb