Chrome, bookmarks, history, gone, very upset

David Mehler

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm more upset with the week I've had or the chrome
topping I got last evening. Chrome did a purge of unused profiles, it
smoked *all* of my site history that I've visited (that's very
annoying but minor), it also *smoked* entirely my *complete* list of
bookmarks, they are gone. I'd like to get them back. Currently I'm not
using Chrome and won't until this is settled, but Edge which I do not
like. Some things I've read say it can't be done once Chrome does this
autopurge, I don't know why it felt the need to destroy years of
bookmarks, I'd like them back. I do not have chrome automatically
logging in to a google account.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.
Dave.

Bharat

Hi Dave,

Unless you are signed in, I am afraid, there's no way to retrieve
them. I remain signed in on both Chrome & edge & it makes my life
easy.

In fact, contrary to the common advice, I keep my Google history &
other permissions on for everything possible. Even for things that
may not apparently benefit me directly.

& trust me, I haven't suffered even a minor data loss, theft or any
other form of profile misuse or manipulation by Google.

Would request you to remain signed in on both Chrome & Edge so you can
save protect your data.

Thank you,

Bharat.

On 11/6/22, David Mehler <dave.mehler@...> wrote:
Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm more upset with the week I've had or the chrome
topping I got last evening. Chrome did a purge of unused profiles, it
smoked *all* of my site history that I've visited (that's very
annoying but minor), it also *smoked* entirely my *complete* list of
bookmarks, they are gone. I'd like to get them back. Currently I'm not
using Chrome and won't until this is settled, but Edge which I do not
like. Some things I've read say it can't be done once Chrome does this
autopurge, I don't know why it felt the need to destroy years of
bookmarks, I'd like them back. I do not have chrome automatically
logging in to a google account.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.
Dave.

Thomas N. Chan

Unless all along you are using the guest login or so, if chrome purge it, it might be just gone for good.
What I can suggest is,
go into
%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data
Copy and paste the above location and it should bring you to the  path where chrome store all the profiles, guest or login ones.
You should find some of the default profile folders, like example
"Guest Profile"
"Profile 1"
"Profile 2
"

and many which chrome shouldn't delete.
Go into those folders and find the file call bookmark without any extension

If you find them, you should back them up.
If you find the bookmark you have lost, I will recommend the steps below, else, there's nothing I can do or suggest further.

1. Close chrome, move those profile folder you found, like, profile 1 to profile 10 etc. to somewhere like, c:\backups
2. Then, open chrome which will recreate the profile folder
3. You might want to login to your google account and start the sync process.
4. create a bookmark so that it will create the bookmark file again
5. once done, close chrome
6. find the new profile folder it has created. just go inside, it should have that bookmark file you just did.
7. You might want to replace the bookmark file.
8. Once done, open chrome, technically, you should have all your bookmark again and yet, sync back to google.