Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 3:26 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Chrome Question

        Hi Everyone:

Since using google chrome, I when to properties and put in a shortcut
key and I made it control alt C which works great but it only lasts a
couple of weeks and then deletes itself.  When I tried to hit control,
alt C, nothing happened so I went back into properties and I had to do
everything all over again.  I can't tell you how many times this has
happened since I started using Chrome.  Even when I put the shortcut key
in, I have to go to where it says and maximize it again.  Everything
that I have done deletes itself.  So after I maximize it, I hit apply
and then OK. All of my other programs are fine and the shortcut key
stays and doesn't delete itself.  I saw something in properties where it
says change Icon but I didn't do anything.  Any help on this would be
greatly appreciated.  I just have no idea why this keeps happening and I
even had someone who is sighted put it in there way and it deleted
itself like it does for me.

Shelly

James Bentley

Hi Shelly,

Lets see if this works.

1. Type the word chrome in to your Windows search box.
2. Hit your application key or, type shift+F10.
3. Use the up and down arrow keys to find, Open file location and hit enter.
4. Use your up and down arrow keys to find Google chrome
6. Hit your application key or, type shift+F10.
7. Up arrow to properties and hit enter.
8. Tab to the place where it says hot key none.
9. Type the hotkey that you want.
Note, you might get stuck using something different than control+alt+C because you have already tried that before.
If so, maybe Control+shift +C will be OK for you.
10. tab to apply and hit the space bar.
Note, . if you get declined, just hit the space bar again.
11. Shift+tab to the OK button and hit the space bar.

Now, you should be all set.

HTH,

James B

[...]

Mike B

Hi Shelly,

Another way to get around having a shortcut keystroke is pinning the Chrome icon to the taskbar.  I never have had a taskbar shortcut icon fail or get deleted.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!  Sent from my iBarstool.

[...]

Gene

That's another good way you may want to try.

If you pin it to the task bar, you can use a Windows key shortcut to open it.  There are already some prepinned programs so some numbers, from 1 to 9, are used.  But it will be the next number, in order from 1 to 9, to be available.

[...]

Hi Mike,

I’ve never pinned a program to the task bar.  How do I do that?  How many programs can you pin?

Cheers,

James B

[...]

Hi James,

First press, Windows key + T, to open the taskbar.  Now right arrow and count what is currently pinned there already.  If you want to unpin an item from the taskbar, highlight the icon, open the context menu with the applications key or Shift + F10, now up / down arrow to, Unpin from taskbar, and press enter.

If you want to pin an icon to the taskbar, lets say a shortcut icon on the desktop, highlight the desktop icon, open the context menu, arrow up / down to, Pin to taskbar, and press enter.

Here's how my taskbar is layed out.
Windows key + 1 = IE11.
Windows key + 2 = Notepad.
Windows key + 3 = Outlook Express.
Windows key + 4 = Word document1.
Windows key + 5 = Chrome.
Windows key + 6 = Jaws16.
Windows key + 7 = Jaws 18.
Windows key + 8 = Jaws 2018.
Windows key + 9 = Jaws 2019.
Windows key + 0 = Jaws 2020.

You can have up to 10 items pasted to the taskbar, but in order to paste a folder shortcut icon to the taskbar you have to modify the properties of the folder icon shortcut.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!  Sent from my iBarstool.

[...]

Shelly Kane

Gene:

You hit the nail on the head when you said something is causing the registry to lose the shortcut key.  Like you, I have no idea why this would be happening.  I have no idea how to use the send to feature.  Thanks for trying to help.

Shelly

On 11/7/2019 12:56 AM, Gene wrote:
Try using Send To to send the short cut to the desktop and making the shortcut key there.  If you don't know how to use Send To to do this, someone will explain it.  I don't use Windows 10 and I'm not sure if the procedure is identical to yours in my versions of Windows so I'll leave the directions to others.

I have no idea if that will solve the problem.  the information for short cut commands is stored in the registry and it sounds as though something may be causing the registry to lose its information.  But what that may be, I don't know.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 3:26 AM

[...]

James:

Thanks for the directions.  Where is the windows surch box? Sorry, don't know much about windows 10 since I just got this computer 2 weeks ago.

Shelly

On 11/7/2019 1:16 AM, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

.

Shelly Kane

Mike:

I have never heard of this before.  How would I go about doing this and is it easy to do?  I am not very tech savvy but can follow directions very well.

Shelly

On 11/7/2019 7:32 AM, Mike B wrote:

[...]

Mike, this is very handy.  I read some where on the net the other day that getting rid of items on the desktop makes a PC run better.  Especially photos and screen shots.  But the author also recommended that all possible shortcuts also be removed.

I’ll play with this a bit.  I think I might need a keyboard with two Windows keys instead of just one Windows key on the left.

James B

[...]

Just curious. Did your computer decide to cooperate.

Hope so,

James B

[...]

The Windows key is to the left of the left alt key. In other words, the left alt key is the first key to the left of the space bar. Next should be the Windows key.

You should also be able to type control+escape to get to the search box in the start menu. Jaws may announce Cortana or Jaws might just say search. If you hearCortana, you can still type words there. This is one of the most powerful features of Windows when you need to try to find something or open a program. etc.

James B

[...]

I believe that things on the desktop take up memory.  I'm not sure why, because desktop items are in a folder, so my information may be wrong.  But this information about removing things from the desktop sounds so misleading that it might as well be wrong in most cases
  It is important to be very careful of sources.

Unless you don't have enough memory or just barely enough and are exceeding it at times, I doubt doing anything to the desktop will cause any problems.  Shortcuts are tiny files, perhaps two or three lines long.  That they could have any impact on performance sounds preposterous.

Sent: Friday, November 08, 2019 3:04 AM

[...]

Lisa Belville

I have been hearing this about Desktop shortcuts since Windows '98.?? Supposedly, the more shortcuts on your Desktop, the longer the boot time because the OS has to verify all of those shortcuts.?? I haven't noticed any longer boot time for this PC.?? When I got it, Windows 10 was already installed and it had the default apps Windows puts on the desktop, along with several others the local place added.?? I've since added at least a dozen more and the time from completely shut down to log on and ready to use hasn't changed by a noticeable amount since I started using this PC.

Maybe if someone had hundreds of shortcuts and they were constantly moving files and folders around it would make a difference, but who does that anyway?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
On 11/8/2019 10:08 AM, Gene wrote:

I believe that things on the desktop take up memory.?? I'm not sure why, because desktop items are in a folder, so my information may be wrong.?? But this information about removing things from the desktop sounds so misleading that it might as well be wrong in most cases
?? It is important to be very careful of sources.
??
[...]

Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.?? In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

[...]

I suspect that you would notice a slower start up if you had a lot of large files on your desktop.  For example, screen shots, photos and loads of other vary large files.

I do not remember where I read the other day, but some guy was saying that putting large files in my documents saves a lot of processing time as opposed to having them on the desktop at start up.

I agree that shortcuts are very small files But apparently Windows has to verify each one at start up.  I think it would probably take a lot of them to affect start up very much.

James B

[...]

In Windows 10 when you press the Windows key to open the start menu, you are placed in the search field automatically, so press the Windows key and type, chrome, and a list will populate with results.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!  Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Friday, November 08, 2019 1:03 AM

James:

Thanks for the directions. Where is the windows surch box? Sorry, don't
know much about windows 10 since I just got this computer 2 weeks ago.

Shelly

On 11/7/2019 1:16 AM, James Bentley wrote:
> Hi Shelly,
>
> Lets see if this works.
>
> 1.  Type the word chrome in to your Windows search box.
> 2.  Hit your application key or, type shift+F10.
> 3.  Use the up and down arrow keys to find, Open file location and hit enter.
>    4.  Use your up and down arrow keys to find Google chrome
> 6.  Hit your application key or, type shift+F10.
> 7.  Up arrow to properties and hit enter.
> 8.  Tab to the place where it says hot key none.
> 9.  Type the hotkey that you want.
> Note, you might get stuck using something different than control+alt+C because you have already tried that before.
> If so, maybe Control+shift +C will be OK for you.
> 10.  tab to apply and hit the space bar.
> Note, .  if you get declined, just hit the space bar again.
> 11.  Shift+tab to the OK button and hit the space bar.
>
> Now, you should be all set.
>
> HTH,
>
> James B

Shelly Kane

James:

Thanks so much for all of your help.  I followed your directions and everything went well.  The only problem I had was when I went to apply, it said access denied and it also said cancel or continue so I just hit continue and then I tabbed through the whole thing to find OK.  It wouldn't let me shift tab.  I just picked a new hot key and it seems to work fine.  I hope it doesn't delete itself like when I was doing it in properties.  I also maximized it as always when I was in properties.  Take care and thanks again.

[...]

Awesome!

that's what this list is for.

James B